worst part of the aftermath

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

worst part of the aftermath

i found that the geelong supporters i knew were generally fairly good understanding the bitter dissapointment experienced by all St. Kilda fans.

The worst and most infuriating thing was the idiots i knew that do not follow football and would barely know the final was on (some who have never even been to a game) took great delight in getting in all the cheap shots they could. This i found was pathetic and excruciatingly annoying as they will never understand what every St. Kilda fan felt that day.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

what is killing me is the people who are trying to be sympathetic and continue to mention the game, and how shattered the boys looked.

most did mean well but FFS i don't want to talk about it

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Similar experience for me.

I've been grateful that most (even up here) have respected that I really don't want to talk to them about the game and its outcome. It's still a little raw when you start reflecting on the 10,000 "what ifs" and that horrible moment when you realised 2009 was over, especially after we dared to dream that it would happen. I still don't see any merit in chatting about it with those who don't have the same emotional investment.

I agree about the additional shots that some get gratification from making. A few idiots who know about my St Kilda thing and have decided to make ill-advised comments sharing their wisdom haven't been given much O2. On the other hand the Geelong folk I know well have been thoughtful enough to give me some space!

shoreline
Club Player

What kills me is Mondays experts, Tuesdays experts and so on.
People that only watch the grand final, No other game for the season (throught the bottom of a beer glass), people that dont know the style of St Kildas play, People that were not even at the ground all telling me, whats wrong and what should of happened last Saturday.
Remember these people have never play the game or even been to a AFL game.
Mondays Bloody Experts.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Re: worst part of the aftermath

Gilbert The Great wrote:i found that the geelong supporters i knew were generally fairly good understanding the bitter dissapointment experienced by all St. Kilda fans.
One of the most appropriate reactions I got was from a regular customer from work, geelong supporter, middle aged lady, really lovely person. She came in, took one look at me and said, "Can I give you a hug? I know you don't want to talk about it. I know how it feels". And that was all.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Suicide is Painless

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

Monday experts are pathetic, shouting off what they heard on the telly or something they may off read.

The Fireman wrote:Suicide is Painless
a MASH fan are we

Scoop
Club Player

cowboy18 wrote:Similar experience for me.

I've been grateful that most (even up here) have respected that I really don't want to talk to them about the game and its outcome. It's still a little raw when you start reflecting on the 10,000 "what ifs" and that horrible moment when you realised 2009 was over, especially after we dared to dream that it would happen. I still don't see any merit in chatting about it with those who don't have the same emotional investment.

I agree about the additional shots that some get gratification from making. A few idiots who know about my St Kilda thing and have decided to make ill-advised comments sharing their wisdom haven't been given much O2. On the other hand the Geelong folk I know well have been thoughtful enough to give me some space!
What I've noticed is that those that are true football supporters (yes even Collingwood supporters), understand that emotional investment and show due respect and understanding.

It is the moronic, non-invested, so-called football supporters that feel the need to make cheap shots. I have tried to treat them with the contempt they deserve, but it is hard not to lash out. So far have managed to play the straight bat...but it is hard.

Had a similar experience to SaintDebi this morning with one of the canteen ladies, who is a staunch cats' supporter. She understood exactly how I was feeling and told me so...in very similar words to SaintDebi's lady....without the hug tho. and also didn't mention those hateful words..."there's always next year".
Last edited by Scoop on Tue 29 Sep 2009 11:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

A workmate was in a car with her friend on Sat evening, when she heard a mention on the radio about the Saints family day the day

Workmate gets her phone out....convo goes like this..

Friend: What are you doing?

Workmate: I'm sending a congratulations message to a guy at work whos a complete Saints tragic..I just heard they are having a family day tomorrow so they must have won!

Friend: OMFG DONT DO IT....THEY LOST!!!!!!!!!

Workmate puts phone away and correctly thinks what a close call she just had to possibly recieving the most abusive return text in the history of mobile phones lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
mich13
Club Player

saint66au wrote:A workmate was in a car with her friend on Sat evening, when she heard a mention on the radio about the Saints family day the day

Workmate: I'm sending a congratulations message to a guy at work whos a complete Saints tragic..I just heard they are having a family day tomorrow so they must have won!

Workmate puts phone away and correctly thinks what a close call she just had to possibly recieving the most abusive return text in the history of mobile phones lol
:lol: That brings a laugh, can just imagine the horrified expression!!

"You can get more money elsewhere, but [St Kilda] is our home, we love it to death, so why would you want to leave?"

- Nick Dal Santo 21 Jun 2005
matrix
Saintsational Legend

worst part of the aftermath??
waiting another 5 months for the footy to start :evil:

SaintDebi
Club Player

saint66au wrote:A workmate was in a car with her friend on Sat evening, when she heard a mention on the radio about the Saints family day the day

Thanks for sharing that S66au. I actually got a chuckle out of that. Guess its a sign I'm actually moving on........

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:worst part of the aftermath??

EPL will have to do till then

Scoop
Club Player

SaintDebi wrote:

Thanks for sharing that S66au. I actually got a chuckle out of that. Guess its a sign I'm actually moving on........
If ur up for another chuckle...check this out...nhopefully it hasn't been posted before...apologies if it has.

Also for the kiddies out there, the language (written) is a bit fruity...
Last edited by Scoop on Tue 29 Sep 2009 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Gilbert The Great wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:worst part of the aftermath??

EPL will have to do till then
who u follow?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

It takes on many changes...

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
It takes on many changes...
Ch-ch-ch-ch changes :D

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

West ham

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

worst part was dealin (still not comfortable spelling that with the g) with my brother, Eric who is 5. i have force feed stkilda to Eric since he was born. He knew how to sign the song before he knew row you boat. he has memorised the list every year. He cannot see a number anywhere with out saying the corresponding player (out for dinner, " i just want number 10 please....gooooose"
He was completly broken saturday. (foot note, he lives with my mother, other brother and step dad- non football lovers) i was interstate he called off my mums phone and could not get a sentence out. He is smart enoung and understands the you win and lose games, but he couldnt understand why you would lose a gand final...what do you say to that?? he actually said he was sad because "The Sainters hurt me"
it took me a little to stop crying myself- never heard someone in my family, especailly a little tacker so upset- and i felt it was my fault- then i thought of this beauty-
i said , Eric what does leah (me) always say..."practice makes perfect" Since then he is happly reminding all the geelong supporters he incounters (they live in caroline springs vic, not far from geelong) of the fact. Might seem simple to us but his been in his saints gear since sunday.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Can you explain that to bummer thompson

I love this club
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

My next-door neighbours, lovely people that they are, arrived back in our unit complex at about the same time as us. They were most gracious and humble...there again, I guess they sort of like the idea of keeping thier windows intact :twisted: :wink:
Seriously, both houses had been decorated in club colours during GF week, and it looks as if its going to be "last man standing" as to whose colours will be taken from the windows!!!!!!!
Its nice to have friends who can engage in banter without falling out!
...there again they like the idea of keeping their windows intact :twisted: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert The Great wrote:West ham
up the 'ammers!!!

great choice
u legend 8-)

spert
Saintsational Legend

I found most supporters had a soft spot for the Sainters which I found a small compensation (exceptions were Dogs supporters who were still whinging about free kicks and that they should have been in the GF). After all, we did all the hard work, and stuffed up at the last moment, effectively walking up and passing the cup to Geelong.

megs4#31
Club Player

the only bad comments i've had actually since Sat was from a geelong supporter. He basically told me to suck shite...hahahah that kind of thing. So i told him congrats on the win and your lucky we didn't kick straight. Not giving him the ammo to retaliate really.

The suprising thing i've found is that being in WA you would've thought everyone would've been haha you lost you suck...BUT all my friends were going for saints back home and i actually haven't come across someone yet who said they went for the Cats. I must either have really awesome friends or everyone's feeling our pain slightly.

Go saints, 2009 is our year!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I just hate it when people say, next year.

Qld Saints Supporter Group