"Saints pair set to say goodbye" - re Ball/Maguire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

"Saints pair set to say goodbye" - re Ball/Maguire

It would be a big shame to see the breaking up of the group that has pledged loyalty to each other. Let's hope a deal can still be made.

".....Ball, a member of the Saints' losing grand final side, and Maguire, who did not play a senior game this year, are both out of contract and managed by Paul Connors. But while Connors did not want to comment on plans for Ball or Maguire, he acknowledged he was "in no hurry to meet" with St Kilda......"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lets see how much the guernsey means compared to $$$$$$

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Contract negotiations through the media by Mr Connors?

We will soon see how much Ball wants to stay at the Saints and how much the Saints want Ball to stay.

I reckon that Melbourne, having lost their inside mid McLean, will offer him more than we can afford to pay him (salary cap restrictions).

I love the way he plays but I fear we may lose him because his perceived worth to other Clubs will be more than we can afford to pay.

It may well come down to a choice of him accepting less money to stay adn be a part of trying to win a premiership or accepting more and going to a Club that is years away from having a realistic chance.

older saint
SS Life Member

Not the first time Paul Connors does contract negotiations through the media

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Not the first time Paul Connors does contract negotiations through the media
Yep.

Seems to be a favoured method of his.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

given the content of article

headline typical of media

saint4life
PJ
SS Life Member

Now's not the time to start losing inside mids - we need some pretty hard at it players if we're to sustain our push for the top. Last thing I think we can afford is to start rebuilding the midfield with inexperienced players.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne will be doing whatever they can to get Ball, but I reckon Bally would take a $ cut. That said, with Armo coming through, perhaps Bally will be squeezed out.

We'll see.

Love him as I do, Lyon seems lukewarm, and Ross holds the scissors.

Maguire has no value to anyone but us. Risk risk risk.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't want either of them to go :(

reincarnated

Ball had a good game last Saturday and he is intelligent enough to realise his last contract was way over his worth as a footballer both in terms of age and talent

He owes us. Very dissapointing to see him go and would be frowned upon much like Melbourne supporters to Brock McLean

Maguire was not in our 22 all year so it seems like we (as the internet forum folks) are really wanting to hold onto him for the sake of it. Max did not play for most of the year and he still could not get a game. Surely that is saying something

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Now's not the time to start losing inside mids - we need some pretty hard at it players if we're to sustain our push for the top. Last thing I think we can afford is to start rebuilding the midfield with inexperienced players.
But we may be placed between a rock and a hard place.
We have Ball coming out of a contract that was 'back-ended' and signed when he was a co-captain and B7F winner.

How much is he actually worth (in $terms) to us on his current state. IMO not the 600K he is reportedly being paid this season.
He won't finish in the top 10 of the B&F and so is not worth even 400K.

reincarnated

Thinline wrote:Melbourne will be doing whatever they can to get Ball, but I reckon Bally would take a $ cut. That said, with Armo coming through, perhaps Bally will be squeezed out.

We'll see.

Love him as I do, Lyon seems lukewarm, and Ross holds the scissors.

Maguire has no value to anyone but us. Risk risk risk.
It would take a money driven s.o.b to leave a team who just made the Grand Final to move to the last placed club with no chance of a replica performance for five years plus

PJ
SS Life Member

For money or love??

It's going to be a hard call - I'd be interested to know how Bally thinks his body is holding out.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
PJ wrote:Now's not the time to start losing inside mids - we need some pretty hard at it players if we're to sustain our push for the top. Last thing I think we can afford is to start rebuilding the midfield with inexperienced players.
We have Ball coming out of a contract that was 'back-ended' and signed when he was a co-captain and B7F winner.

How much is he actually worth (in $terms) to us on his current state. IMO not the 600K he is reportedly being paid this season.
He strikes me as someone to whom money may play second fiddle to loyalty and opportunity.

