The Shopping List – St Kilda Football Club 2009-2010

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

The Shopping List – St Kilda Football Club 2009-2010

Let me just quickly say this is all completely uninformed but just an effort to get a list of players who we could/should be interested in. I don't actually want all that many of the following players just it would make sense for us to look at them. Did one of these on the week before the Grand Final last year and one name in my list was in fact Farren Ray so maybe we will see one of the following players in the red, white and black next year.

The Third-Tall-Forward

Chris Knights (Adelaide, 185cm, 84kg, 24yo) – Pros: Really beginning to reach prime, could hold down medium forward role for one or two years before becoming a full-time on-baller, suits game plan perfectly with an excellent combination of offensive and defensive skills, Victorian who allegedly wishes to return home. Cons: In contract for one more season, Adelaide would demand a substantial return, other clubs would be able to offer bigger $. – Possible Trades: Worst Case: Chris Knights + 2nd/3rd Rounder for Rhys Stanley + 1st Rounder, Best Case: Chris Knights for 1st Rounder.

Daniel Bradshaw (Brisbane, 191cm, 95kg, 32yo) – Pros: Out of contract, Victorian who has throughout his career looked at returning, could work in tandem with Riewoldt and Koschitzke for one or two years and retire when Lynch should be more than ready to take over, due to age and contract status should be cheaper than his output could potentially be. Cons: Age, question mark on hamstrings, dealing with Michael Voss may well not be too easy. Possible Trades: Worst Case: Daniel Bradshaw + 2nd Rounder for David Armitage + 3rd Rounder, Best Case: Daniel Bradshaw for 3rd Rounder.

Brendan Fevola (Carlton, 191cm, 100kg, 29yo) – Pros: Proven elite goalkicker, would draw the best fullback from Koschitzke every single week, has improved his tackling pressure in recent times, due to constant off-field antics could be off-loaded for less than normal for a reigning Coleman Medalist. Cons: It is fairly clear that his major con is his constant off-field alcohol related incidents, Carlton is not always easy to deal with, would attract plenty of interest from other clubs especially interstate. Possible Trades: Worst Case: Brendan Fevola for Justin Koschitzke + 3rd Rounder, Best Case: Brendan Fevola + 2nd/3rd Rounder for Matt Maguire + 1st Rounder. (Can’t see us securing Fevola on draft picks alone.)

Brad Fisher (Carlton, 192cm, 86kg, 26yo) – Pros: Cheap, good height and strong mark, has had a few very promising seasons, would benefit from being a third-tall target as opposed to centre half forward. Cons: Poor kicking skills, struggles to consistently get game-time at Carlton who desperately needs an alternative route to Fevola. Possible Trades: Worst Case: Brad Fisher for 3rd/4th Rounder, Best Case: Brad Fisher in draft with final selection or PSD.

Ryan Gamble (Geelong, 184cm, 83kg, 23yo) – Pros: Could come cheap due to Geelong’s salary cap pressures, has shown potential and is kept out of the best team in the AFL by the likes of Chapman, S.Johnson, Byrnes and Stokes, is normally fairly reliable to get to the right spots and make the most of his opportunities, is also a fairly strong tackler. Cons: Can be somewhat a bit of a “cherry picker,â€
Last edited by SaintBot on Fri 02 Oct 2009 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

FullMonty
Club Player

Great post SB.

I agree with others here that it wasn't so much our players not being up to the task but rather they simply lacked composure on the biggest of stages.
The list looks considerably better under RL and co so IMHO we don't need to be super aggressive at the trade table.

Montyrules!
saints11
Club Player

From Each Section
Forward- Chris Knights or Fevola
Midfielder- Pearce
Backman- Raines

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Tenace and O'Keefe would be just loverly...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What or who do we give up for these players?????

X.Clarke, R.Clarke, D.Armitage, M.Maguire, L.Ball

we will need to give up a quality player or high pick (in the last uncomprimised draft) to secure any of those....

Or is that 3rd tall fwd
Tom Lynch
Raph Clarke (best pos)

Small defender
Jarryn Geary
Xavier Clarke
Alistair Smith

Mid with Gen speed
J.Steven
J.Geary
A.Smith
X.Clarke

We should look in our own backyard then elsewhere?????

