Was this our close one, our scare game?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was this our close one, our scare game?

I saw someone bring this up elsewhere, and thought it was worth discussing.

I think nerves at falling at the last hurdle were a major factor, being the best team of the H&A season would bring with it a unbelievable pressure to ensure a place in the grand final. Alot of fumbling and guys off their game, very evident.

I think we will be better for this tight win though, Geelong certainly were in 2007.

Thoughts?

HarveysDeciple

I think form in Prelim's isn't enormously relevant. (Others will likely disagree).

Prelims are such huge games, massive contests, you just have to get through it.

You make a grand final and anything can happen. but that is huge hurdle we got over.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Tim Watson said to Roo after the game "grand finals are hard to win, and isn't making them as hard" or something along those lines....
Last edited by SainterK on Sat 19 Sep 2009 9:48am, edited 1 time in total.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I think the pressure on us to actually make the grand final was enormous. All the talk of 20-2 being a waste of a season if you dont make it. I also think that sometimes the week off can stop your momentum a bit, but I am sure we will reap the benefit of that week off next week if that makes sense.

If we play Geelong I think they will be under more pressure than us - 3 GFs in a row etc.

Next week is a whole new game, I think we will be better.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

geelong fell over the line against the pies in 07, port fell over the line against us in 04.

we are there, next week nothing will be held back.

im betting on a 1/2 time barney.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

This one was the big mental hurdle and it showed. The usual calm confidence wasn't there. They were hesitant early on and were missing targets and looked panicky. Don't forget thought that this represented two different challenges for the two different teams.
For us it was our big hurdle - 0 and 3 from Prelims in the past few seasons, and the spectre of the brilliant H & A season counting for nothing if we tipped over again at this hurdle.
For the Doggies, there has been no expectation because of us and the cats being so far ahead of everyone all year. And you only had to listen to Johnson speak to know that the Dogs really fancied their chances of pinching a flag this year, so it was an all or nothing mentality for them.

This was our big hurdle, watch them play more like themselves next week as the roles are reversed, we have nothing to lose now, the Cats are the ones with the baggage if they get through, 3 GF's in a row and maybe only 1 flag to show for it. The difference is what you saw last night, a team playing to win (Dogs) and a team playing not to lose (Us). We got through in the end on a mixture of luck, effort, and a bit better list.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
widereceiver
Club Player

We were lucky, and took our chances in the end. For the Dogs it was like us in 04 against Port, they played better but didn't take theirs and were very stiff. I don't think the GF will be the same game, thankfully.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well, Geelong had the easy one....

marksnsparks
Club Player

I think during the week Geelong will become firmer and firmer favorites. As that happens, the pressure will reduce for us.

After that, the return of the mid season form will happen IMHO.

kaos theory
Club Player

The reality is that we were under the most pressure of all 4 teams going into the PF.

If we lost, after been 20-2 for the season, it would have been a huge psychological scar.

The cats had won a flag recently, but this would have been our best chance in 43 years, so we were under the most pressure.

imo, we will be more focused and switch on for the gf. It will be seen as a fantastic challenge.

the cats will be under more pressure....

StSteven
Club Player

All this talk of who is under the most pressure is nonsense. Every team wants to win a GF....it is the ultimate pressure. Do we think we are not under pressure, ie we don't need to win as muxh as the opposition.

Pressure has NOTHING to do with performance on the field. It only has a great impact on columnists and supporters.

The team that has the best and fittest talent along with the most intensity at the ball will win it.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Every prelim we have lost in the last 5-6 years, the team that has beaten us has gone on to win the Grand Final. This year we won, so guess what? Destiny tells me it is OURS!!!!

Seriously, I think that now the Saints are there, it should be a whole new ball game. No need to worry about injuries, no need to take the foot of the pedal to save yourself and no need to worry about being reported (cause who cares if you miss the first week or 2 of the H&A season). They will go out and play knowing this is the last dance for the season.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yes!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:I think form in Prelim's isn't enormously relevant. (Others will likely disagree).

Prelims are such huge games, massive contests, you just have to get through it.

You make a grand final and anything can happen. but that is huge hurdle we got over.
Totally agree.

Prelims contain the nerves.....GF's teams roll the dice - all or nothing.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping that winning on Friday has broken the shackles similar to Port Adelaide when they beat us in 2004.

This week all players have the licence to unleash because there will be no more next week.

If we tackle hard in the midfield we will win. Milne and Schneider will need to contribute defensively as well as offensively (McQ already does) and we will also need to straighten up and not be afraid to trust our tall forwards. BJ, Joey and Gram will be weapons if they can attack and bring the ball inside 50. Gardiner could be our x factor and Kosi.....this is your day to step up and win the Norm Smith.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Prelims are usually the toughest games of the year.

Grand Finals are a different ballgame completely.

We are the best performed team of the year and had to make the granny.
We've done that, now we go out and give it all one more time.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell