There is always next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GSG
Club Player

There is always next year

What worries me a bit more about …. There is always next year ….. are the other teams. A lot of them will be much better, i.e. Carlton, Essendon, even the Bullies. And let’s not forget the Hawks. They had a lousy year, but make no mistake, they’ll be back in 2010. They’ll be a very hard team to beat. So what I’m saying is, if it was hard to make the GF this year, it’ll be even harder next year.
Any thoughts on this?

Voyager
Club Player

Re: There is always next year

GSG wrote:What worries me a bit more about …. There is always next year ….. are the other teams. A lot of them will be much better, i.e. Carlton, Essendon, even the Bullies. And let’s not forget the Hawks. They had a lousy year, but make no mistake, they’ll be back in 2010. They’ll be a very hard team to beat. So what I’m saying is, if it was hard to make the GF this year, it’ll be even harder next year.
Any thoughts on this?
Totally understand this...I think that this is why RL has given an ultimatum to the boys knowing that we need to work even more to achieve what we want to achieve.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I personally hate this expression " Theres always next year".

I know there isn't much else to look fwd to, but we were there, we were fully fit, we outplayed the opposition and we lost. Next year may as well be next decade:

What are the chances we'll have the same run with injuries? etc etc

Absolutely gutted.

Nee!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Absolutely gutted.
yep. "what might have been" is the bit that hurts most, but the fact is it wasn't.

once the pain subsides a bit we can focus on the things that will takes us the extra step next season.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Bigcarl you are of course right....but why the f*** do we always have to do it the hardest possible way??? Look at Hawthorn..., no the best team in the comp last year but they just bob up and win one....thats all any of us want.
No we've got to find new ways to create agony for the faithful....like missing 5 gimmes in front of goal.

Nee!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Bigcarl you are of course right....but why the f*** do we always have to do it the hardest possible way??? Look at Hawthorn..., no the best team in the comp last year but they just bob up and win one....thats all any of us want.
No we've got to find new ways to create agony for the faithful....like missing 5 gimmes in front of goal.
i know, i'm doing it hard, too.

you could say the same thing about the bulldogs last week and the cats last season.

like us yesterday, they didn't take their chances. that's life. nothing can be done about it now except to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon would say - there's only now!

Another opportunity awaits!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Essendon will be about the same, so will Carlton, can't see them getting much better until they get rid of Fev.
Hawthorn still have defence problems that aren't going away.
Adelaide is the team that might improve into top 4, Collingwood are going no where with their list because they have no solution to their deficiancies and Hall is not the answer for the Bulldogs.
Geelong will start to wane, you could see that this year despite winning yesterday, bit like Hawthorn in 91.
I am optimistic about our chances next year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
older saint
SS Life Member

Next year we start the same as everyone else. History counts for nil.

Will we have injuries
Will guys step forward or backwards
The draw?

Not always next year ask 1997 crew or 1971

We had a great run and did not finish it off next year is harder again

GSG
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote: I am optimistic about our chances next year.

Glad to hear that - I need some reassurance!!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Next year we start the same as everyone else. History counts for nil.

Will we have injuries
Will guys step forward or backwards
The draw?

Not always next year ask 1997 crew or 1971

We had a great run and did not finish it off next year is harder again
Thats what worries me, other clubs often got a secon crack and make the most of it, we dont

This hurts so much I have to be careful what I say

I love this club
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm in two very shattered mindsets!

First is that IF the boys are good enough, they have ONE more chance. In football, you only get so many chances before the inevitable recession that every club must face from time to time and we have had at least four - 2004, 2005, 2008 and 2009. That half of my mindset says that if we are any chance of a second premiership, we have ONE more year!

The second is that we have had more than enough chances and maybe this was our last roll of the dice of some time. There were teams on the up this year, several of whom we struggled to beat and they will be even tougher to beat next year! We've had four, maybe five chances with our current squad and the shattered half fears maybe it was flag or broke this year! UNLESS, the club as a whole has learned from 1997!

Anyway, that's football and time will tell!

GO SAINTS, I LOVE YOU ALL!

Bad management is bad management
Sam23
SS Life Member

i hate it how people are saying this to me.

could there be a hollower statement?

We were at our absolute prime this year with zero injuries to our best 22 players. Next year is a completely different thing, we could be a flash in the plan who knows.

i dont want condolences i want a premiership

Goddard.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

GSG wrote: There is always next year …..
Tell that to Troy Broadbridge

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
This comment is totally uncalled for, in bad taste and an insult to all those people who lost loved ones during the tsunami.

Mods, please ban this bozo!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
This comment is totally uncalled for, in bad taste and an insult to all those people who lost loved ones during the tsunami.

How is it up there on your high horse?
If you get over yourself, this is making the point that most seem to assume that "there's always tomorrow", but assuming that is not wise. Today is all we may have. You have to make the most of your opportunities, because you may not get another one.
I doubt Troy would mind me making that point, so that his loss wouldn't be in vain.
Having this "there's always next year" attitude may be why we haven't won a flag in 43 years.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:i hate it how people are saying this to me.

could there be a hollower statement?

We were at our absolute prime this year with zero injuries to our best 22 players. Next year is a completely different thing, we could be a flash in the plan who knows.

i dont want condolences i want a premiership

I agree 100%. We are not really a club than can say "always next year", cos we have heard it before. We were in a perfect positiont to win, and we didnt. Very hard to see things going this well again in th near future.
Second is not good enough

I love this club
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

How is it up there on your high horse?
If you get over yourself, this is making the point that most seem to assume that "there's always tomorrow", but assuming that is not wise. Today is all we may have. You have to make the most of your opportunities, because you may not get another one.
I doubt Troy would mind me making that point, so that his loss wouldn't be in vain.
I stand by my original post... your comments are insulting and cannot be justified.

You are neither smart nor clever and, given some of your other posts here, obviously do not think before posting.

Do us all a favour and keep your half witted comments to yourself!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Please get over yourself. I mentioned Troy Broadbridge. Unless you speak for him, what you say means sweet-F.A. to me.
And what about those who agree with things I say? Should they all leave too? Just have only those who agree with "FortiusQuoFidelius" on here?
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 27 Sep 2009 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

All we have is right now. It's not wise to hang your hopes on what may or may not come (ie. tomorrow, next year, etc).

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Please get over yourself. I mentioned Troy Broadbridge. Unless you speak for him, what you say means sweet-F.A. to me.
And what about those who agree with things I say? Should they all leave too? Just have only those who agree with "FortiusQuoFidelius" on here? That would be nice for you wouldn't it? Make your life nice and easy and smooth.
Life isn't necessarily like that. It might pay you to deal with that fact and "man up". The truth can hurt, but you can take it.
You have obviously not suffered the pain of losing someone to the tsunami and you cannot speak for those who did. If anyone should get over themselves it is you.

I pity you... you obviously have no idea what it is like to lose a loved one to a tragedy such as the boxing day tsunami. I pray you never have to live through anything like it.

You say that I should "man up"? Well perhaps you should take a long hard look at yourself and show some compassion for those who have suffered the terrible tragedy which you make light of.

If anyone needs to "man up" it is you my friend - it takes a REAL man to apologise for what was a very hurtful and unnecessary comment.

So, are you a REAL man? I suspect not, but happy for you to prove me wrong.

saintsrcoming

3rd generation saint wrote:Essendon will be about the same, so will Carlton, can't see them getting much better until they get rid of Fev.
Hawthorn still have defence problems that aren't going away.
Adelaide is the team that might improve into top 4, Collingwood are going no where with their list because they have no solution to their deficiancies and Hall is not the answer for the Bulldogs.
Geelong will start to wane, you could see that this year despite winning yesterday, bit like Hawthorn in 91.
I am optimistic about our chances next year.

Two points on this I dont agree, the cats will still be there and the bulldogs will be the threat next year as they outplayed us in the prelim and missed a lot of shots (sound familiar) we had roo . Hall will give them another option.
But we should be up there next year,

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Please get over yourself. I mentioned Troy Broadbridge. Unless you speak for him, what you say means sweet-F.A. to me.
And what about those who agree with things I say? Should they all leave too? Just have only those who agree with "FortiusQuoFidelius" on here? That would be nice for you wouldn't it? Make your life nice and easy and smooth.
Life isn't necessarily like that. It might pay you to deal with that fact and "man up". The truth can hurt, but you can take it.
You have obviously not suffered the pain of losing someone to the tsunami and you cannot speak for those who did. If anyone should get over themselves it is you.

I pity you... you obviously have no idea what it is like to lose a loved one to a tragedy such as the boxing day tsunami. I pray you never have to live through anything like it.

You say that I should "man up"? Well perhaps you should take a long hard look at yourself and show some compassion for those who have suffered the terrible tragedy which you make light of.

If anyone needs to "man up" it is you my friend - it takes a REAL man to apologise for what was a very hurtful and unnecessary comment.

I'm not claiming to speak for those who have "lost someone to the tsunami". I mentioned Troy Broadbridge. You drew the long bow.
I could just as easily have said Darren Millane. If I did, would that be "an insult to anyone who lost someone to a car crash"? Or an "insult to anyone who lost someone called Darren"? I could also have said Matt MaGuire. Would that be "an insult to anyone who's broken a leg, or knows someone who's broken a leg"?
As soon as you let your anger go, and start seeing clearly again, you'll realise that the bow you drew was yours, not mine.
I certainly don't need your pity and losing someone is losing someone. I dare say we've all been there. I know I have. It's pain and it sucks and you have to deal with it. You don't own pain and suffering, FortiusQuoFidelius and nor do those you mentioned. That's why I asked you to get over yourself.
As for apologising for it I'm not at all sorry. I didn't make light of it. My intentions were pure and I'm certainly not sorry. This didn't have one damn thing to do with those you mentioned.

You can feel free to take all your anger out on me, though. I can take it.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

I'm not claiming to speak for those who have "lost someone to the tsunami". I mentioned Troy Broadbridge. You drew the long bow.
I could just as easily have said Darren Millane. If I did, would that be "an insult to anyone who lost someone to a car crash"? Or an "insult to anyone who lost someone called Darren"? I could also have said Matt MaGuire. Would that be "an insult to anyone who's broken a leg, or knows someone who's broken a leg"?
As soon as you let your anger go, and start seeing clearly again, you'll realise that the bow you drew was yours, not mine.
I certainly don't need your pity and losing someone is losing someone. I dare say we've all been there. I know I have. It's pain and it sucks and you have to deal with it. You don't own pain and suffering, FortiusQuoFidelius and nor do those you mentioned. That's why I asked you to get over yourself.
As for apologising for it I'm not at all sorry. I didn't make light of it. My intentions were pure and I'm certainly not sorry. This didn't have one damn thing to do with those you mentioned.

You can feel free to take all your anger out on me, though. I can take it.
I will not change my opinion that your original comment was distasteful and that you are nothing but a knob of the highest order!

That is my last comment on the matter as I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmend person.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="GSG"]There is always next year …quote]

BELIEVE ME, no one at St. Kilda is banking on that theory! Lyon has made that VERY clear!

Bad management is bad management