Topping up needs to be carefully considered....

saints11
Club Player

BigMart wrote:What or who do we give up for these players?????

X.Clarke, R.Clarke, D.Armitage, M.Maguire, L.Ball

we will need to give up a quality player or high pick (in the last uncomprimised draft) to secure any of those....

Or is that 3rd tall fwd
Tom Lynch
Raph Clarke (best pos)

Small defender
Jarryn Geary
Xavier Clarke
Alistair Smith

Mid with Gen speed
J.Steven
J.Geary
A.Smith
X.Clarke

We should look in our own backyard then elsewhere?????

Topping up needs to be carefully considered....
Simpkin and cahill could be used as a 3rd tall

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Tarrant goes missing up forward when the heats on....thats probably why Harvey turned him into a Full Back...trying to get some value for money..

We don't need a witches hat on the forward line...

one of our players struggles to kick over a jam tin..how's he gonna go with a witches hat..... :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Saintersss
Club Player

We can't get a Bradshaw/Fevola as a 3rd Forward. It just won't work, remember Kosi, Gehrig and Roo all in the same team.
We need a Okeefe/Lecras type third tall.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:We can't get a Bradshaw/Fevola as a 3rd Forward. It just won't work, remember Kosi, Gehrig and Roo all in the same team.
Agreed. Lynch is being groomed for that lead up spot on the forward line. The problem being that he might only be ready for > 10 games in 2010 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

flyingwhale18
Club Player

Get him in the gym and going the track, put on a bit of muscle and boost fitness and Lynch will play a part in the 2010 season as a 3rd forward.

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We can cross Chris Knights off that shopping list !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

xander
Club Player

Good post but i'm pretty sure that Pearce signed with Port a couple of weeks ago. Also i doubt O'Keefe would leave after all he won their B&F this year. He'd probably cost our 1st rounder + armo

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What happened to Tim Boyle at Hawks apparently we could have traded for him last year?

Was mid to tall forward held out by Franklin, Roughhead etc. could be worth looking for.

Hawks were keen on Goose at one stage so could look at the Hawks to find a player.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What happened to Tim Boyle at Hawks apparently we could have traded for him last year?

Was mid to tall forward held out by Franklin, Roughhead etc. could be worth looking for.

Hawks were keen on Goose at one stage so could look at the Hawks to find a player.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:We can't get a Bradshaw/Fevola as a 3rd Forward. It just won't work, remember Kosi, Gehrig and Roo all in the same team.
Agree to an extent. Having a genuine full-forward sitting in the goal square will allow Kosi to roam around a lot more. Imagine Bradshaw at full-forward with Riewoldt and Koschitzke interchanging between inside 50 CHF and link-up beyond 50 CHF.

O'Keefe and Knights are the easily the best choices but the chances of them leaving their current clubs are fairly slim.

If I was coach (thank god I'm not!) I would, injury and motivation permitting, be picking up Nathan Brown for absolutely nothing and alternating between him and Lynch depending on match-ups throughout the year. This gives us both sensible development and experience in the extra forward role.

I believe most the available quick midfielders are either too expensive (Lovett) or just not good enough (Peake, Tenace). We have enough younger midfielders who will begin edging their way in. I agree with St Mart that our small defender can come from our own stocks also in Geary, Xavier or even Steven.

However I'd be very surprised if we don't finish trade week (or PSD) with another forward option. Evidently there are plenty out there, all with varying costs, abilities and styles.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:What happened to Tim Boyle at Hawks apparently we could have traded for him last year?
Boyle retired with chronic injuries that Hawthorn knew he had at this time last yr. St Kilda were mildly interested until we did our own medical on him, which he failed miserably. They were offering him for a late 1st Rd or early 2nd Rd pick. They even tried using him as bait in the O'Keefe deal AFTER he failed the St Kilda medical, forgetting that Ross & Roosey are great mates.

There aren't too many people in the AFL who are prepared to deal with Chris Pelchen/Hawthorn !!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yes I heard the bigtime Hawker tried to offload Boyle onto the Saints..... :shock:

The Thornton and O'Keeffe trades fell thru because evidently Hawthorn weren't prepared to offer half decent deals

Not that long ago I think they shafted the Kangas with Hay and Thompson

Stand your ground :shock:
Beej
Saintsational Legend

flyingwhale18 wrote:Get him in the gym and going the track, put on a bit of muscle and boost fitness and Lynch will play a part in the 2010 season as a 3rd forward.
It takes years for footballers to develop their bodies.

