Time For A Big Statement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Time For A Big Statement

This is about the Irish kid, Tommy Walsh.

We need to get him, and keep him. And, we can. He spent 2 weeks here last year and all who saw him got it out of their trousers and gave it a damn good thrashing.

The young fella can play, and I don't care what sport it is that he's asked to play. He's 6 five, can run, step, spin, confront, juggle, twist..........

I know this is romantic nonsense, but F*** me have a look at this kid. He IS the greatest Irish prospect, tough, hard, ambitious, that anyone has ever seen.

Tommy Walsh makes Stynes, Kennelly, O'Hairpin, Clark, Wight, et al look like hacks.

This kid can seriously play. Christ I hope Nixon ia successful.

This fella is a fairytale - a very big fairytale.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
ace
Saintsational Legend

The problem is his Dad has been his club coach and gaelic football is the family religion.
If he wins an All Ireland final he may move but not until.

But it would be friggin fantastic if we could get him - he plays sport with the aggression and self belief of Wayne Carey and Johnathan Brown.

Nixon is now just the middle man with his hand out for a finders fee, St Kilda has to persuade the kid to want to come and play in Australia.
Last edited by ace on Sat 03 Oct 2009 2:34am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
matrix
Saintsational Legend

he looks the goods
i think OLB chucked some youtube links up the other day, i watched them and a few more too
he looks alright huh
moves alright for a big fella

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

We're on the right tram. There's a big debate going on in Ireland about their best going elsewhere. But, and this is a huge but, the chief of football in Ireland has come out and said they shouldn't use nationalistic, parochial nonsense (I'm paraphrasing) to deny a kid like Walsh his chance elsewhere.

It looks like we're after Walsh and his best mate from Kerry, David Moran. This is us being smart. Get both of them here, and have Colm Begley as their ambassador. Don't leave one of them on their own - support them.

I'm absolutely sure we should move heaven and earth to get this kid here - he is a rarity. The other reason for pursuing him is the fact that the AFL gives has a seriously concessionay attitude to those who arrive from outside the system.

Get Tommy Walsh - NOW.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
ace
Saintsational Legend

I just checked it out, he plays for Kerry and he was in the team with Tadhg Kennelly that just won the All Ireland Final.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_All-I ... ship_Final

Maybe he will be ready to make the move after all.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

And, Ace, Kennelly doesn't hold a candle to this kid.

When he spent his 2 weeks here such was the impression he made that the hierachy had him playing senior football in his first year. Dal Santo almost went into shock when he was told the kid was 19.

They come along once in a blue moon. This kid is one of those - and HE"S 6'5".

A rare opportunity, indeed.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Tis true.

This bloke is a gun.

Rediculously agile for a six foot five bloke.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
santazzi
Club Player

he sounds like the catch of the decade. I like the name. TOMMY WALSH....it has a killer ring about it........but why shold he come to us?........what advantage do we have over 16 others??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:he sounds like the catch of the decade. I like the name. TOMMY WALSH....it has a killer ring about it........but why shold he come to us?........what advantage do we have over 16 others??
Sounds fantastic - but why us?

And what chance do we have?

I know he was here during the year. Mabye the GF appearance by the Saints may sway him.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

OP

To say he makes Stynes look like a hack............maybe just more than alittle over the top

Thommo

But yes the reports are good ........a lot of water to go under the bridge.

saint4life
PJ
SS Life Member

The most telling in all the reports is the interview with his father where he says he's not going anywhere. Still under the old man's rule is Tommy.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Raven
Club Player

PJ wrote:The most telling in all the reports is the interview with his father where he says he's not going anywhere. Still under the old man's rule is Tommy.
The way I interpreted that interview was that he was saying "no it's not definite, it's just speculation", rather than "no way, he's staying here, I won't let him go".

ace
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:The most telling in all the reports is the interview with his father where he says he's not going anywhere. Still under the old man's rule is Tommy.
Like I said, the problem is his Dad, he has been his club coach at Kerins O'Rahilly's.
Dad is Sean Walsh a former hero of Kerry, winning 7 All Ireland titles.
Gaelic football is the family religion.

Imagine Gary Ablett Jnr playing for Geelong but with Dad Gary Ablett Snr as his coach (and that he had actually been raised in the same household as Dad).
Now persuade junior that his future lies in soccer becasue he can make more money playing for Manchester United.

Tough ask, but I think it is time St Kilda helped this boy climb out from under Dad's shadow and not allow Dad to relive his glory days through his sons efforts.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

man united is a tad diff...at least gaelic is kinda like footy
but yeah i see what ya saying

but imagine, 2 years away, new culture, new game, learn a lot, life experience

get the bloke here 8-)

Elvis
Club Player

ace wrote:
PJ wrote:

Imagine Gary Ablett Jnr playing for Geelong but with Dad Gary Ablett Snr as his coach (and that he had actually been raised in the same household as Dad).
Now persuade junior that his future lies in soccer becasue he can make more money playing for Manchester United.

Tough ask, but I think it is time St Kilda helped this boy climb out from under Dad's shadow and not allow Dad to relive his glory days through his sons efforts.
Maybe not the best example Ace. GAJ's mates were a telling influence on his decision to play football. Sure, having GAS as a father helped, but I think at least at one stage in his life if GAJ had the chance to take up a wrestling career in Mexico to get away from his train wreck of a father, then he would have taken it!

This kid looks fantastic, hope he is in the red, white and black soon!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh has mates who encouraged him to play Gaelic football and his Dad is certainly no train wreck like GA Senior.

Just shows how much harder it will be to wean Tommy Walsh off Gaelic football.

I am trying to illustrate how hard it will be, but success will make the effort worth while.

Elvis
Club Player

ace wrote:Tommy Walsh has mates who encouraged him to play Gaelic football and his Dad is certainly no train wreck like GA Senior.

Maybe we should send an entourage to 'persuade him'. I'm thinking Eric Bana, maybe Warnie and hell, let's get Mick Gatto along for the ride in case things turn nasty! :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 03343.html
AFL move on the cards for Walsh after contract offer from St Kilda

By Cliona Foley

Saturday October 03 2009

SPECULATION has increased that star Kerry forward Tommy Walsh is about to take up a full-time Australian Rules contract offer and that Kingdom team-mate David Moran will also avail of the chance of an AFL trial next month.

"There are a lot of rumours going around and I presume that's because St Kilda are believed to have made an offer to Tommy (Walsh) last year,'' said Kerry selector Ger O'Keeffe last night.

"To the best of my knowledge, Tommy has not made any decision about his future."

etc etc.............

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

Elvis wrote:
ace wrote:Tommy Walsh has mates who encouraged him to play Gaelic football and his Dad is certainly no train wreck like GA Senior.

Maybe we should send an entourage to 'persuade him'. I'm thinking Eric Bana, maybe Warnie and hell, let's get Mick Gatto along for the ride in case things turn nasty! :D
We need to arrange a few Brendan Fevola moments for the lad.
Then offer him way out by coming to St Kilda and starting over again with a clean slate. :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Dal Santo almost went into shock when he was told the kid was 19.

Not surprising as he is currently 21.

Let not over-hype the kid....or rather young man.

YES he is a great talent..

BUT he would be learning AFL very late in life. He would also be Transitioning to a professional sport quite late as well. Add in homesickness and it mounts up to several hurdles.

But YES he would be great to get on an International scholarship.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
Dal Santo almost went into shock when he was told the kid was 19.

Not surprising as he is currently 21.

Let not over-hype the kid....or rather young man.

YES he is a great talent..

BUT he would be learning AFL very late in life. He would also be Transitioning to a professional sport quite late as well. Add in homesickness and it mounts up to several hurdles.

But YES he would be great to get on an International scholarship.
Irish are not eligible for Internatonal Scholarships because Ireland is not part of the International development region. - a concession to Gaelic football.
However Irish are eligible to become International Rookies and therefore able to be rookied for 3 consecutive years if age permits.
International Rookies can be preselected.

If a club wants to take an Irish player as an international senior player he would have to nominate for the draft but risk losing him to some other team.
OR more wisely, the club could leave a spare place on its senior list, preselect the Irishman as an international rookie, promote him after the rookie draft leaving a rookie place unfilled, or because of the senior vacancy, leave him as a "nominated rookie" still elgible to play senior football.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bump..note date of article is Oct 3.

saintsRrising wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 03343.html
AFL move on the cards for Walsh after contract offer from St Kilda

By Cliona Foley

Saturday October 03 2009

SPECULATION has increased that star Kerry forward Tommy Walsh is about to take up a full-time Australian Rules contract offer and that Kingdom team-mate David Moran will also avail of the chance of an AFL trial next month.

"There are a lot of rumours going around and I presume that's because St Kilda are believed to have made an offer to Tommy (Walsh) last year,'' said Kerry selector Ger O'Keeffe last night.

"To the best of my knowledge, Tommy has not made any decision about his future."

etc etc.............

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

SRS,
Dal was told by one of our medical staff that Walsh was 19 when he was invited out here. He had watched him train and was shocked because of how physically developed he was for a kid of 19 (he may have been 20 at the time, but the medico told Dal 19). I believe the word powerful was used. And, quick, not followed by "for his size", just quick.

Dal inquired because of how well the kid trained and, for someone from another sport on a flying visit, took to our code like a duck to water, and with real enthusiasm and energy. And his basic skills impressed everyone, as well.

They wanted him to stay last year, but the young fella had commitments and, apparently, is not the type to make decisions impulsively. It's now a year on, Kennelly has been back in Ireland playing this year, so I'm sure the kid has a better idea of what's involved.

And, remember, Ross The Boss was at Sydney with Kennelly when they played in GF's. Add that to the reasons Kennelly went home (father's demise) and I'm sure Kennelly couldn't advocate to the kid that he give the opportunity a miss.

[/quote]