4TH PRELIM IN 6 YEARS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintHomer
Club Player

4TH PRELIM IN 6 YEARS

Surely we gotta get up in this one.

2004 - vs Port Adelaide. I was actually in Ireland by all accounts it was ours for the taking but just fell short. Its heartbreaking... and I've never seen the game! (and I never will)
2005 - vs Sydney. Too many supporters had us over the line before the game started, I was sick of reading about GF tickets on here. Maybe the players got ahead of themselves too. Huge opportunity lost.
2008 - vs Hawthorn. Even though we'd beaten them in our last meeting, Hawks were flying at this stage and I wasn't confident.

Ironically, each of these sides went on to win the flag. Dogs will be hoping history repeats itself. I WON'T BE.

2009 - this is our time. We have the cattle, we have the confidence, we have the gameplan.

GO SAINTERS!!!

Riewoldt=Gun_09
Club Player

Great post
04 was shattering
05 was not fair
08 can be redeemed this year

This is Saints footy
chook23
Saintsational Legend

This same point could be used by doggies

They have LOST their last SIX (6) prelim finals!!

saint4life
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 4TH PRELIM IN 6 YEARS

SaintHomer wrote:Surely we gotta get up in this one.

2005 - vs Sydney. Too many supporters had us over the line before the game started, I was sick of reading about GF tickets on here. Maybe the players got ahead of themselves too. Huge opportunity lost.
I think everyone got ahead of Saints bandwagon leading into that game. The supporters, the players, the coaches, the club and the media!

Live and learn!

Bad management is bad management
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i know i got waaaaaay ahead of myself when i put 350 smackers on us to beat the hawks last year just before i walked into the ground.

thats gambling 8-)

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:i know i got waaaaaay ahead of myself when i put 350 smackers on us to beat the hawks last year just before i walked into the ground.

thats gambling 8-)
I wouldn't have used that word!!!!

:lol:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
yeah dumb ass comes to mind as well
sure theres a few others
:twisted:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:This same point could be used by doggies

in the space of 5 yrs?

“Yeah….nah””
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
chook23 wrote:This same point could be used by doggies

in the space of 5 yrs?
obviously not

saint4life
plumtire
Club Player

The saints are yet to win a finals game against the doggies too!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plumtire wrote:The saints are yet to win a finals game against the doggies too!
3rd time lucky

saint4life
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: 4TH PRELIM IN 6 YEARS

SaintHomer wrote:2005 - vs Sydney. Too many supporters had us over the line before the game startedGO SAINTERS!!!

Sounds a bit familiar doesn't it? Reading some of the posts on here about whether we'll play the pies or the cats in the GF. What are the saints doing on the Saturday night/Sunday after the GF.

THere's being confident, then there's being cocky....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plumtire wrote:The saints are yet to win a finals game against the doggies too!
so history is against us, eh? yet another challenge for the boys.

Richter
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:i know i got waaaaaay ahead of myself when i put 350 smackers on us to beat the hawks last year just before i walked into the ground.

thats gambling 8-)
Yeah, me too. Didn't have access to a GF ticket had we beat them, so I decided to put the cost of one towards Hawks up at half time, us winning at full time to be able to afford one.

Hmmmm..... this year I took the option of joining up as a social club member....... hopefully the team's outcome will be different too.....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Schillaci
Club Player

Things occur in 3s I'm told so we will win. :wink:

That Port game was a beauty....thought we couldn't have played any better. Port were magnificent and deserved to win. One of those games where it was a shame to have a loser....and it was a shame that it was us. Was really proud to go down in the manner that we did in that game.

Sydney game was hugely disappointing and took me a long time to get over. Hurt to see Swans win flag and Hally play...or maybe I've got the year wrong there....bitter feelings though

Hawks were too good and disappointing to watch a final knowing it was over so quickly

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Well history sys that if the Dogs roll us, they'll win the flag.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually, I went to the 05 prelim worried and not confident.

We had lost Hammill, Sammy and Frankie from the game against Adelaide and thought the side we had in might not be enough.

Sadly I was right.

However, this time we have come from the 1st position, not 3rd or 4th.

This time we have virtually a full and healthy list, not like the other times.

So this time, the other thing that will change is that we will win.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Actually, I went to the 05 prelim worried and not confident.

We had lost Hammill, Sammy and Frankie from the game against Adelaide and thought the side we had in might not be enough.
Me too.

It felt like being led to the gallows that night.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Things occur in 3s I'm told so we will win. :wink:

That Port game was a beauty....thought we couldn't have played any better. Port were magnificent and deserved to win. One of those games where it was a shame to have a loser....and it was a shame that it was us. Was really proud to go down in the manner that we did in that game.

