Trade week ramblings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LondonSaint
Club Player

Trade week ramblings

A long week... i didn't think we did as well as we could have..

what we needed
- more midfielders who can run and carry.. and more importantly better decision making and kicking skills... Ball, CJ, Eddy, Raph on the same team are our weakest links...

we did ok here with Lovett and Peake despite paying a little over the odds, i thought we could have actually gone after Kennedy and McGlynn from the hawks as well.. both regular running mids by the end of the season and young... i think sydney got them for 39, 46 & 70.. basically peanuts.. perfect replacement for Ball, Baker (when he retires), eddy, dempster, Raph.. notice i didn't mention CJ here as i think his kicking deficiency is compensated by his tagging and hardness..

- leading forward, let's face it.. without riewoldt leading, we have no other target.. and after 5 years in the system.. Gwilt is not going to be the answer.. Lynch is too young... wanted us to go after Ben McKinley a little harder.. i think our second round might have be enough. Fevola would have been good on field, but not sure if we could fit him in the cap and at the end of the day.. he's probably better off leaving melbourne and start fresh..

X Clarke.. can you believe he has been in the system for 8 years?? and has never gained consistency due to injury/form... so, pick 60 to help him prolong his career is reasonable..

Ball? what is his real value?? yes, he can tackle like a mad man and handball... but can't kick to save his life and does not really have an impact ala Hays/Goddard/Dal Santo in the midfield, e.g. does not provide run and carry and is slow/poor kick...he wanted out... and Collingwood wanted something for nothing.. not even wanting to give up one of their many youngsters... i actually think Collingwood doesn't really rate Ball that high either.. otherwise, a deal would have been done.. a young player and a mid round pick.. Now if Ball chooses to leave the club. then so be it.. I think McQualter has actually gone past Ball or at least equaled Ball in form/abilities...

Anyway.. just my 2 bobs... If i had to rate our trade week.. I would have given us a C+... purely on the fact that we could have traded for a half forward + a couple of more mid-fielders...

Rowdy
Club Player

Well said................

"Our season is still alive," Lyon said. "It's not the end for Robert."

Harvey's mates stood listening to those words, perhaps planning to keep the AFL's longest career lingering a while yet. Then turned into softcocks and blew it YET again.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We picked up Lovett and Peake, and have players such as Armitage, Steven and Geary that will be pushing for spots in 2010.

Why cannot Gwilt be the third forward, seemed to own this spot better than any others that gave it a go?

The forward line was the third highest goal scoring of the comp, it's only the accuracy that needs to be worked on over the summer

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Makes you wonder what a successful trade period represents.
Fev nominates the Saints as his club of choice. Do we go after him. Not really. WHY ?
Trade Ball and Kosi and see how serious Carlton are.
As it turns out Brisbane get him for peanuts and we are left with the best CHF in the competition and a part time full forward.
When push comes to shove, we ask ourselves as a club how do we get better for the 2010 season. The answer is a Coleman medalist who may well give us 90 - 100 goals for the year and do we go for it? No we don't , we keep on hoping someone called Kosi will live up to a promise he showed eight years ago.
It ain't gonna happen folks. Fev for Kosi and Ball. Dreams are made of these things.
WAKE UP.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Longwayfromhome wrote: Fev nominates the Saints as his club of choice. Do we go after him. Not really. WHY ?
Read the Herald Sun lately? :shock:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
xander
Club Player

Re: Trade week ramblings

LondonSaint wrote:A long week... i didn't think we did as well as we could have..

what we needed
- more midfielders who can run and carry.. and more importantly better decision making and kicking skills... Ball, CJ, Eddy, Raph on the same team are our weakest links...

we did ok here with Lovett and Peake despite paying a little over the odds, i thought we could have actually gone after Kennedy and McGlynn from the hawks as well.. both regular running mids by the end of the season and young... i think sydney got them for 39, 46 & 70.. basically peanuts.. perfect replacement for Ball, Baker (when he retires), eddy, dempster, Raph.. notice i didn't mention CJ here as i think his kicking deficiency is compensated by his tagging and hardness..

- leading forward, let's face it.. without riewoldt leading, we have no other target.. and after 5 years in the system.. Gwilt is not going to be the answer.. Lynch is too young... wanted us to go after Ben McKinley a little harder.. i think our second round might have be enough. Fevola would have been good on field, but not sure if we could fit him in the cap and at the end of the day.. he's probably better off leaving melbourne and start fresh..

X Clarke.. can you believe he has been in the system for 8 years?? and has never gained consistency due to injury/form... so, pick 60 to help him prolong his career is reasonable..

Ball? what is his real value?? yes, he can tackle like a mad man and handball... but can't kick to save his life and does not really have an impact ala Hays/Goddard/Dal Santo in the midfield, e.g. does not provide run and carry and is slow/poor kick...he wanted out... and Collingwood wanted something for nothing.. not even wanting to give up one of their many youngsters... i actually think Collingwood doesn't really rate Ball that high either.. otherwise, a deal would have been done.. a young player and a mid round pick.. Now if Ball chooses to leave the club. then so be it.. I think McQualter has actually gone past Ball or at least equaled Ball in form/abilities...

Anyway.. just my 2 bobs... If i had to rate our trade week.. I would have given us a C+... purely on the fact that we could have traded for a half forward + a couple of more mid-fielders...
Good post. I felt that our trade week started out well with getting Lovett but the Clarke & Peake deals weren't very good. As for Mckinley i would have thought West Coast wouldn't want to get rid of him especially since he is contracted and kicked 30 goals from 17 games in a bad year for him.

onlooker
Club Player

Re: Trade week ramblings

LondonSaint wrote:A long week... i didn't think we did as well as we could have..

what we needed

Basically my thoughts as well. It's an interesting point you raise with the H'thorn trades to Sydney. I don't know Peake; I can't recall seeing him play but if I have there is no lasting memory. The comments on Peake have been mixed at best and given our other needs and the relative pick priorities the H'thorn players would have been worth a closer look.