I never believed in it but......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I never believed in it but......

Rounds 20 + 21 were the losses we had to have.

Could you imagine the pressure from the media if we hadn't lost yet.

Not only do the losses keep the media at bay but for the players it has further re-inforced the fact if you don't come to play you can get done.

I congratulate Ross Lyon for being able to manufacture the two losses.

Richter
SS Life Member

I firmly believe that in the first few minutes of the Bombers game the players "turned off". Most of the stars had just had a week off, nevertheless our 'B' team made short work of the Hawks. And in the first couple of minutes of the Bombers game we got an easy clearance which led to a Dal Santo goal and then a gimme free to go 2 goals up within 2 mins.

The players thought it was all too easy - that all they needed to do was turn up and a win was guaranteed. We slackened off our attack at the ball and started getting beaten in one-on-one contests.

IMO this lasted through the next 3 games..... until the second quarter of the QF. The moment that turned us back "on" was the bump by BJ on Dale Thomas. Before that we were getting beaten in the man-on-man contests, after that the pies were a damp squib and our ferocity came back.

We looked like the team that stormed to a 19-0 streak after that. And I expect that utter commitment and attack on the ball to remain for the rest of the season now.
Last edited by Richter on Tue 08 Sep 2009 11:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

When we lost those games, I was a little worried, but for the first time for a long time as a Saints fan I thought the coaching staff knew what they were doing and alll would be fine.

And it was :D

I love this club
mick13
Club Player

Wouldnt have minded beating the Roos.

But I think that miss against the Dons is what will spur Roo to kill it in this finals system.

Hopefully we'll look back on that kick and think 'thank god he missed'.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Yeah. I'd say the moment that the Pies got up 23 - 8 (approx) saw us turn it on.

Won the next clearance from the centre resulting in a Goddard goal. From there, the intensity went through the roof.

Goddards bump, followed quickly by Schnieders run-down of Swan, the result of 15 minutes of intense Saints football.

Great to watch!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: I never believed in it but......

Goose is king wrote:Rounds 20 + 21 were the losses we had to have.

Could you imagine the pressure from the media if we hadn't lost yet.

Not only do the losses keep the media at bay but for the players it has further re-inforced the fact if you don't come to play you can get done.

I congratulate Ross Lyon for being able to manufacture the two losses.
agree. we already had top spot locked after the cats lost on the saturday night.

did anyone watch dal i those 2 weeks. sorry but there is no way the guy was trying. i watched him and he was just trotting around away from the ball.

no cups handed out in august that i know of. and who gives a toss if we went 22-nil? means nothing if u dont win the cup. september is that counts.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Yeah. I'd say the moment that the Pies got up 23 - 8 (approx) saw us turn it on.

Won the next clearance from the centre resulting in a Goddard goal. From there, the intensity went through the roof.

Goddards bump, followed quickly by Schnieders run-down of Swan, the result of 15 minutes of intense Saints football.

Great to watch!
Someone said on here a few weeks ago to wait until 1/4 time of the first final, then the saints would turn it on. Whoever it was was spot on.

Riewoldt stood up like the champion he is though. It's like he singlehandedly awoke us from our slumber. Singlehandedly dragged us back into the game and the rest was history. It was 'Carey like' his onfield leadership - and in my opinion there is no higher praise. He tackled, smothered, marked and kicked clutch goals that were crucial to our win. September is the making of some guys. Roo is on the way to elevate himself from elite to legend - and his mate Lenny isn't that far behind.

I reckon Lenny will receive a hard tag in the prelim though as other teams have started to realise that he is the KEY in the midfield for us.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

those two losses count for nothing now...except for a mention in the record books.....i would however have been happier with a win over the roos.....one loss was more than enough thank you...... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Riewoldt stood up like the champion he is though. It's like he singlehandedly awoke us from our slumber. Singlehandedly dragged us back into the game and the rest was history. It was 'Carey like' his onfield leadership - and in my opinion there is no higher praise. He tackled, smothered, marked and kicked clutch goals that were crucial to our win. September is the making of some guys. Roo is on the way to elevate himself from elite to legend - and his mate Lenny isn't that far behind.

