bulldogs barometer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

bulldogs barometer

I believe is Eagleton

If he starts to run free and gets a couple of goals they usually win.

He never goes near a pack, but has a wonderful ability to be 40 metres in the clear. He must blend into the fence. The doggies will look to switch to his flank and him to attack from 60m out.

I would go for #10 to take him out, Bakes also has the experience to know when to go the other way and make Eagleton pay.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

thought you were going to say brian lake. I have watched and watched and I still cant see why he is supposedly so good

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Eagleton is the Bulldogs version of tarkyn Lockyer. Unaccountable front running soft ball poonce.

We'll make him accountable and he won't go near it.

Cooney is the one. Gives them so much drive. Stop him, stop them.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
35...LEGEND
Club Player

i reckon Aker has the ability to lift this team.............need's serious attention imo.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:i reckon Aker has the ability to lift this team.............need's serious attention imo.
agree. and cooney and eagleton.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Eagleton is the Bulldogs version of tarkyn Lockyer. Unaccountable front running soft ball poonce.

We'll make him accountable and he won't go near it.

Cooney is the one. Gives them so much drive. Stop him, stop them.
he he we love him 8-)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dempster third forward, tags lake :P

howlinwolf
Club Player

mullet wrote:thought you were going to say brian lake. I have watched and watched and I still cant see why he is supposedly so good
He is obviously the best full back in the league. An incredibly good player.

Takes excellent contested marks and backs himself. Has run and carry.
Rarely panics. Recovers from contests and is back into it at the speed of light.

The last time they played us they had many forward 50 entries for little result. If our backline can be virtually inpenetrable again we'll win.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
ThePunter
Club Player

The key for this week (and the GF) is for Kosi to ensure that he leads well up the ground. Long, searching leads where he starts deep forward and ends up near the wing.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:
mullet wrote:thought you were going to say brian lake. I have watched and watched and I still cant see why he is supposedly so good

Rarely panics. Recovers from contests and is back into it at the speed of light.

The last time they played us they had many forward 50 entries for little result. If our backline can be virtually inpenetrable again we'll win.
I'll take your word for it but all the games I have seen I dont reckon he is anything special. Good maybe but not the way the commentators carry on over him. Anyway hope he has no impact on Friday

busso mick
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:dempster third forward, tags lake :P
Even we pressure him he might go to water 8-)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I rate most of the Bulldogs team. I haven't rated Griffen lately, but he was bloody good on Friday night.

They are a dangerous bunch, especially on a big ground like the MCG where they have troubled Geelong in two successive finals series.

Cooney, Aker, Hahn, Higgins, Boyd, Gilbee, Lake, Morris, Johnson , Murphy (on his day), Eagleton (on his day), Gia, Minson and the rest: it's a pretty good lineup and one that you would underrate at your peril (and I'm sure Lyon won't).

The only one I really don't rate at all is Scott Welsh. If I were Eade, I would pick Josh Hill over him every time: albeit that Hill wasn't much chop against the Cats.

Eade is an overrated coach IMO, but there are days when everything clicks for the Dogs on field and in the coach's box.

The best way to beat the Dogs is to get on top early and force them to flood back more and take fewer risks bringing the ball out of defence. My worry is that we too haven't started that well in recent weeks.

We aren't ahead by 3 or more goals at half time, I'll be starting to get very nervous and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:

I'll take your word for it but all the games I have seen I dont reckon he is anything special. Good maybe but not the way the commentators carry on over him. Anyway hope he has no impact on Friday
Lake is an out and out gun. Strong in the air, great hands, creative.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
aussiejones
Club Player

"there are days when everything clicks for the Dogs on field and in the coach's box"

Agree.... most teams have this happen. Its like an X factor which must overcome. Bris early against Collingwood had it.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:"there are days when everything clicks for the Dogs on field and in the coach's box"

Agree.... most teams have this happen.
Not the Tigers or Dockers in recent seasons.

But you are right, even poor teams can have their days: eg, the Dogs against us in 2004 (ugh).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintHomer
Club Player

guys like eagleton and minson are confidence players. need to get on top of them early.

write off the dogs at your own peril. they run all night and will come home strong. they have been very good against the cats this year, and probably got us almost at our peak in round 17.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

SaintHomer wrote:
write off the dogs at your own peril. they run all night and will come home strong. they have been very good against the cats this year, and probably got us almost at our peak in round 17.
disagree

we were coming off the really tough month. I remember thinking at half time that the dogs could easily run all over us, we were looking as flat as ....... stupid me

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The OP is right about Eagleton...it was amazing on Friday night how he was able to sneak out on his own forward of the ball.

My theory is he wears an umpires top under his Bulldogs jumper, rolls that jumper up and sneaks away along the boundary, acts like a boundary umpire, then rolls his jumper back down and starts waving, 'kick it to me, kick it to me!'.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:guys like eagleton and minson are confidence players. need to get on top of them early.

I believe we didn't have either Kosi or Gardiner that night?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I think there's a bee's diaphragm between the Dogs, Cats and us at the moment ability wise.

Attitude, courage and belief could make the difference - it's whoever has the mental strength advantage on the day.

The Dogs are at their best form right now and the Cats are starting to get back to their best form.

We need to be mentally and physically fit and strong to succeed and yes there's some luck required which we can't control.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

they have many good players but there barometer is Adam Cooeny, shut him out and they're hopeless

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

35...LEGEND wrote:i reckon Aker has the ability to lift this team.............need's serious attention imo.
Spot on. Negate Aker and the Bulldogs are in trouble. They would want to hope that he plays on next year.

Eagleton is also crucial to their structure. Definitely needs some 'attention'.

As for Cooney, the problem is his consistency. You never know whether he is going to 'turn up' or not. Last year was his most consistent year (not Brownlow medal worth IMO), whereas this year he has performed inconsistently due to injury interruptions.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SaintHomer
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:guys like eagleton and minson are confidence players. need to get on top of them early.

I believe we didn't have either Kosi or Gardiner that night?
one thing i've learnt through Ross the Boss, is the in's and out's shouldn't reflect how the side is travelling. when we had a good player out, i used to think, well that's it for us (ie hamill, gehrig, harvey), but nowadays, apart from riewoldt i think all can be covered.

i remember going to the dogs game with the strangest feeling, that we would win. it's very rare as a saints supporter that i have had that feeling. hence why i reckon we were at our peak. for me, we were still invincible.

but then again, maybe its the dozen or so beers i had at the cats/hawks thriller beforehand that gave me that feeling :lol:

Raven
Club Player

Re: bulldogs barometer

terry smith rules wrote: I would go for #10 to take him out, Bakes also has the experience to know when to go the other way and make Eagleton pay.
Baker will most likely be on Aker, I'd say.

sainter35
Club Player

We just have to make Lake accountable.

If we just bomb the ball long and allow him to be the third or fourth man up he'll mark it every time.

As for Eagleton, I don't know why people are criticising him for doing the job that he's born to play.

Stopping him is a pretty easy equation though. Win the contested footy and he won't get his usual supply.