St Kilda & me...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Voyager
Club Player

St Kilda & me...

Just thought I'd share my story with St Kilda, now reflecting over the past few years that I've been barracking for the Mighty Saints...what a rollercoaster, but it's worth it, isn't it?! :)

About 16 years ago, I visited Australia for the first time (was French, as I am now officially Australian :) . However, I cannot get rid of this bloody accent! :) ). Anyway, my stay at the time was for only 3 weeks only. My mission was to get to know Melbourne and the Aussie life as much as I could before leaving back to France. My friends at the time talked about Australian footy... the only experience that I had with this was from France where they would show some footage, mentioning how brutal was that game. However, when my friends introduced me to footy, they did it mentioning St Kilda. That was the start of it all ;) ... My experience in Oz at the time was fantastic and I promised myself to come back.

After a couple of years, I came back to Melbourne, arrived as a student on a Thursday in September, the Thursday before the Grand Final...The year was 1997... Here I was...The Saints on tv battling the Crows...I knew that St Kilda got me to never release me, never. I followed the Saints for 2 years before taking on my first membership. The years that followed were not easy with quite a few tears along the way, but geeee, no way I would let those boys go!! Like some of you on this forum, I went to the ground, game after game after game knowing that this day would come :)

Today, it is very rare that I don't wear my St Kilda shirt at home. This is my second skin and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world...coming from France, I get often asked why I don't follow soccer. The answer is simple, AFL is the best game in the world and the ties that we get following the Saints is nowhere to be found, absolutely Nowhere!! I am so proud that We got where we are today, together. On Saturday, I'll be sitting in the Heaven with the Gods (in Q51!) to cheer on our boys hoping that we take on the Flag...Fortius Quo Fidelius!

Kate
Club Player

Good stuff Voyager.

Hopefully you will be rewarded for your loyalty.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Allez les Saints!
Allez les Saints!
Allez les Saints!

:D

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cheese eating surrender monkey.............. :wink:
Go Saints.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

tres bon... fantastique!

VIVA LES SAINTS!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Great story.

How long until you understood the rules?

My wife and her family are from Chile and my wife who grew up here understands it but not the rest of her family.

Her Mum likes St. Kilda because she worked with Matty Lappin at Linen house.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

don' ; t perdent l'accent. :wink:

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Great stuff Voyager, this footy club sucks you in, like your former country is getting to my son

I love this club
widereceiver
Club Player

Allez les tricouleurs!

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for sharing.

I have taken a few French Exchange Students to some games.

The first was struck with Luke Ball and was amazed when I introduced him to her after the game in the social rooms. She was just amazed that you could get that close to the footballers and thought it most unlikely in France.

Mind you I think Luke was equally amazed which she embraced him rather tighly and with her French accent loudly proclaimed " Luke you are so cute, I loooove you, "... Luke is about the first St Kilda footballer I have seen blush so vividly.

Another took a shine to Jason Blake..but alas no introduction this time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

great read
i did 6 years of french at school and can remember
1. how to say my name, hello and how are you plus thank you
2. that the word swimming pool in french sounds like the word 'pissing'

go u sainters!!!!!

Voyager
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:Great story.

How long until you understood the rules?

My wife and her family are from Chile and my wife who grew up here understands it but not the rest of her family.

Her Mum likes St. Kilda because she worked with Matty Lappin at Linen house.
Took only a few weeks as I watched plenty of games at the time :)
Now teaching my dad :)

Voyager
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:Great stuff Voyager, this footy club sucks you in, like your former country is getting to my son
I always was the strange one back in France, as I was supporting Oz in rugby, nobody could understand this (neither did I!) :)...go understand! ;)

Voyager
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Thanks for sharing.

I have taken a few French Exchange Students to some games.

The first was struck with Luke Ball and was amazed when I introduced him to her after the game in the social rooms. She was just amazed that you could get that close to the footballers and thought it most unlikely in France.

Mind you I think Luke was equally amazed which she embraced him rather tighly and with her French accent loudly proclaimed " Luke you are so cute, I loooove you, "... Luke is about the first St Kilda footballer I have seen blush so vividly.

Another took a shine to Jason Blake..but alas no introduction this time.
Let me know if you need some assistance for this (as I wouldn't mind seeing more of the boys at time! ;)

Voyager
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:great read
i did 6 years of french at school and can remember
1. how to say my name, hello and how are you plus thank you
2. that the word swimming pool in french sounds like the word 'pissing'

go u sainters!!!!!
1. Bonjour, je m'appelle Matrixcutter, comment allez-vous? Merci.
2. Yep, swimming pool is 'piscine' in French. When you say it it is like 'pissin'

So weird to type in French..mind you I used to be good in spelling, but now, I can tell you that it has become very hard for talking and writing.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i can remember ca va? and ca va
meaning 'how are you' and 'fine'

i think.
go saints

Voyager
Club Player

snoopygirl wrote:don' ; t perdent l'accent. :wink:
Cannot lose it...believe me Snoopygirl!! :) However, lots of people think that this is a light accent, not a strong one as other French people have so... but, still, once I open my mouth, it doesn't go unnoticed ;)

Voyager
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:i can remember ca va? and ca va
meaning 'how are you' and 'fine'

i think.
go saints
You've got it Matrix!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Voyager wrote:

Let me know if you need some assistance for this (as I wouldn't mind seeing more of the boys at time! ;)
Well my next exchange will probably not now be for 2 years at about which time I will be seeking to arrange an exchange for my youngest daughter in France.

However my eldest daughter is Fluent in French and so next season if you want to share a beer in the Social Club she can practice her French while you chase some autographs. She is always keen to keep her skills up.

Though next July we will all be in Paris.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Voyager wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Great stuff Voyager, this footy club sucks you in, like your former country is getting to my son
I always was the strange one back in France, as I was supporting Oz in rugby, nobody could understand this (neither did I!) :)...go understand! ;)
He is 17 and alsready has been to France, learing french for 5 years and is doing vce french and attends Allianze 2 a week. If he could he would live on both countries, but he has said it would be to difficult to leave oz, especially with the saints, and other sporting teams

I love this club
Voyager
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Voyager wrote:

Well my next exchange will probably not now be for 2 years at about which time I will be seeking to arrange an exchange for my youngest daughter in France.

However my eldest daughter is Fluent in French and so next season if you want to share a beer in the Social Club she can practice her French while you chase some autographs. She is always keen to keep her skills up.

Though next July we will all be in Paris.
No worries...that works for me, even sharing a beer anytime :) I'll pm u my details if you want.

Voyager
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
Voyager wrote:
He is 17 and alsready has been to France, learing french for 5 years and is doing vce french and attends Allianze 2 a week. If he could he would live on both countries, but he has said it would be to difficult to leave oz, especially with the saints, and other sporting teams
Totally understand him :)...cannot even imagine leaving Melbourne!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Great post Voyager...brought a big smile to my face :D

Your passion adds to the rich cultural tapestry that is this fantastic club represents..

Viva la Saints :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Voyager
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:Great post Voyager...brought a big smile to my face :D

Your passion adds to the rich cultural tapestry that is this fantastic club represents..

Viva la Saints :twisted:
;)

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Voyager wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Totally understand him :)...cannot even imagine leaving Melbourne!

Now I just have to stop him talking in french just to p1ss me of
:D

I love this club