whats the deal with nominating a club ???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

whats the deal with nominating a club ???

seriously this s***s me to no end you want out fair enough but you go where we send you ... it will pave the way for free agency ... fair enough say you wanna stay in Victoria but dont force the club to have to deal with a club that may not have a suitable option

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sainterman
Club Player

Agreed, in all cases except where good players nominate St Kilda as their preferred destination.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Who a player nominates means nothing. The club will talk to them first and see what they have to offer. Then they will go to every other club and see if anyone else will offer more.
I can't imagine 14 other clubs just sitting back and watching the Pies get BAll for next to nothing. If the Pies don't come up with the goods, he won't be going there, simple as that.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

he can go to freo for pavlich,
essendon for hurley :D

Motown

Re: whats the deal with nominating a club ???

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:seriously this s***s me to no end you want out fair enough but you go where we send you ... it will pave the way for free agency ...
Actually, players not getting to the club they want will pave the way to free agency faster than anything.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i mean even the judd interviewing clubs as his preferance thing .. for crying out loud how often does the employee interview the empolyer ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Motown

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i mean even the judd interviewing clubs as his preferance thing .. for crying out loud how often does the employee interview the empolyer ??
How often does your last employer tell you where you can work in your next job?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Football is a paid job by definition these days and if a player has their heart set on a particular organization, it's fair enough they nominate it as their preference.

Also, cause he's out of contract, he could just f**k off and take his chances in the pre-season draft and we get nothing so it's important that this trade is handled professionally.

There is always a three-way!

Bad management is bad management
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Though I don't think the pies would chance it in the PSD. They wouldn't have a low pick (purely based on where they finish).

Someone like Richmond,Melbourne even Essendon would keep a PSD pick free if Ball was to go into the PSD, and he would be snapped up by any of the above quick as can be. The pies will have to trade if they want him.

3 way trade the most likely (hopefully)

Carpe Diem
matrix
Saintsational Legend

chite!!
i actually forgot he was out of contract
s*** a deal has to be done here

dont want a stevens debarcle like at port ffs

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the Pies have offered Bally a leadership role, perhaps vice-captaincy...hence his preference?

The blokes got more leadership skills than most of their team combined

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Unforgiven wrote:Though I don't think the pies would chance it in the PSD. They wouldn't have a low pick (purely based on where they finish).

Someone like Richmond,Melbourne even Essendon would keep a PSD pick free if Ball was to go into the PSD, and he would be snapped up by any of the above quick as can be. The pies will have to trade if they want him.

3 way trade the most likely (hopefully)
Good points about the PSD, but if a player says they want to move to a particular club, why would others clubs snap them up in the PSD when they aren't the preferred choice, doesn't it risk drafting an unmotivated player?

Then again, why would you nominate for PSD if you weren't prepared to play anywhere?

Bad management is bad management
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

The Nick Stevens dealo comes to mind. Blue snapped him up. The point is I don't think Ball would risk going to a Melbourne/Richmond/North etc.

You can't enter the PSD and say I'm not going to you, you or you. Draft tampering indeed.

I honestly beleive that if it came down to it, and a trade could not be worked out, he would re-sign with the saints. Try and repare the relationship and get what he wants.

Carpe Diem
ace
Saintsational Legend

What is happening is players through their management are finding a club willing to pay big for their services and which the player would be happy playing for- which means a competitive team.
They do this before even letting their own club know what they are up to.

Lets face it, few good players like to play in team where they are surrounded by klutzes.
Often part of the players needs are they want the chance to be the best they can be and to have a chance at a premiership.
How many star players can you name who deliberately traded down besides Ben Cousins.

For instance Burgoyne thinks Hawthorn have a place for him in their team, have premiership prospects and have plenty of cash in their salary cap to pay him big.
St Kilda may meet the first two but would not be able to pay him so big.
Now Luke Ball wants more game time, more money but he wont go to Port Adelaide for one of the reasons Burgoyne is leaving - they don't have premiership prospects.
St Kilda's only chance at Burgoyne is to clear some space under the salary cap by trading away Ball but he wont go to any club that is not a contender.
St Kilda therefore would need a three way deal with someone mediocre and willing to go to Port from the contender club (because they are not getting enough game time) and also St Kilda putting in some draft picks.

At the end of the day if a player doesn't want to be traded he can refuse to sign a contract with the new club and go to the pre-season draft and nominate his salary which may be only his preferred club is willing and able to pay.
There is a lot of brinkmanship involved with time limits to force resolution of impasses.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bozza1980
Club Player

The player has to agree to the trade at the end of the day regardless what the two clubs decide.

So it makes sense that the player tell the club his prefered option.

All this said one only has to look at the Fraser Gehrig trade, he told the Weagles that he wanted to play at Collingwood, yet we arranged a deal with the Weagles and convinced Frase that Moorabbin is the home he was searching for.

I hope Lukey gets where he wants to go and we get adequate compensation, remembering that he is a b&f winner and former captain of our club not to mention a number 2 draft pick.

That said, Collingwood will no doubt pull their old trick and he'll end up somewhere else. Hopefully it will be a win-win for us and Ball.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Motown wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i mean even the judd interviewing clubs as his preferance thing .. for crying out loud how often does the employee interview the empolyer ??
what job sends you across the country via a draft ;)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Motown

Solar wrote:
Motown wrote:
ImageThis one? :wink:

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

The guy sitting second left would want to be sure his gun's safety catch was locked on... :shock:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

would be deserved if ball ends up at a shicenhousen club like melbourne. you turn your back on a team that has just played in a grand final and then have the cheek to nominate the filth, you need to go to football limbo, imo.

ala shane woewodin.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Richter
SS Life Member

Odd thing to say Trav. All to do with supply and demand surely. I am lucky because in my job there is a worldwide shortage. Which has meant that I have been able to get myself "traded" ( a few years ago now) from a job in the outer East suburbs of Melbourne to the Inner South East..... got a minor pay rise out of it to...... :D :wink:

And somehow I think Judd is a bit more of a standout in his job than I am at mine..... I'm a GOP..... B grader at best......

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
groupie1
Club Player

Motown wrote:
Solar wrote:
Motown wrote:
ImageThis one? :wink:
Class act!
Easily the best response on this forum for the calender year. Well done mate, hats off to ya!

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga