The window may not be as big as we think!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The window may not be as big as we think!

I, like most Sainters, will be there for the boys, rain hail or shine and I'm nothing but proud of what the boys have achieved this year.

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, as we need to be positive and we need to be optimistic and we need to believe, but I always believe that you only get so many chances in life and as much as we love to complain to the footy gods for dealing us a raw deal, I think that in recent years we have had more chances than most teams get.

Top four finishes in 04, 05, 08 and 09, a top eight finish in 06 and we finished ninth in 07, half a game out of the top eight. That's five final campaigns in six years, one grand final berth. Not a bad crack at the flag really and while I like many I believe that the Saints will be hungrier than ever to make amends in 2010, I can't help but feel maybe we may only have ONE more chance at redemption. The majority of the football world expects us to be on the rebound, but after much promise of greater things to come at the heart-breaking ends of our 97 and 05 seasons, I know that it will only be harder, not easier to be in the mix again and everything will have to go right for us.

Looking at our list, players that I can't help but wonder about are Hayes and Baker. They absolutely bled for us on Saturday but they're not spring chickens anymore. Gardiner, King and Milne are also nearing the twilights of their career. While Kosi was in career-best form this year, his kicking efficiency started sliding at the wrong end of the season, though I'm positive the hand injury didn't help and again, Roo's knee will the talking point during the pre-season.

As I said, I agree that we are still a chance for redemption, but we may only have one more crack. The club has been taught valuable football lessons in the past, it's important to learn from them.

Take nothing for granted Saints and know that we love you all!

Bad management is bad management
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Three years before the rifle's reloaded IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yep,I'm taking zero comfort in people saying "you'll win it next year,you'll be that hungry".

Sick of "next year"....F#ck!

It's such a long way to get to the Grand Final. We are only one injury to Hayes,Roo,dal,joey,etc away from having a season derailed.

We had the most golden opportunity to take it,and we blew it.

Bring back the Lockett era
Beej
Saintsational Legend

What are the chances do you reckon of us going through another season without a major injury?

No doubt in my mind that we've got the talent to challenge for as long as we have Riewoldt fit and playing his best footy.

Geelong have copped major injuries to Ottens and Johnson yet still have the cavalry to make grand finals.

If we were to lose two players of similar importance, how would we go?

How frustrating.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Yep,I'm taking zero comfort in people saying "you'll win it next year,you'll be that hungry".

Sick of "next year"....F#ck!

It's such a long way to get to the Grand Final. We are only one injury to Hayes,Roo,dal,joey,etc away from having a season derailed.

We had the most golden opportunity to take it,and we blew it.
Exactly, that is why so gutted

saint4life
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Roo's had a run with serious injury before now - knees, strings, collarbones. Kosi. Lenny. BG too. Perhaps they've got it out of the system? Sometimes they just don't get hurt...J Broiwn for instance. G Ablett.

Just trying to get that cup to half full again...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Milton66
SS Life Member

Yeah, whatever. Lucky the club doesn't give up as easily as some supporters. :roll:

Just as we did it without Max, we can do it without Milne, Baker or King.

The world doesn't stop just because a few players retire, ffs.

In case you haven't noticed, we've developing young players quite nicely.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Did some of you actually watch our team play this year? This team is destined for greatness. We were the best team this year (even in the GF that we lost) against a team that has been up for 3 years. I hope someone bumps this next year the week out from the Grand Final. Top draft picks are non-existent after this year for all existing clubs so they are all in the same boat as us. Where are they going to find that extra mile to match us and Geelong over the next 2-3 years?

Players get old (happens to the best of us), but we will draft and replenish as the years pass, we won't remain stagnant. Ross has proven that he does quite well at the draft table to date. Can not wait for trade week. Think it is going to be very interesting.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Milton66
SS Life Member

saint75 wrote:Did some of you actually watch our team play this year? This team is destined for greatness. We were the best team this year (even in the GF that we lost) against a team that has been up for 3 years. I hope someone bumps this next year the week out from the Grand Final. Top draft picks are non-existent after this year for all existing clubs so they are all in the same boat as us. Where are they going to find that extra mile to match us and Geelong over the next 2-3 years?