It's extremely difficult for anyone not on steroids to gain more than 6 kgs of 'lean muscle' in 12 months apparently.

Two, more likely three more pre-seasons and he'll be reaching somewhere near his ideal playing size.

If he's going to feature next season it's going to be through ability alone. I haven't seen that much of him so I can't comment on whether he's good enough at the moment.

Ryan O'Keefe, who he's being compared to, was drafted in 99 and had his true breakout season in 04. It can take time.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saintbot,

most of those you are suggesting are too old.

yes we need ...
a 3rd forward,
another midfielder
someone to replace milne
fast aborignal player

but not 27 year old s and older!

xander
Club Player

saintly wrote:Saintbot,

most of those you are suggesting are too old.

yes we need ...
a 3rd forward,
another midfielder
someone to replace milne
fast aborignal player

but not 27 year old s and older!
why not take someone 27 or older?
We need players for the next couple of years not long term and we are unlikely to get anyone younger who is not about to be delisted for anything cheaper than a 1st/2nd rounder + a player.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

The third tall was already an endangered species before frontal pressure became the buzzwords of the year. Even mediums aren't faring as well. ROK and Didak have been pulled into the midfield. Very few teams ran with a genuine third tall this year and nobody did it regularly. The teams that do run a regular medium marking target usually have a developing high or deep tall (Hawkins/Johnson, Taylor Walker/Burton).

I'd debate whether a third tall or medium forward is part of our shopping list. I think our forward structure is set on two talls and four smalls with one of the smalls rotating in off the bench for an extra mid/defender. The three on-field smalls have ground-level duties as well as defensive responsibilities.

If we could find a taller forward who can still pressure and cover the groudball duties, I'm sure we'd be all over them. however, I'm not sure such a player would be up for trade since every other club in the league would love a tall, marking player who pressures, tackles and wins his own ball.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
matrix
Saintsational Legend

id have roden and knights in a flash

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually Ryan Gamble is an interesting one, would cost us next to nothing and whne he does play for Geelong, usually plays ok.
However, the club must maintain it's philosphy that they recruit players who have the potential of giving the club 100+ games. Any one 30+ forget it.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:The third tall was already an endangered species before frontal pressure became the buzzwords of the year. Even mediums aren't faring as well. ROK and Didak have been pulled into the midfield. Very few teams ran with a genuine third tall this year and nobody did it regularly. The teams that do run a regular medium marking target usually have a developing high or deep tall (Hawkins/Johnson, Taylor Walker/Burton).

I'd debate whether a third tall or medium forward is part of our shopping list. I think our forward structure is set on two talls and four smalls with one of the smalls rotating in off the bench for an extra mid/defender. The three on-field smalls have ground-level duties as well as defensive responsibilities.

If we could find a taller forward who can still pressure and cover the groudball duties, I'm sure we'd be all over them. however, I'm not sure such a player would be up for trade since every other club in the league would love a tall, marking player who pressures, tackles and wins his own ball.
All the more reason to get Gwilt super fit and firing and fast track Lynch because both have the attributes to be 'the one'.

Change for change's sake won't happen. We will use what we have if we can.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:
flyingwhale18 wrote:Get him in the gym and going the track, put on a bit of muscle and boost fitness and Lynch will play a part in the 2010 season as a 3rd forward.
It takes years for footballers to develop their bodies.

It's extremely difficult for anyone not on steroids to gain more than 6 kgs of 'lean muscle' in 12 months apparently.

Two, more likely three more pre-seasons and he'll be reaching somewhere near his ideal playing size.

If he's going to feature next season it's going to be through ability alone. I haven't seen that much of him so I can't comment on whether he's good enough at the moment.

12 months? No he could easily put on 8 or so kg's in 12 months if he seriously hit the gym you lose a fair but of cardio but I think it would be worth ir for him.

I put on 10 kg's since last november of muscle for football and there was definately no steroids used.... With his physique he should fill out nicely.

Ryan O'Keefe, who he's being compared to, was drafted in 99 and had his true breakout season in 04. It can take time.