Tell you what: if it were me and I was offered $300k to be part of a prem tilt, regardless of me salary before the offer, I'd be taking the $300k.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
reincarnated

Thinline wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

He strikes me as someone to whom money may play second fiddle to loyalty and opportunity.

Tell you what: if it were me and I was offered $300k to be part of a prem tilt, regardless of me salary before the offer, I'd be taking the $300k.
Minus tax = Nothing close to 300k.

Luke Ball is an intelligent human being. He is setting himself up for a career in business somewhere quite well and being an ex footballer will only assist him in getting his name infront of the pack of the average job seeker. The world is much more rosier for Luke Ball than most.

It's obvious that he was overpaid even prior to getting injured. Reincarnated believes that contract was ridiculous and overvalued the player.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I blame your self referencing for our loss.

From here on end I shall call you Fat Vernon, Reincarnated, after the chub guts in Stand By Me.

Don't know why. Just seems to suit.

I could sledge you for stating the absolute obvious, but I don't have the energy.

Ball ain't no mercenary. He'll stick, or he'll retire.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

minus tax so what??

600 ?? still taking home half
300 grand a year?!!!

how much money is enough????
if i can live off 50 in my hand and travel the f****** country to see them play then im sure he'll survive
honestly, any player that chases money can go ahead and leave as far as im concerned.

but yeah i think he will stay
i hope he is loyal
Last edited by matrix on Tue 29 Sep 2009 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.

reincarnated

Thinline wrote:I blame your self referencing for our loss.

From here on end I shall call you Fat Vernon, Reincarnated, after the chub guts in Stand By Me.

I could sledge you for stating the absolute obvious, but I don't have the energy.

You always state you do not have the energy to continue yet you type that you do not have the energy to continue. So why type it? Save your energy.

Reincarnated is correct on this issue. Luke Balls knows it. Not saying he not a talented footballer but to suggest he was in the top 20 in the league re player payments is a bit of a cockup. No chance in hell he deserves it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Thinline wrote:I blame your self referencing for our loss.

You always state you do not have the energy to continue yet you type that you do not have the energy to continue. So why type it? Save your energy.

Reincarnated is correct on this issue. Luke Balls knows it. Not saying he not a talented footballer but to suggest he was in the top 20 in the league re player payments is a bit of a cockup. No chance in hell he deserves it.
Fat Vern.

You must be shattered about your mate Fev flying the coop, huh?

Look, Vern, I care little for your tone, your thoughts and the tired selective drivel you regurgitate over and over and over and over.

You are Bernard Shakey on Kosi only GENERALLY.

And at least Bern has sense of humour, a grasp on the concept of brevity and superior musical taste.

Over and out on you from now until eternity.

Put that down as a victory if you wish. I don't mind.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It won't be money that Luke would considering as the key factor for leaving.

It would be whether or not he is comfortable playing half a game and every second week in the 2s.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

What an interesting twist...

Hmmmm.

One leaves, the other waltzes on in...

Circumstantial, but still...

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Don't trust anything you read or hear in the media coming from Paul Connors.

Lowest of the low in terms of player managers.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
undecided
Club Player

If they are both out of contract they go straight into the PSD do they not? We should sign them up regardless, we can't lose them for nothing

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It won't be money that Luke would considering as the key factor for leaving.

It would be whether or not he is comfortable playing half a game and every second week in the 2s.
I understand where you are coming from, but when it came to finals time, he was in the side.

The way I see it, the past few months wouldn't have increased his value in the market, exactly the opposite.

I am hoping that is because he is not going anywhere, and Ross is putting in the hard work, to get the best out of Luke for the Saints long term.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:It won't be money that Luke would considering as the key factor for leaving.

I understand where you are coming from, but when it came to finals time, he was in the side.

The way I see it, the past few months wouldn't have increased his value in the market, exactly the opposite.

I am hoping that is because he is not going anywhere, and Ross is putting in the hard work, to get the best out of Luke for the Saints long term.
I just don't think he'd leave for any other reason than him being told, or realising himself, that the club doesn't believe he has a significant role to play in the future.

That's what it will come down to.