This week proves we should follow the club not individuals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This week proves we should follow the club not individuals

We got rid of one of our favourite players in X for nothing but saving a salary. We are most likely going to lose one of our favourites in Bally for nothing. We received Lovett who 3 years ago was a hated man on this site and also a player Peake who most on here would have rated either soft or no good.

But it is all about the club and we if we can gain one position on the ladder because of these trades then who cares. Players come and go but the club is always be here and if at this stage the most unsuccesssful club in the AFL needs to do these things to succeed then I say go for it.

It is also the reason I dont get to involved in falling in love with our players or hating oppossition players because you will never know when they may be our players.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Good point

Another opportunity awaits!
Milton66
SS Life Member

Hmmmmm. Pluger66 goes missing in action and resurfaces after trade week.

Very suspicious.

Clark Kent and Superman were never seen in the same room either. :?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Hmmmmm. Pluger66 goes missing in action and resurfaces after trade week.

Very suspicious.

Well picked up. Very busy week for me.

Thanking you all
Paul Conners.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

nice plugger

just curiously plugger, what was ur take on the whole week?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote::lol:

nice plugger

If we lose Bally I think we may be just behind as we have lost pick 16 but overall Lovett may be the difference so lets just wait and see.

Sainterman
Club Player

Nicely put OP there Plugger. It is hard not to get involved though. I am very disappointed about Bally, for so many reasons, and still hoping, without much reason, that he will stay on and they will mend the fences they need to. As many have said, it seems there was more than meets the eye with this situation.

Also disappointed to lose X, a personal favorite of mine and I thought he may yet come good. I understand him moving on though, a better offer, more opportunity, and a classy dignified exit. I wish i could think the same way about Ball.

But, in the end the club endures long after all these players are gone, and we will still be here and supporting as best we can. Still after the GF loss a couple of weeks ago, and then what I believe a very average trade week (from an emotional POV) it hasn't been a great Saints month.

I am sure once the ball bounces next year though and Round 1 kicks off we will all be focused on that one big prize again.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote::lol:

nice plugger

If we lose Bally I think we may be just behind as we have lost pick 16 but overall Lovett may be the difference so lets just wait and see.
I see it same.

However, should we keep Ball...on reduced contract AND have added Lovett for pick 16 we have addressed the run/carry issue AND kept a very good in/under player.

IF that eventuates Id say this week was handled very well by Lyon and Co.

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

waiting to see how it pans out.
i wasn't too happy with luke's treatment as he deserves more respect from the club - but as i've intimated ross doesn't really adhere to our motto - he's after a flag. and i can't blame him for not bending over for the pies.
the whole situations a bit messy and i think conner's is most at fault here.
but it's all conjecture.
most of all unhappy with some many posters turning on luke based on supposition.

lyon is trading based on need, so happy if he's happy. obviously he feels he needs ball more than pick 25. if that's the case i think the club needs to mediate a good old fashioned heart to heart with luke - all cards on the table.
i think everitt would've been consolation that he could bear, but less than that, no.
hope luke stays, but if so he will need to cut ties with conners. and the club needs to yield slightly in terms of his contract given what has happened this past week. the coach did say he'd allow players to leave - now he's added an exception.
if he stays he should be given full support and a fair chance by the coach, players, club, and supporters.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Hmmmmm. Pluger66 goes missing in action and resurfaces after trade week.

Very suspicious.

Thanking you all
Paul Conners.
To bad you cant spell your own name Paul :D

As far as the OP goes. Isn't it more fun to have goodies and baddies though than the truth and fact?

I mean if Lyon wasn't seen as the baddie how could some on here arrive at the fact that he deliberately left Ball on the bench in the frantic 4th qtr and thereby didn't give us the best chance of winning the flag??

You want to quach all conspirarcy theories in the bud P66 - shame on you :D :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Milton66
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Very suspicious.

Thanking you all
Paul Conners.
To bad you cant spell your own name Paul :D

As far as the OP goes. Isn't it more fun to have goodies and baddies though than the truth and fact?

I mean if Lyon wasn't seen as the baddie how could some on here arrive at the fact that he deliberately left Ball on the bench in the frantic 4th qtr and thereby didn't give us the best chance of winning the flag??

You want to quach all conspirarcy theories in the bud P66 - shame on you :D :wink:

People in glarse howses shouldn't peel on other peeples spelling. :shock:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
St Michele
Club Player

Re: This week proves we should follow the club not individua

[quote="plugger66"]

But it is all about the club and we if we can gain one position on the ladder because of these trades then who cares. \

We can't gain any more psoitions on the ladder so it is a GF win or nothing now :-)

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It is also the reason I dont get to involved in falling in love with our players or hating oppossition players because you will never know when they may be our players.
Agreed, although I was a huge fan of X.

I think we'll end up a little behind on overall quality in the final wash-up, without Ball, X and 16; but with Lovett and Peake. However, the extra dimension they add just might be very important to the side. If they can be taught to lay a good tackle we'll end up ahead of the ledger.

And I can't help hoping that the recruiting staff have a solid plan for one of our late draft picks - maybe a smokey from a suburban league, Sweeney or Gwilt style?

Saints picks over 50 since 2000:

00: Mark Gale, Robert Powell, Daniel Wulf
03: Sam Fisher, Craig Callaghan
04: James Gwilt
05: Phil Raymond, Justin Sweeney
06: Jarryd Allen, Matthew Ferguson
07: Fraser Gehrig, Eljay Connors
08: Alistair Smith, Paul Cahill, Colm Begley

From that list, it looks like one in every fifteen become a superstar (Fisher) so let's hope it's one this year!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Mark Gale was a gun.

At golf.

:roll:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Am I allowed to agree with you again plugger???!

ytw
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It is also the reason I dont get to involved in falling in love with our players or hating oppossition players because you will never know when they may be our players.
Agreed, although I was a huge fan of X.

I think we'll end up a little behind on overall quality in the final wash-up, without Ball, X and 16; but with Lovett and Peake. However, the extra dimension they add just might be very important to the side. If they can be taught to lay a good tackle we'll end up ahead of the ledger.

And I can't help hoping that the recruiting staff have a solid plan for one of our late draft picks - maybe a smokey from a suburban league, Sweeney or Gwilt style?

Saints picks over 50 since 2000:

00: Mark Gale, Robert Powell, Daniel Wulf
03: Sam Fisher, Craig Callaghan
04: James Gwilt
05: Phil Raymond, Justin Sweeney
06: Jarryd Allen, Matthew Ferguson
07: Fraser Gehrig, Eljay Connors
08: Alistair Smith, Paul Cahill, Colm Begley

From that list, it looks like one in every fifteen become a superstar (Fisher) so let's hope it's one this year!

The G-Train was pretty superstar material as well.

BanGerS
Club Player

Smokey might be Chris Irving from Seaford. Saints recruiters had a look at him in the MPNFL Peninsula Grand Final. He's 22 and won the last two league medals and was also awarded best on ground in the game between the VCFL & Ammos.

shmic_s
Club Player

BanGerS wrote:Smokey might be Chris Irving from Seaford. Saints recruiters had a look at him in the MPNFL Peninsula Grand Final. He's 22 and won the last two league medals and was also awarded best on ground in the game between the VCFL & Ammos.
think you could be onto something there. i've heard a couple of teams have been having a bit of a look at the kid.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ytw wrote:The G-Train was pretty superstar material as well.
not after he was redrafted, though.