Matthew Lloyd?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Matthew Lloyd?

"St Kilda president Greg Westaway predicted the club would seek another tall forward to boost its stocks next season in a bid for its first premiership since 1966." http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 51,00.html

As I've said many times this year, I'd be happy to see us try Sam Gilbert across half forward (especially if we got Adreajs Everitt to play down back), or BJ could quite clearly also do it, but if we don't want to go down those roads, we could do a lot worse than getting Matthew Lloyd (giving Tom Lynch time to develop).
Give Lloyd his favourite goalsquare back (with Kosi) and put Sir Nick back to CHF for the next two years. Lloyd clearly has more footy in him and Nick spends so much time leading to the wings now, that it wouldn't change us that much. It would be like our set-up when we had the G-Train leading out of the goalsquare for years. (When we actually kicked goals).
We kicked 30 goals in 3 finals this year (2 in excellent conditions). We need someone else up there. Lloyd has clearly been unhappy at Essendon and a change might give him his mojo back.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
ttufc7
Club Player

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...............................are you serious?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its the first of April.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Why not get Scotty Lucas as well.
Lloyd retired. He wasn't pushed.
Crazy suggestion.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Tosser

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Tosser
It takes one to know one, doesn't it?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If not him, who? The Prez says we're going after a tall forward. How many others are floating around? Are we just going to pluck one from our butt cracks? He looks to be in much better shape that either Gardi, or King were, when we got them. I have no doubt he could have an impact next year.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 27 Sep 2009 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Whilst Lloyd is a poor suggestion, this is a very interesting article to mention... By tall forward though, i wonder if he is suggesting a third tall (190cm-ish and mobile) or a key position (195cm-ish)??

Also, the fact he mentions that all players are signed for 2010 is a very big positive - does this mean that the likes of Goose, X Clarke and Milne etc have all agreed on terms???

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:If not him, who? The Prez says we're going after a tall forward. How many others are floating around? Are we just going to pluck one from our butt cracks? He looks to be in much better shape that either Gardi, or King were, when we got them. I have no doubt he could have an impact next year.
Yeah, understand your angle, but he DID retire - it was an issue of not enjoying his footy anymore... So i doubt we will see him in another team's colours next year.

Plus, our game plan means that key forwards still need to move up the ground to present - they cant just sit in the goalsquare ala what Lloyd wants to do...
Remember Gehrig in 2008 as he attempted to play up the ground?? It didnt work...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matthew Lloyd?

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: Lloyd has clearly been unhappy at Essendon and a change might give him his mojo back.
This has to be clearly tongue in cheek, surely :roll:

Why not try for Barry Hall :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Are you kidding? Barry Hall could be brilliant in our forward line, but he's apparently come to terms with the Bulldogs. For two years, by the way. They obviously don't see your joke.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 27 Sep 2009 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote:
Yeah, understand your angle, but he DID retire - it was an issue of not enjoying his footy anymore...
Of course he didn't, because he was being played out of position and didn't get along with his coach. If he could manage to play at CHF this year, he could play at full forward for us next year.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:
Yeah, understand your angle, but he DID retire - it was an issue of not enjoying his footy anymore...
Of course he didn't, because he was being played out of position and didn't get along with his coach. If he could manage to play at CHF this year, he could play at full forward for us next year.
He's past it. 32 at the start of next season. Chose to retire himself. End of story.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:
Do you realise Matty Lloyd has actually retired. Was speaking to Bob Murray last night maybe he might play for us next year if we ask him.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

You think you're pretty funny, don't you?

Barry Hall retired 3 months ago. He's now apparently just agreed to terms for a 2 year deal with the Bulldogs.
Michael Jordan retired. Then came back and won something like 3 more championships.
Tim Watson retired and from memory came back a year or two later and played in another premiership.

Are all those facts funny?

I see lots of you putting this idea and/or me down, but where are the alternate suggestions? This post has been on here for a fair while now and according to the article a "tall forward" is our priority, so where are the alternate suggestions?
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 27 Sep 2009 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:You think you're pretty funny, don't you?

Barry Hall retired 3 months ago. He's now apparently just agreed to terms for a 2 year deal with the Bulldogs.
Michael Jordan retired. Then came back and won something like 3 more championships.
Tim Watson retired and from memory came back a year or two later and played in another premiership.

Barry Hall quit the Swans. He didnt retire. Michael jordan didnt play AFL I dont think and Tim watson came back to the same club. Lloyd had options to play elsewhere but still retired.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Michael jordan didnt play AFL I dont think
What the f*** does that have to do with anything? Is it somehow harder to come out of retirement in the AFL than the NBA? What a stupid thing to say.
"I dont think" is right on the money.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Michael jordan didnt play AFL I dont think
What the f*** does that have to do with anything? Is it somehow harder to come out of retirement in the AFL than the NBA? What a stupid thing to say.
"I dont think" is right on the money.
Well lets go get Michael Jordan because he has as much hope of playing for the saints as Matthew Lloyd. Matter of fact he probably has more chance.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I see lots of you putting this idea and/or me down, but where are the alternate suggestions? This post has been on here for a fair while now and according to the article a "tall forward" is our priority, so where are the alternate suggestions?
Not putting you down, just think it's a crazy idea. Did you hear Lloyd prevaricating about whether or not he wanted to go on when he was doing special comments on the ABC for the prelim? And even if he cold be coaxed out of retirement, have a look at the Bombers forum. Many on there calling for him to pull the pin and saying that he's finished.
He's way past his ability to dominate the goal square like he used to.
He's retired of his own accord.
It's an idea that just isn't going to happen.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

We'd be better going for a younger bomber who could play that role - Michael Hurley anyone?? Would be next to impossible, but with his recent 'incident,' and love of the Saints, he could be 2% easier to get...

97% sure it wouldnt happen...

But thats still 3% better chance than landing Lloyd... :wink:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Well lets go get Michael Jordan because he has as much hope of playing for the saints as Matthew Lloyd. Matter of fact he probably has more chance.
How do you work that out?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:

Not putting you down, just think it's a crazy idea. Did you hear Lloyd prevaricating about whether or not he wanted to go on when he was doing special comments on the ABC for the prelim? And even if he cold be coaxed out of retirement, have a look at the Bombers forum. Many on there calling for him to pull the pin and saying that he's finished.
He's way past his ability to dominate the goal square like he used to.
He's retired of his own accord.
It's an idea that just isn't going to happen.
That's fair enough, it was just a suggestion. No need for anyone to get their nickers all in a knot.
I have no doubt they would have been calling for Lloyd to go on the Bombers forum, because he didn't want to be there. Who's going to play well when they're not happy? They were probably saying the same thing on the Bulldogs forum about Farren Ray and on the WCE forum about Michael Gardiner and the Geelong forum about Steven King, etc.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Centrebet odds
To play for St Kilda in 2010
Start:

Closing:

Market is open.
Pay on who has more chance of playing for the St Kilda FC

Matthew Lloyd 250.00
Michael Jordan 260.00
OLB 150.50

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Lots of hilarious posts on here, but 257 have now viewed this thread, with an apparent quote from our President and not one has put forward a legitimate alternative. I guess it's easier to mock, than actually use your brains.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Seeing as not taking our opportunities was the major reason for defeat, I reckon we should hand a blank cheque to this bloke