13 years, 9th longest player EVER, last year, ROSS?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

13 years, 9th longest player EVER, last year, ROSS?????

It is absolutely disgusting how Max Hudghton has been dropped from the side. He will probably retire this year as the 9th longest player for the Saints with no match send off, no thank you, no nothing.
I could not help but feel for him, watching the 3 Melbourne players get their dignified send off last week. If Ross wasn't going to play him, give him what he deserves, and let him know his time was appreciated. It is apparent that Max will not play. The whole hamstring injury was false - just to stop the press asking questions. He was sent for a scan when the game was on, Sunday 2 weeks ago to stop him being at the game and noticeably looking fit. Who goes for a scan on a Sunday?
He is the heart of the team. The saints have little chance finding that "Team" spirit with out him. Richo, Fev and the press have all said they are crazy not to play him - I agree.
So we will watch a great player, person and club life member walk away hurt, resenting the club and wondering why he played on for the coach who begged him to stay - only to loose everything. Max is great, give him the send off his 13 years and 234 games deserves!
Last edited by 12345 on Thu 03 Sep 2009 9:05am, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Has he been dropped for all finals already?

yep! apparently
Last edited by 12345 on Thu 03 Sep 2009 8:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And you know this as a fact?

How?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

12345 wrote:yep! apparently
Early call considering we play at least 2 games and we could play poorly or get injuries. Me thinks you wouldnt have a clue.

Anyway, you can all talk it out. I respect your forum, just joined to post the comment and I thought I should put the post up because Max has always carried himself with dignity and doesn't deserve the treatment he is receiving. You don't dedicate 13 years of your life to a team to walk away like that!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

12345 wrote:Anyway, you can all talk it out. I respect your forum, just joined to post the comment and I thought I should put the post up because Max has always carried himself with dignity and doesn't deserve the treatment he is receiving. You don't dedicate 13 years of your life to a team to walk away like that!
Thanks for the gratuitous advice.

You sure you haven't got any other comments you'd like to start a thread over so that we can all discuss them?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

12345 wrote:Anyway, you can all talk it out. I respect your forum, just joined to post the comment and I thought I should put the post up because Max has always carried himself with dignity and doesn't deserve the treatment he is receiving. You don't dedicate 13 years of your life to a team to walk away like that!
i'd be surprised if max felt the same way, for exactly the reasons you suggest. he's a great servant of the club, and so he knows that you get selected when the selection committee decides, and that they don't decide on sentiment but on trying to win games. he might disagree with their decision, but he knows that it's their decision to make, and he'll accept it with dignity.

Thomas
Club Player

I love Max as a player , love his intensity and loyalty, but in all fairness this is about St Kilda winning the flag, and none of us know better than Ross Lyon what is needed to achieve that goal.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

Thomas wrote:I love Max as a player , love his intensity and loyalty, but in all fairness this is about St Kilda winning the flag, and none of us know better than Ross Lyon what is needed to achieve that goal.
Totally agree Thomas.

For way too long this Club has focused on INDIVIDUALS rather than the TEAM.

Old saying that there's no sentiment in footy - it's time we embraced the saying. If Maxy doesn't crack it for a spot and we end up winning the Flag then that's just bad luck. I am sure the Club will honour his achievements down the track.

Tough calls need to be made in terms of selection - that's part of the reason why our coach gets paid the $$ to make them.

I have total confidence that Ross will earn his money over the next 4 weeks.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey wrote:
Thomas wrote:I love Max as a player , love his intensity and loyalty, but in all fairness this is about St Kilda winning the flag, and none of us know better than Ross Lyon what is needed to achieve that goal.
Totally agree Thomas.

For way too long this Club has focused on INDIVIDUALS rather than the TEAM.

Old saying that there's no sentiment in footy - it's time we embraced the saying. If Maxy doesn't crack it for a spot and we end up winning the Flag then that's just bad luck. I am sure the Club will honour his achievements down the track.

Tough calls need to be made in terms of selection - that's part of the reason why our coach gets paid the $$ to make them.

