GF Starting 22 Ages

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zippy
Club Player

GF Starting 22 Ages

For the 22 who played yesterday - this'll be their age as of the end of this year. I think there's a lot more improvement from young players than there is players getting past it. The window's still open for another few years.

Rucks: King (31), Gardiner (30),

Forwards: Reiwoldt (27), Koschitzke (27), Schneider (25), Milne (29), McQualter (23)

Utilities: Goddard (24), Dempster (25)

Midfielders: Hayes (29), Montagna (26), Dal Santo (25), Ball (25), Ray (23), Jones (25), Gram (25)

Backs: Dawson (23), Blake (28), S Fisher (27), R Clarke (24), Gilbert (23), Baker (29)

Meanwhile, the following players are young and improving: McEvoy (20), Gwilt (23) Steven (19), Armitage (21), Geary (21), Eddy (21). Plus X Clarke (26) coming back. And Maguire (26) if we're really lucky.

The only player who's on the wrong side of 30 is King, though Gardiner will turn 31 mid-season and three more players turn 30 during the year (Hayes, Baker, Milne). The bulk of our key players are in their mid to late 20's. There's some quality coming through in the (much younger) group which didn't run out yesterday.

We'd do OK having the exact same 22 out there next september, though I'm very keen on Armitage and Geary fighting their way in.

The only worry is probably ruck depth (another depth ruckman would be nice, though Kosi can do it if we find a replacement in the forward line), and the fact that reiwoldt is irreplaceable.

A genuine medium/3rd tall forward would be nice - Gwilt getting better at playing the role would be a huge plus.

I hope the trading/retirements/delistings go well. We've recruited well in the last few years. And even if we do nothing, we still look in very good shape.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for posting that, I had been meaning to have a look at the list age...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Looking at that list it sure does look like we pissed a lot of draft picks up against the wall in the heydey of Thomas. Fergus Watts, Ferguson, McGough, Cain Ackland, Brooks to name a few. I look at that list and see the clock well and truly ticking. 16 out of 22 are 25 plus y.o and apart from Gilbo and Mini , no-one that we drafted in 2004, 2005 or 2006 in the starting 22. There's a hole in our list where a bunch of guys coming through with Mini and Gilbo should be.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What those ages show is that our list is in very good shape to be at it's best for next several years.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Expect Tommy Lynch in the side in 2010.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Good post, Zippy.

I think another good pre-season and a few kilos on the existing list will help. Then you add the younger guys who are pushing their way in and we look good. I think McEvoy may move in to the ruck with a mid season retirement.

A couple of players concern me but I don't want to say who they are because it will cause controversy. We definitely need a mid size forward who can play tall and maybe go in to the midfield. Someone who I wanted to kick 5, didn't deliver again...and to think I was willing to bear my butt at Moorabbin if he won the Norm Smith. 2 or 3 would have been enough from this player.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Mon 28 Sep 2009 1:21am, edited 1 time in total.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Rhys Stanley, 202cm and won the Grand Final sprint!!!

I'm keen as mustard to see this bloke develop.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:Rhys Stanley, 202cm and won the Grand Final sprint!!!

I'm keen as mustard to see this bloke develop.
Yes, yes. Could be a name to look out for.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Expect Tommy Lynch in the side in 2010.
He's being compared to Ryan O'Keefe so it will be nice to get some experience into him but it may be too soon to expect him to cement a spot in the 22.

2011-2012 is probably when we'll see him become an important part of the side if he is good enough.

Tippett looked decent in his first season last year and is now their best forward in what is "Adelaide's best forward line ever".

We need to have a really strong pre-season. Put a bit of size and strength on Ray, Geary, Gilbert and a lot of miles into Armo and Steven to give them every chance of competing with the elite runners of the comp.

Hopefully they're willing to step up to the plate. Seeing the side ina GF and so close to a premiership should be incentive enough for everyone to bust their guts giving them every chance of winning a spot in the 22.

There's lots of improvement left in this group.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Could someone smarter than me compare the current day Saints in age to the Brisbane Lions and the Cats at the START of thier continuous Grand Final runs?

I am pretty sure the core of those teams had superstars in the 25 to 29 range ... which is what we have right now.

The only difference is those team won their first Grand Final.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Schillaci
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:What those ages show is that our list is in very good shape to be at it's best for next several years.
Same.
No reason we can't be a force over the next few years. With the young blood coming through I am hopeful that Ross can do the trick for us.