Healy's article re Straight sets...Worst Nightmare..........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StSteven
Club Player

Healy's article re Straight sets...Worst Nightmare..........

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Straight sets. You can't be serious,
EXCERPT

ST KILDA swept all comers this season before stumbling in the past three weeks. Can the Saints and Ross Lyon switch on their winning formula, or are they in real trouble when it matters most?
Last edited by StSteven on Sat 05 Sep 2009 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Worst Nightmare..........

StSteven wrote:....Tomorrow the Saints face Collingwood....
No wonder it's your worst nightmare, it's one day before the game!

You're dreaming!

StSteven
Club Player

True I even dreamt Rocca was playing.......must have been dreaming!

St_Nicholas

Speaking of dreams...
I had a dream that StK slaughtered the maggies to the tune of 106 points!

And for what it's worth, only footy dream this season was before the Don's game, and I dreamed that we lost it. Pretty unlikely coincidence you would have to say.

Put your money on the saints y'all we're dead set certainties!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

St_Nicholas wrote:Speaking of dreams...
I had a dream that StK slaughtered the maggies to the tune of 106 points!

And for what it's worth, only footy dream this season was before the Don's game, and I dreamed that we lost it. Pretty unlikely coincidence you would have to say.

Put your money on the saints y'all we're dead set certainties!
Good enough for me. I can sleep easy tonight. Nite all!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I couldn't read that article, what a doom sayer...

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Cant believe HEALY wrote that shyte...

It is almost like the media vultures are circling and attempting to put as much pressure on hoping the SAINTS will fail.

Well I am now confident it wont happen - our last three weeks have just been our mental application & attitude rolling to the finals with fresh minds and bodies with nothing really to play for.

I also have an interest in NRL and have been noticing the parallels between St George (NRL saints) and the ST Kilda SAINTS.

* Both teams have the leagues best defence.
* Bost teams have a great team defence approach.
* Both teams choke the life out of the opposition.
* Both teams were nye unbeatable all season.
* Both teams are coached by dour astute coaches.
* Both teams have had great years and late season form slumps.

St George had lost three straight and everyone was starting to write them off also. Tonight they beat the Parramatta Eeels who had been like Collingwood in recent weeks had a huge winning streak. The last home & away game and the Dragons just switched their old attitude and defensive aggression back on and smashed the Eels 37 nil.

I am now even more confident that our lull in form has been constructed by LYON and the true SAINTS will turn up Sunday and wipe the Pies...

There is a strong chance of the SAINTS playing the Bulldogs in the Grandfinal in both codes - would be a very interesting little quirk!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Fri 04 Sep 2009 11:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I couldn't read that article, what a doom sayer...
or a possible bit of truth

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Shake the nerves would you :shock:

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

He summed it up pretty well I thought.

I could take the first loss,had to happen eventually. The North game was a concern,but the Melbourne game was majorly dissapointing and completly zapped my trust. We looked second rate for much of it against tankers.

Can we flick the switch...hope so, but I need to be convinced again.

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:He summed it up pretty well I thought.

I could take the first loss,had to happen eventually. The North game was a concern,but the Melbourne game was majorly dissapointing and completly zapped my trust. We looked second rate for much of it against tankers.

Can we flick the switch...hope so, but I need to be convinced again.
In fairness, we played Melbourne like we realised they were a team that wanted to lose, hardly motivating circumstances?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Oh, save me from the depressives. RTB had one H&A goal - finish top 2. Done and dusted 7 (odd) rounds out. Top spot was an indulgence, but got there a month out.

We've had numerous challenges during the year, and met every goddamn friggin' one. Some wascally wabbits suggest our second half has been poor, cf the first half........BULLSHYTE.

Our best month of footy was rounds 14 - 17. Cats, then they collapsed, to Perth, won with 20 minutes of our best, back home, supposedly ripe for the picking, AND WE PLAYED OUR BEST FORTNIGHT OF FOOTY. Beat Adelaide with the most dominant of performances, followed up with the Dogs, and had both those clubs lauding our capability, not because they were trying to lull us, because they both aspired TO BE US.

Then we went to Tassie, and won. And ya know what?....everyone on our list then knew we were the best side in it because Ross the Boss had told us you win if you listen.

We are cherry ripe. Fit, talented and ready. 4 sides in history have won 20 games in the H&A season and only one has not won the flag (guess who).

People need to acknowledge history, which is judged over a season, not the 3 weeks before the finals when the season's best side has naught to play for. And, when people pay due homage to history, you come up with the same reaction as Malted Milkhouse had last Sunday when he, and his overrated, soft drawn side found themselves facing us.

And, ya know why he was so pissed off? 'Cos he has to play us, and MM knows history. That's why he's playing the ducks and drakes with Rocca (Christ I hope they play him). How will we respond? We won't, because we are the leaders here. Watch us play our own game on Sunday. The effort will be back, and the structures will return. Once those 2 come together, we run games.

Does anyone who genuinely follows this footy club honestly believe what we had up to round 18 (Hawthorn?) is gawn??? Spare me.

In Ross I trust. It's all about effort and I can't wait until Sunday. The effort will be back and when it arrives, contenders will doff their tacky caps to the kings.

Are we clear?

This is the best prepared side we have ever had. It's ours to lose.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If this article spooks you then you should get out NOW! (weak bastards!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Wigsy
Club Player

Well, the Other Thommo, inspiring stuff, but like some others I am yet to be convinced. I'm not sure we can do anything until it pans out on Sunday. A loss (well, more than a goal or so) would confirm the nightmare, but clearly not put an end to us. Perhaps we become the hunter once again. A win, and nervous nellies like myself will be totally soothed and thinking "what were we thinking?"! It's not criticism, just a hope that that effort will suddenly return. There are clear reasons why it might have fallen away such as the irrelevance of the games, but here's hoping. Strong lineup, no injuries, and hopefully there is some serious fury unleashed!

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Understand nervousness, Wigsy, yet I keep coming back to history. A dispassionate evaluation of our season leads to only one conclusion - if we don't faint at the sight of Joffa's rotten head (let alone the jacket even the good folk of Georgia, USA, rejected), we're home.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Wigsy
Club Player

Agree - there is something in that. Still, if you remove the 20 wins and just look at top spot, then over the past decade and a half the minor premiership winner is hitting at about 33% (from memory). Some of those minor premier winners are perhaps not what you would call the best team and unlucky to lose (ie, Port twice, before Lions premierships), but that can be a little bit of revisionism as well.

Anyway, apologies, I'm not meaning to bring it all down. Maybe I'm just preparing myself just in case. Gut instinct is still good - I've got to say, for something that has absolutely nothing to do with the final result, it has been very accurate in big games over a fair period. My head said deep concern v Collingwood in 08 Semi Final and gut said sit tight and enjoy! Hawks was the complete reverse - head said we will beat them easily again like in the H&A, but gut said just go along, eat your chips, and leave quickly. I feel relatively at ease. Hmm ...

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The top spot thing needs to be tempered with who, who else and by how far. I don't think Brisbane finished on top in any of their 3 peat. And, few have had numbers like ours.

To put it an entirely different way, I'd rather be in our magoos (shoes, not twos) than anybody else's.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

It is a slow week in the media. Nothing better to write about so they have to make up some drama and intrigue. Treat the article with the contempt it deserves.

I have COMPLETE faith in this team. Couldn't give a toss that we lost 2 home and away games. Look out Collingwood, you ain't going to know what hit ya!!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

For all his shortcomings, Rohan Connolly hit the mark in Friday's Age. In assessing us, he basically said too many had placed too much importance on our last month, and failed to appreciate our year, during which we met every challenge.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
You exist to protect the right to say I told you so in the event of defeat.

Honestly, its pathetic.

Perk up, sunshine.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wigsy wrote:Agree - there is something in that. Still, if you remove the 20 wins and just look at top spot, then over the past decade and a half the minor premiership winner is hitting at about 33% (from memory). Some of those minor premier winners are perhaps not what you would call the best team and unlucky to lose (ie, Port twice, before Lions premierships), but that can be a little bit of revisionism as well.

Anyway, apologies, I'm not meaning to bring it all down. Maybe I'm just preparing myself just in case. Gut instinct is still good - I've got to say, for something that has absolutely nothing to do with the final result, it has been very accurate in big games over a fair period. My head said deep concern v Collingwood in 08 Semi Final and gut said sit tight and enjoy! Hawks was the complete reverse - head said we will beat them easily again like in the H&A, but gut said just go along, eat your chips, and leave quickly. I feel relatively at ease. Hmm ...
Prepare yourself?

Hey listen, enjoy the ride....gearing yourself up for a loss, doesn't make a loss any less disappointing....it does however take the enjoyment out of winning.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Well Healy has certainly changed his tune from last week! Didn't he still have us his tip for the flag?

That being said, hardly different than what Aussie Jones recently said, though he has been a big Lyon critic from year one!

Bad management is bad management
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Why wasnt collingwood mentioned as going out in straight sets, why did he put so much pressure on stkilda. What a biased article trying to put pressure on Stkilda.

God lets just pump collingwood tomorrow and shut everyone the f#@% up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Why wasnt collingwood mentioned as going out in straight sets, why did he put so much pressure on stkilda. What a biased article trying to put pressure on Stkilda.

God lets just pump collingwood tomorrow and shut everyone the f#@% up.
Just maybe he is trying to fire us up afterall he has picked us to win the flag. If the article was on the pies people would whinge that it was just written to fire them up against us. Why do people have all these conspiracy theories.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No offence plugger66, but what on earth does Gerard have to do with firing up the boys?