I have total confidence that Ross will earn his money over the next 4 weeks.
must say this is what went through my mind watching melbourne in that last quarter, it was all about the retiring players. We used to be that club, now we want more

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

This is no time ot get sentimental. We'd all love Max to be in the team. We'd all love Goose to play his 100th game. But is it in the best interest of the team.
A couple of years ago everyone thought Brett Voss should have been getting a game. Who's worried about that know? Nobody would like Max in the team more than be but tough decisions have to be made and if it wins us a flag then I'm all for it.
I remember speaking to a Saints supporter a few years ago who was in his mid 80's and he said the Saints had always had champion players but never had a champion team. It's not about picking the best 22 players. It's about picking the 22 that are going to do the job.

super dooper
Club Player

remboy wrote:This is no time ot get sentimental. We'd all love Max to be in the team. We'd all love Goose to play his 100th game. But is it in the best interest of the team.
A couple of years ago everyone thought Brett Voss should have been getting a game. Who's worried about that know? Nobody would like Max in the team more than be but tough decisions have to be made and if it wins us a flag then I'm all for it.
I remember speaking to a Saints supporter a few years ago who was in his mid 80's and he said the Saints had always had champion players but never had a champion team. It's not about picking the best 22 players. It's about picking the 22 that are going to do the job.
coudn't agree more

personally 1 do not care who the 22 who go out on the field, as long as they get the job done!

Go Saints

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Max is a freakin legend. Heart and soul of the club since 1997 imo.

As much as I would love to see him play in a Premiership side, I would love to just win the premiership more.

He is still in the mix. Three wins to go. Anything can happen.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
older saint
SS Life Member

super dooper wrote:
remboy wrote:This is no time ot get sentimental. We'd all love Max to be in the team. We'd all love Goose to play his 100th game. But is it in the best interest of the team.
coudn't agree more

personally 1 do not care who the 22 who go out on the field, as long as they get the job done!

Go Saints
Agree 100%. Best 22 players to win a premiership whether they have played 13 years or 13 games.
Given the choice - play Max in a GF and Lose, not play him and win ( not saying this will happen) but given the choice it is obvious

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Tell me 12345, why did Maxy train with the senior group yesterday - may mean he is in the mix or there for his usual inspiration to the playing group.
Whilst I agree that Maxy has been a passionate Saint for 13 years and highly respected by everyone, at the age of 33 years, my concern now is that he is a high soft tissue injury risk - calves and hammys.
Just imagine if he plays fullback this Sunday and once again does a hammy in the first quarter, we will be behind "the eight ball". Dawson wouldn't be there to replace him as I think the selectors would look at one or the other, not both in the team.
Sadly because of the injury risk with Maxy, I think he may have played his last senior game.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'd love nothing more than for Max to play.

But his wouldn't be the first Club legend's heart to be broken in the quest for a second St Kilda flag... if he is destined not to play, then hopefully it will at least be the very last.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

For years and years we have been a club that worshiped individuals, Plugger, Harves, Cuz, Barks, etc... BUT we have also been the most unsuccessful team in the history of the game. Its a TEAM game, I dont give a stuff who wins the brownlow, MVP, rising star, or any other individual accolade, all I want is to see the boys standing on the dais, red, white and black confetti pouring down on them, holding the cup up!!!! If Max (or any other player) is deemed good enough to be a part of it all well and good, if he's not, then bad luck.

spert
Saintsational Legend

TEAM is the word, and as much as I would love Max to feature in the finals, RL will only pick a team to win, reputations aside. I don't think Max has regained the form of past years due to a series of soft-tissue injuries.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I am a big Max fan and would like to see him go out in style, but not at the cost of a flag, and I reckon he would feel the same way

You say he should be sent off like the melbourne players were, now what were Melbourne playing for last week?. Nothing, we are preparing for finals, big difference.

You say you just want a discussion, well you are really a tool

I love this club
Milton66
SS Life Member

All of the above.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Would love Max to be in (but the mind/heart sees the Max of previous times)

BUT

if the selection committee think otherwise so be it.

saint4life
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It's a fascinating debate this one.

Only 3 years ago, the St Kilda faithful wanted to strung Grant Thomas up for suggesting that Robert Harvey needed to convince the club that he should play on.

Now, it seems the club 'culture' (as much as I loathe that word and the concept of it) has matured to a point where emotion and romance is taking second place behind sense and professional decision making.

Where this debate becomes interesting though, is that alot of people cannot fathom that Eddy, Gwilt, Dawson etc. could possibly get a game ahead of Max and Luke Ball. Based purely on ability and value ot the team, not emotion.

This is where it's interesting. Lyon clearly has his favourites, it's just that his favourites are different to the favourites of the Saints faithful.

This could well be one of those football decisions that either makes a coach a genius, or ruins their career.

And in alot of these situations, the result on the day overshadows the actual merit of the decision they make.

Meaning, if we lose there is no doubt that Lyon will be criticised for not playing Max and/or Ball - regardless of if in reality they would have made the difference.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What did Lyon say (with the aid of some poetic licence!) - "F*** Sentiment!"

Yes, we all love Max - but heck, we all loved Harvs also and he went...but if we won the flag without either of them, I couldn't care less!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We should wait and see who plays before making judgements.