I reckon Lenny will receive a hard tag in the prelim though as other teams have started to realise that he is the KEY in the midfield for us.
this is where others apart from riewoldt and hayes need to stand up and deliver the type of team effort that has been our hallmark all season. we cannot afford to rely on just a few to fire to get us up.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:Riewoldt stood up like the champion he is though. It's like he singlehandedly awoke us from our slumber. Singlehandedly dragged us back into the game and the rest was history. It was 'Carey like' his onfield leadership - and in my opinion there is no higher praise. He tackled, smothered, marked and kicked clutch goals that were crucial to our win. September is the making of some guys. Roo is on the way to elevate himself from elite to legend - and his mate Lenny isn't that far behind.

this is where others apart from riewoldt and hayes need to stand up and deliver the type of team effort that has been our hallmark all season. we cannot afford to rely on just a few to fire to get us up.
I agree. However it's the champions that usually get the ball rolling. Our leaders did that, and the boys all fell into line. Certainly wasn't a two man effort on Sunday. THis is why they are the leaders and why they are so good. THey inspired our boys and reminded them why we are so good. The rest of the team took the cue - and away we went.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I've heard through the grapevine that the entire slump was planned and executed to perfection. Word was the heirachy couldn't have been happier with the way things were before the qualifying final

Bring back the Lockett era
Richter
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:I reckon Lenny will receive a hard tag in the prelim though as other teams have started to realise that he is the KEY in the midfield for us.
All interesting points.

Not so sure about this one though...... it's Lenny's desire and ability to win contests that is his hallmark.... not sure that a tagger makes much of a difference to that sort of a mid...... I'd expect Dal/BJ/Joey to get the tag as they hurt more with their disposal than Lenny does.

In all honesty though, we have enough of an even spread, when you include Fish, Gilbo, Gram, Ray...... we have too many players who consistently get the ball and use it profitably for teams to match up on us......

Having said all that, head-to-head both the Dogs and Cats midfields match up well against ours.... it's just that I believe that both our forward 6 and back 6 are much stronger than either of those teams.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lenny is hard to tag.....about the only one who has his measure is Captain Kirk....and Lenny is having his best year ever.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

going 25-0 was mentally and physically impossible.
it was all a good dream, but too hard these days. will never be done.
no team can keep up the same form for 6 odd months, with the media and everything its too hard.
looking back now its best off we lost those games

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
aussiejones
Club Player

Sundays game was a good hit out , it showed we can still play our game style to good effect .

Sure we strangled the Pies , but they were pretty bad (how much of this was our game ?) How over rated were they ?

Our run up to the finals seems to be working out fine. Two losses are forgotten already.

Geelong are seeminly doing the same thing though .

IMO its still shaping up as a Geelong St Kilda GF.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Rounds 20 and 21 might be a massive blessing in disguise.

Took the media focus and pressure off us and let us fly under the radar.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Moods wrote:I reckon Lenny will receive a hard tag in the prelim though as other teams have started to realise that he is the KEY in the midfield for us.
All interesting points.

Not so sure about this one though...... it's Lenny's desire and ability to win contests that is his hallmark.... not sure that a tagger makes much of a difference to that sort of a mid...... I'd expect Dal/BJ/Joey to get the tag as they hurt more with their disposal than Lenny does.
Not so sure about either of those points either Richter. I reckon Lenny's disposal in the past 2 months is the best in our team. He generally goes for the difficult kick, and rarely turns it over (something he was prone to do when he returned from his knee reco)

A couple of times this year when a hard tag has been applied he has been quiet. Other times he has been great. It's all about the whole midfield depth - which you alluded to as well. If everyone stands up, it doesn't matter who you tag. Who tags for the bullies? Picken?

starsign
Club Player

jonesy wrote:I've heard through the grapevine that the entire slump was planned and executed to perfection. Word was the heirachy couldn't have been happier with the way things were before the qualifying final
me either!
been telling everyone for a few weeks we've just been foxing and like the lady nightcart driver ....."just going through the motions"

SaintWodonga
Club Player

jonesy wrote:I've heard through the grapevine that the entire slump was planned and executed to perfection. Word was the heirachy couldn't have been happier with the way things were before the qualifying final
I had the feeling Ross was playing "ducks and drakes" to take some of the heat out of the season. Was happy to see the pressure return on Sunday.. Should be coach of the year.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It is all coming together nicely, isn't it :D

saintly
Saintsational Legend

ross sstated in his media conference that the coaching staff and and fitness people would be looking at how the saints should train , gnot get them too 'up' but not slackening htem 'dwon' too much. as he said look what happened after the hawthotrn game when players had a week off. and it appears that the players too a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of things.

therefore since that is what he said, he won't be giving htem too mcuh of a break at all. may even give them match game