Sydney game was hugely disappointing and took me a long time to get over. Hurt to see Swans win flag and Hally play...or maybe I've got the year wrong there....bitter feelings though

Hawks were too good and disappointing to watch a final knowing it was over so quickly
Yep...pretty much summed up my feelings too. Proud in 04, shattered in 05,,but resigned to what happened in 08

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
maverick
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Schillaci wrote:Things occur in 3s I'm told so we will win. :wink:

Yep...pretty much summed up my feelings too. Proud in 04, shattered in 05,,but resigned to what happened in 08
Well said, I came back from the Crows game in '05 as happy as I have been since the prelim in 1997, only to watch the replay back later that night and realise how important Chips was, and how much we were going to miss him...

This year just feels so different....finally we are fit...

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i didnt think we would win in 04. but then we got to a nice lead before the crowd ran on the ground and we were gone from there.

05 was just embarrassing.

08 we were never going to win that. hawks didnt even try after the 10th min mark of the third quarter, they were just doing a training drill for next week vs the cats.

this year??? if we lose its official that we are the worlds biggest chokers. but i honestly believe this year we wont, there has never been a better chance to win a prelim, vs a team we have already beated twice in the home and away season! (thats what i thought in of though :cry: )

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Drove over in 04...always thought we were robbed by the umpring in the last quarter,but never watched a replay....so wonders whether I'm just ridiculously one eyed(I am) or whether some of those decisions were corrupt? I remember a laughable one against Penny in the goal square?
Then Wanganeen kicked 2 out of his arse,and Guey forgot to put his foot on the ball in the dying seconds.

05 I was living in Darwin,and had my flights booked to come home for the GF.....organised 2 weeks off work......win we play a terrible side in West Coast. We got looked after by the umps,Sydney played pathetically for 3 quarters,and we surrended and gave the worst performance of any StKilda football side in my lifetime...forget the rabble years, this was pathetic,yes we had a few injuries, but so what,it was a disgrace the way we played and surrended without a yelp.
I was an angry man for a long time with the group after this. To know that they were out celebrating like new years after the game only rubbed salt into the wounds. I declared that was it after that,no more...

I never watched the opening 4 games in 06. The ineterest was gone,the hurt was still there. As the year went on though I slipped back into my old habits. Although when we lost to Melbourne in that Elimination I really wasn't that phased as we weren't going further

08- Can never remember being so disinterested in a finals campaign,our brand of football was a snoozefest. I had no passion for it, and either did the supporter base really. Was just a very flat campaign,one which was a financial nuisance and more of a Harvey tribute tour. We never really had a chance against the hawks,they were up and about along with there supporters,we were just making up the numbers

09-It's been a stunning year. Some great days/weekends at the footy,with some memorable games. The Geelong game was one of the greatest.
However, I'm trying to stay low key. Once the game starts friday night I'll be one possesed supporter though. If we win, then this our chance to make up for our hurtful history and give me the one and only thing i've wanted too see,a Stkilda premiership. If we lose,then it's just more of the same.
I'm really sick of the same

Bring back the Lockett era
SuperSaint
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Drove over in 04...always thought we were robbed by the umpring in the last quarter,but never watched a replay....so wonders whether I'm just ridiculously one eyed(I am) or whether some of those decisions were corrupt? I remember a laughable one against Penny in the goal square?
Then Wanganeen kicked 2 out of his arse,and Guey forgot to put his foot on the ball in the dying seconds.

05 I was living in Darwin,and had my flights booked to come home for the GF.....organised 2 weeks off work......win we play a terrible side in West Coast. We got looked after by the umps,Sydney played pathetically for 3 quarters,and we surrended and gave the worst performance of any StKilda football side in my lifetime...forget the rabble years, this was pathetic,yes we had a few injuries, but so what,it was a disgrace the way we played and surrended without a yelp.
I was an angry man for a long time with the group after this. To know that they were out celebrating like new years after the game only rubbed salt into the wounds. I declared that was it after that,no more...

I never watched the opening 4 games in 06. The ineterest was gone,the hurt was still there. As the year went on though I slipped back into my old habits. Although when we lost to Melbourne in that Elimination I really wasn't that phased as we weren't going further

08- Can never remember being so disinterested in a finals campaign,our brand of football was a snoozefest. I had no passion for it, and either did the supporter base really. Was just a very flat campaign,one which was a financial nuisance and more of a Harvey tribute tour. We never really had a chance against the hawks,they were up and about along with there supporters,we were just making up the numbers

09-It's been a stunning year. Some great days/weekends at the footy,with some memorable games. The Geelong game was one of the greatest.
However, I'm trying to stay low key. Once the game starts friday night I'll be one possesed supporter though. If we win, then this our chance to make up for our hurtful history and give me the one and only thing i've wanted too see,a Stkilda premiership. If we lose,then it's just more of the same.
I'm really sick of the same
A good read there Jonesy. :) Very similar to my own thoughts and feelings over the last 5 years and our 3 Prelim Final losses. This Friday the guys have to make a statement, otherwise their stellar 2009 season will count for absolutely nothing. It is time now. We cannot let the Dogs pinch our glory. They simply do not deserve it more than us this year and that's why I am confident the guys will win their way to the Grand Final.