Players get old (happens to the best of us), but we will draft and replenish as the years pass, we won't remain stagnant. Ross has proven that he does quite well at the draft table to date. Can not wait for trade week. Think it is going to be very interesting.
Exactly.

How many years did Roos get Sydney in the finals?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I think we're as well positioned for the forseeable future as anybody. We don't have many players approaching the end. Those who do have reasonable replacements on the list. Lenny is obviously the big one, but that should be offset by a mature group of star onballers including Dal Santo, Montagna, Gram, Ray and maybe Luke Ball. I don't think any of the others are irreplacable.

Here's a shot at the side some time in the future:

B: Dempster - Dawson - R. Clarke
HB: Lynch - Fisher - Gilbert
C: Gram - Goddard - Ray
HF: Montagna - Riewoldt - Armitage
F: Schnedier - Koschitzke - McQualter
OB: McEvoy - Dal Santo - Jones

IC: Ball - Geary - Stanley - Steven

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:
saint75 wrote:Did some of you actually watch our team play this year? This team is destined for greatness. We were the best team this year (even in the GF that we lost) against a team that has been up for 3 years. I hope someone bumps this next year the week out from the Grand Final. Top draft picks are non-existent after this year for all existing clubs so they are all in the same boat as us. Where are they going to find that extra mile to match us and Geelong over the next 2-3 years?

Exactly.

How many years did Roos get Sydney in the finals?
This was the first year he missed and they will be one of the dangers IMO next year. They won't miss the finals for 2 years running. Roos' last year next year (from memory, maybe 2 to go), he will definitely go out with a bang. i think they will slide once he has gone, though for a couple of years. Longmire may prove me wrong, just have to wait and see.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Roo's had a run with serious injury before now - knees, strings, collarbones. Kosi. Lenny. BG too. Perhaps they've got it out of the system? Sometimes they just don't get hurt...J Broiwn for instance. G Ablett.

Just trying to get that cup to half full again...
True. Can't underestimate the importance Misson has had.

Amazing how many less injuries you have with a thorough fitness department on board that have a strong focus on preparation.

Niggles are now well managed through customised training loads. Players aren't risked therefore they get the time they need to fully recover and are naturally more confident with their bodies.

Strong in body, strong in mind.

It makes sense that last year was a great one in terms of injuries.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 29 Sep 2009 12:14am, edited 1 time in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:Yeah, whatever. Lucky the club doesn't give up as easily as some supporters. :roll:

Just as we did it without Max, we can do it without Milne, Baker or King.

The world doesn't stop just because a few players retire, ffs.

In case you haven't noticed, we've developing young players quite nicely.
When did I say that I had given up? Didn't I clearly say that I believed that the window is still open, just it MAY not be as wide open as the frequently forecasted two-to-three year period! Why do think Lyon said he wanted nothing but 100% effort and commitment from the entire playing group and anyone who isn't up to it out the door? Because the club must make the most of every opportunity like it's their only opportunity, because their isn't always a "next year".

I am aware that we are developing some very promising young talent. But young talent, like all talent, takes time to develop!

Bad management is bad management
Milton66
SS Life Member

I reckon this year was our quantum leap and we still got another good 3 years ahead of us.

As far as injuries go, I think it will be the same next year. Why?

quite simply, because we have a healthy rookie list and some dcent depth of young and strong players, we can err on the side of caution with injuries.

Case in point was this year with Max. Had he gone down last year, we would have thought our season was over. This year we hardly missed him.

The key to sustained succss will be the ability of the list to improve as a whole.

We simply must get to a point where we don't miss Lenny or Roo.

This is where proper development of Armo, Geary and few others will help.

Getting the cup half full? It was never half empty IMO.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

to OP
lennys got an easy two years in him
bakes has one for sure

king will go before anyone imo
but we have that covered
8-)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: The window may not be as big as we think!

SydneySainter wrote:I, like most Sainters, will be there for the boys, rain hail or shine and I'm nothing but proud of what the boys have achieved this year.

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, as we need to be positive and we need to be optimistic and we need to believe, but I always believe that you only get so many chances in life and as much as we love to complain to the footy gods for dealing us a raw deal, I think that in recent years we have had more chances than most teams get.

