Pies game plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Pies game plan

Usually involves patience and boundary line hugging.

Generally speaking the teams who've looked most dangerous against us are the ones who attack us up the middle and take a risk or two.

Will the Dirty Birds have a Plan B?

Will they spring a surprise or two?

As it stands, I think their preferecne for the sanctuary of the perimeter plays into a disciplined zone's hands to an exent. We squeeze and squeeze and squeeze, they force a ball inside, we force a turnover in a contested situation and bang-bang-bang Kosi, Roo et all have a shot on goal (in an ideal world of course).

What do you think? How will this one pan out?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Young Georgie
Club Player

While the effort and intensity wasn't there on Sunday, the Saints struggled with the Demons going wide at every opportunity.

As opposed to the chip and run the boundary plan employed by the Pies, the Dees zig zagged more in defence/half back and the Saints zone struggled to keep up on the wide, open MCG wings when the Dees finally found some space and failed to hold their tackles. The Dees kicked long into their forward line and Jurrah was given opportunity to create.

Our forward line IMO will have to work much harder on the MCG to keep the pressure up and keep the ball in or our mids and defence will be doing a lot more running than usual.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It really is about creating that second guess pause situation when they are in possession in our forward fifty isn't it. If we can control the tempo of their ball out of the back half, we seem to control the game.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Young Georgie
Club Player

I think we had problems with what appears to be extra space on the pockets/flanks/wings of the MCG and the zone seemed to have a few holes in it. Not sure if that was the effort/intensity of the Saints or the available space not being covered. When the ball zig zagged the Saints drifted from side to side then were caught out. Increased forward pressure is essential to slow or shut this down.

This approach plus the Bombers/Roos direct charge through the zone have delivered success but I'd be surprised if the Pies did anything more than stick to the boundary perhaps with more chopping and changing sides in defence if given the opportunityas that's pretty much what they've done all year.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I think we will be much more physical, and will put a lot more pressure on them coming out of defence, if we can do that it will make there use of hugging the boundary line usless as at some point they will makeerrors, as most teams have done all year (accept these last 3 weeks.)

Dirty birds :D

I love this club
spert
Saintsational Legend

The Pies will have problems with our tall forward line.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

malthouse:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 65544.html

''That's the bonus of it - we now can dissect it, and have 30-plus players to pick from. And that will take place, I can categorically tell you. It may be the same 22 that run down the race, but it won't be because we are locked in to 22 players.

''It's not confusing, it is simply getting it right. It may not be one change, but it could be four changes, five changes.''

:?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:malthouse:

''That's the bonus of it - we now can dissect it, and have 30-plus players to pick from. And that will take place, I can categorically tell you. It may be the same 22 that run down the race, but it won't be because we are locked in to 22 players.

''It's not confusing, it is simply getting it right. It may not be one change, but it could be four changes, five changes.''

Reminds me of the job interview scene from Trainspotting - 'people's leisure is my pleasure' - if you've seen it you'll know what I mean.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the one with spuds interview
peaking....

lol

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:the one with spuds interview
peaking....

lol
That's the one!

In fact here it is:

God bless You Tube.

Bloody funny.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gotta hand it to spud...

He **** up good and proper.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
the sheets scene in the kitchen

bahahahahahah

anyhooo
back on topic :shock:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I mean articulate Mighty Mick's quote with a Glaswegian lilt and you've got yourself a chunk of TS script I reckon...

Believe me. I just tried. :D

Milton66
SS Life Member

Actually, their return to form has resulted from a change in game plan whereby they have used the corridor more often. Whether or not they can do this against us is another matter.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:malthouse:

Now what a brilliant movie that is, an absolute cult masterpiece!

Reminds me of the job interview scene from Trainspotting - 'people's leisure is my pleasure' - if you've seen it you'll know what I mean.

The Saints are coming!
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

The boys at Wobblewood have a Plan B - it works this way any sign that they are in trouble, A.Dimwit calls A.Anderscum and tells him to fix this. A Anderscum call the Geish and says fix this. Geish calls the Umpiring adviser on the match and instructs him to fix this. He proceeds to tell the field umpires this needs to be fixed and wah- la they get 2 50m penalties given to them to put them in front of goal, 2 free kicks for who knows what in the forward 50 and 4 free kicks in their back-line against Milne and Schniderman to prevent us from kicking a goal. Assisting them to win and making for a happy little A.Dimwit and A.Anderscum as they pocket the cash of having the pies play deep into September. (this theory in no way indicates that the Nazi regime that run the AFL are corrupt) ;)

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:The boys at Wobblewood have a Plan B - it works this way any sign that they are in trouble, A.Dimwit calls A.Anderscum and tells him to fix this. A Anderscum call the Geish and says fix this. Geish calls the Umpiring adviser on the match and instructs him to fix this. He proceeds to tell the field umpires this needs to be fixed and wah- la they get 2 50m penalties given to them to put them in front of goal, 2 free kicks for who knows what in the forward 50 and 4 free kicks in their back-line against Milne and Schniderman to prevent us from kicking a goal. Assisting them to win and making for a happy little A.Dimwit and A.Anderscum as they pocket the cash of having the pies play deep into September. (this theory in no way indicates that the Nazi regime that run the AFL are corrupt) ;)
hEAVY BUT :lol:

I love this club