List Management...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

List Management...

After winning a flag, we often hear about "keeping the group together" in the hope of winning another flag soon.

Apart from Brisbane, and maybe Geelong, winning 2 flags back to back or within a few years of each other, this hasn't happened for a while. So one can argue that "keeping" your list intact is a myth.

One thing I've noticed is that this approach eventually leads to salary cap issues, and the mass exodus of experienced players causes the inevitabledecline and need to rebuild.

Now, suppose we win the flag this year...

How would you manage the list?

My view is that I'd like to see Max and King moved on. MacEvoy and Geary to be given regular spots, and Armo also given more game time. I think blooding 3 fresh players is sufficient.

That said, who else would go? Gwilt is on the fringe, and Dempster appears to have a future under Lyon.

Our mids are as strong as ever, so do we have room for a younger kid to come in?

And, finally, would you consider cutting a higher paid player in order to make room in the salary cap, so that you can keep your core group of champions? Like Sydeny and Geelong did.

Discuss...

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Legendary
Club Player

Who did Geelong cut?

They've kept their group fairly much intact the last 2-3 years ...

I don't see us making many changes, just the obvious retirements, maybe a couple of delistings. We've got our base of players 22-27 years old, and then a good wave of youngsters 18-21 IMO.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Who did Geelong cut?
Players no longer with the Cats since 2007 (who played a senior game in that year)

Brent Prismall, Tim Callan, Charlie Gardiner, Steven King, Nathan Ablett, Henry Playfair and Matthew Egan (recently retired).