Top four finishes in 04, 05, 08 and 09, a top eight finish in 06 and we finished ninth in 07, half a game out of the top eight. That's five final campaigns in six years, one grand final berth. Not a bad crack at the flag really and while I like many I believe that the Saints will be hungrier than ever to make amends in 2010, I can't help but feel maybe we may only have ONE more chance at redemption. The majority of the football world expects us to be on the rebound, but after much promise of greater things to come at the heart-breaking ends of our 97 and 05 seasons, I know that it will only be harder, not easier to be in the mix again and everything will have to go right for us.

Looking at our list, players that I can't help but wonder about are Hayes and Baker. They absolutely bled for us on Saturday but they're not spring chickens anymore. Gardiner, King and Milne are also nearing the twilights of their career. While Kosi was in career-best form this year, his kicking efficiency started sliding at the wrong end of the season, though I'm positive the hand injury didn't help and again, Roo's knee will the talking point during the pre-season.

As I said, I agree that we are still a chance for redemption, but we may only have one more crack. The club has been taught valuable football lessons in the past, it's important to learn from them.

By gee what a negative post to such a great teams season - next you'll be screaming we should draft Judd...

You manage to pull out every negative possible scenario in 1 post yet start it with a claim that your optomistic?

Right. :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:I reckon this year was our quantum leap and we still got another good 3 years ahead of us.

As far as injuries go, I think it will be the same next year. Why?

quite simply, because we have a healthy rookie list and some dcent depth of young and strong players, we can err on the side of caution with injuries.

Case in point was this year with Max. Had he gone down last year, we would have thought our season was over. This year we hardly missed him.

The key to sustained succss will be the ability of the list to improve as a whole.

We simply must get to a point where we don't miss Lenny or Roo.

This is where proper development of Armo, Geary and few others will help.

Getting the cup half full? It was never half empty IMO.
Agree with you completely Milton. I still believe we were 12 months too early on where we should have been, if that makes any sense. I thought next year would be the one. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we would be the best team of the year, even with the massive improvement towards the end of 2008 before being thrashed in the finals.

This team is about THE TEAM and not individuals, which makes this St Kilda team different to almost any other any of us have seen. It doesn't glorify individual achievements, it requires and DEMANDS 100% effort and contributions from every player. The game plan and structure we have won't work without it, no matter how good you are as an individual!

I can only see us getting stronger and better over the next 3 years at least.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I don't see how we can cover the loss of Roo.

Have a look at West Coast:

They didn't have a superstar forward and still won a flag. How?

One of the best midfield's we've ever seen. Judd, Kerr, Cousins, Fletcher, Braun, Selwood, Embley, Stenglein...

You can get by without a dominant forward if you have quality and depth in midfield.

We need more quality in our midfield rotation.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Exactly. And I am yet to see a sign that Ross won't make the hard calls when it comes to list management.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: The window may not be as big as we think!

Teflon wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:I, like most Sainters, will be there for the boys, rain hail or shine and I'm nothing but proud of what the boys have achieved this year.

By gee what a negative post to such a great teams season - next you'll be screaming we should draft Judd...

You manage to pull out every negative possible scenario in 1 post yet start it with a claim that your optomistic?

Right. :roll:
do you say that wit the benefit of hindsight? :shock: :wink: :lol:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Window? I think Ross Lyon has one of those massive sliding doors that opens onto an alfresco area :wink:

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Window? I think Ross Lyon has one of those massive sliding doors that opens onto an alfresco area :wink:
I like your style....... :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Milton66
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:I don't see how we can cover the loss of Roo.

Have a look at West Coast:

They didn't have a superstar forward and still won a flag. How?

One of the best midfield's we've ever seen. Judd, Kerr, Cousins, Fletcher, Braun, Selwood, Embley, Stenglein...

You can get by without a dominant forward if you have quality and depth in midfield.

We need more quality in our midfield rotation.
True. A good midfield will help. worse case, you'd put Kosi at CHF and play someone else at FF.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Window? I think Ross Lyon has one of those massive sliding doors that opens onto an alfresco area :wink:
And it's a Jeldwen... :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
saint75 wrote:
And it's a Jeldwen... :wink:
Nice :lol: