2 Areas we must improve in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

2 Areas we must improve in

If we are to win.

I have faith in our back 6.

But there's a couple of areas where we need to improve -

1. No better time for all our midfielders to have 30 plus possession games each.
Montagna, Gram and Goddard have had some high 30 possession games during the year (even 40 plus from Montagna) , we need them to lift back towards those levels and support Dal and Hayes.

2. No better time for Kosi and the crumbers/midfielders to kick a few each and support Riewoldt to kick a winning score.
They've done it during the H&A

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Milne and Schneider MUUUUST LIFT!!!

If they are dangerous we win because it makes it a multi dimensional forward line...

Our back 6 is steady and will do their job, Midfielders also must at least break even

kp83
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:Milne and Schneider MUUUUST LIFT!!!

If they are dangerous we win because it makes it a multi dimensional forward line...

Our back 6 is steady and will do their job, Midfielders also must at least break even
I'm still waiting for Schneids to repay us for what he did in '05. Hopefully Saturday is the day!!!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

On weight of numbers, surely they are due. Soapy pill will only expedite their return to a fuller contribution.

Mind you, I'm convinced each has made a solid enough contribution already in all areas but points. Add that to existing output and our forward structure will be unbeatable in both directions.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I think our ability to spread from stoppages after winning the contested ball is the main area that needs to improve. If this improve's so will the quality of our forward 50 entries which will make scoring a lot easier.

Carpe Diem
samoht
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote: I'm still waiting for Schneids to repay us for what he did in '05. Hopefully Saturday is the day!!!
I reckon schneider and milne can find/create some space - going by Port Adelaide's effort against the Cats earlier this year.

That's a game if I was Lyon I'd be studying.

In that game Port Adelaide made big inroads against the Cats when they rejigged their forward line by going small - and their small and mid size players suddenly found and created space in the forward line and wreaked havoc in the last quarter.
They kicked a lot of goals (about 6?) in succession and got back into the game they were well behind in.
The Cat defenders didn't know what hit them or how to deal with it.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 24 Sep 2009 4:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes Milne and Schneider have to lift, but they only got two between the both of them in round 14. I still think we need a third marking option, Gardiner is not going to have the same freedoms...
Last edited by SainterK on Thu 24 Sep 2009 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Yes Mine and Schneider have to lift, but they only got two between the both of them in round 14. I still think we need a third marking option, Gardiner is not going to have the same freedoms...
Good call. Last week we fell down across half foward. Roo had to lead upto the wings which isn't ideal. We need the half forward lead up type, who can get the ball on the lead on the wing, and be competitive at ground level.

Carpe Diem
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dempster/Eddy, Goddard, Raph Clarke? Get three or four goals out of them in total and we'll be well ahead of the game. Assume four/five from Roo/Kosi. Six among the mids/smalls. That 13-14-15 goals and that should win you a GF.

Screaming for a pinch hitter, huh.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

No doubt we need someone to contribute with 3+ goals, and it will definitly help.

Carpe Diem
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

IMO there are 3 areas...

1. CONTESTED BALL

2. INSIDE 50s

3. TACKLES

Win those 3 areas and it won't matter whether our mids get an even spread of 20 odd possessions I'm tipping we'll win the game.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

We got away with 40 forward 50 entries against the Dogs but we wont against the Cats - so our midfield is going to have to work extra hard this week and to drive the ball forward a few more times - Dal and Hayes were great, the others need to lift to their 30 possession games.

We also need to start handballing/combining inside 50 to create goals - that's what Port Adelaide mid size running players started to do against the Cats, and the Cat defenders couldn't cope with it, couldn't defend against it.

it was the first time I saw big holes developing in the Cats defence and it was raining goals.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The team must WIN.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

every player must make it his personal responsiblity to be a match-winner for st kilda. no passengers.

nobhead
Club Player

observation

i noticed the last couple of weeks that when we flood back to help our defence ,when we win the ball back we often have to stop or kick sideways to wait for our guys to run forward to create an option .really going to have work their asses off aganst the cats ,and try and spread more,so we can get clean ball into our forward line.we must also try and get 1on 1s in our forward half and have our smalls at the feet of kosi and rooey.alos reckon that ross lyon must somehow try and get bj or fisher as loose men down back .bulldogs really went man on man in the prelim and tried to make bj and fisher accountable and it really hurt us .anyway i'll leave to the experts just hope we win .go sainters!!!!!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: observation

nobhead wrote:i noticed the last couple of weeks that when we flood back to help our defence ,when we win the ball back we often have to stop or kick sideways to wait for our guys to run forward to create an option
the match situations might have demanded it in tight and tense finals, but in general we've looked better with someone to kick to. noticed dal santo have to stop still and wait for rooey to make up 80 metres last week.

still, we won.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 24 Sep 2009 2:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Contested ball.

Midfield.

Small Forwards.

Kosi.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
samoht
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Contested ball.

Midfield.

Small Forwards.

Kosi.
Yep - that about sums it up in a nutshell.

I'd like to see more of our goals coming from general play - i.e. from combining/handballing to each other in our forward line.

aussiejones
Club Player

Geelong are beatable ...Dont take their big winning margin last week as a
guide .....the Magpies were crap after half time.

Eddy must go this week.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:IMO there are 3 areas...

1. CONTESTED BALL

2. INSIDE 50s

3. TACKLES

Win those 3 areas and it won't matter whether our mids get an even spread of 20 odd possessions I'm tipping we'll win the game.
If we win contested ball, and tackles we will win...simple

spert
Saintsational Legend

Nothing wrong in the backline -it's the best in the comp.. my concern is the half forward line and lack of goals from flankers (and midfield for that matter). I would go for Gwilt or Armo on a HFF as they can slot a couple. We really are relying on Roo to be the forward line. Kosi, Milne, Schneider and McQ are the guts of the forward line , yet they are not getting enough of the pill in the finals so far -it makes things hard for Roo and the midfield.

aussiejones
Club Player

Agree .... we shouldnt / cant rely on Riewolt each week.

Also , need accuracy with our shots.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Kosi needs to kick straight

Carpe Diem
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Geelong are a great team.

But we have proven throughout the year we are a super team - when everything was clicking and there were no passengers/underachievers and we were firing all over the ground - not just in our ever reliable and consistent backline.

We need to recapture that now - there's no better time.

All the Saint players who need to lift owe it to the backline to now lift in the grand final.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Fair go with the pressure guys, it's not like our forwards weren't up against worthy opposition last week and again this week.

I am confident that if they at least make a contest we are half way there, and for mine....it's more the likes of Mini, Schneider and Milne that will be valuable this week.