Dempster watch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dempster watch

For u guys watching the game plz tell me what Dempster's doing out there. I'm not a huge Sean fan by any means I'm struggling with the idea that he's playing ahead of Geary and Armitage (not to mention Ball and Max but they're different possies and I reckon they'll come back in)

How is Sean being used?
How's he playing?
Is he worth his spot?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yeah LYON has lost the plot late in the year!

This is no way DEMPSTER derserves a spot int he side in front of ARMITAGE and GEARY - let alone BALL & HUDGTON.

Be careful LYON leaving out players who are loved by the team mates does upset the balance and well being of teams and causes the negative affect to what you are trying to acheive!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
backit
Club Player

Dempster did a couple of good things, found position a few times, took a couple of marks and kicked well to leading forwards however he is not hard at the ball and an in and under player like we will need come September which is what Ball and Geary are.

Will be interesting week at training and at the selection table.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

couldn't agree more...have no idea what he is doing out there

#1 Ryder fan
St Fid Jnr
Club Player

Re: Dempster watch

skeptic wrote:For u guys watching the game plz tell me what Dempster's doing out there. I'm not a huge Sean fan by any means I'm struggling with the idea that he's playing ahead of Geary and Armitage (not to mention Ball and Max but they're different possies and I reckon they'll come back in)

How is Sean being used?
How's he playing?
Is he worth his spot?
hey Mr skeptic how come you are using my avatar?

Mr AOK made that for me and if you look at the properties of the avatar it clearly states fidJnr.jpg

SAINTSATIONAL - ONE TEAM - ONE DREAM - ONE THEME

No Fighting Please - and Be Happy
ImageImage
ThomasR
Club Player

what I would like to see:
out: Dempster, Eddy, King, Dawson
in: Geary, Ball, Gardiner, Hudghton

what we will probably see:
out: McEvoy
in: Gardiner

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:what I would like to see:
out: Dempster, Eddy, King, Dawson
in: Geary, Ball, Gardiner, Hudghton

what we will probably see:
out: McEvoy
in: Gardiner
reckon that ball is a in this week. how many weeks can he get BOG in the ressies and not be included, think we need the in and under stuff that bally gives/.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dempster watch

St Fid Jnr wrote:
skeptic wrote:For u guys watching the game plz tell me what Dempster's doing out there. I'm not a huge Sean fan by any means I'm struggling with the idea that he's playing ahead of Geary and Armitage (not to mention Ball and Max but they're different possies and I reckon they'll come back in)

How is Sean being used?
How's he playing?
Is he worth his spot?
hey Mr skeptic how come you are using my avatar?

Mr AOK made that for me and if you look at the properties of the avatar it clearly states fidJnr.jpg
its an honest mistake

i'll change it next time i'm on

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

ok no worries :D

Edit.

Why dont you ask Mr AOK for a special avatar for yourself?

He is really a nice person

SAINTSATIONAL - ONE TEAM - ONE DREAM - ONE THEME

No Fighting Please - and Be Happy
ImageImage
battye
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Dempster will be dropped. He is doing his role, whatever role that might be. If he wasn't doing what Lyon wanted him to do, he wouldn't be in the team.

I don't think he is playing all that badly, although for a guy spending a lot of time in the forward half he isn't damaging on the scoreboard (exactly like Gwilt).

I believe the automatic omission at the moment is Eddy, and probably McEvoy if Gardiner is right to play.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SaintHomer
Club Player

im not one to question the coach (check all of my previous posts if you disagree), but i've got a few beers under the belt and i do have to question dempster's inclusion ahead of the likes of ball and geary. both ball and geary were a big part of the reason we went 19-0

i just hope thats lyons faith in a premiership player from a previous side doesnt bling his decisions.

lyon obviously has an allience with schneider and dempster, and while schneider has more than justified his part in the side, dempster appears to have been give many chances that ball/geary have not.

i hope lyon proves me wrong. i just want this SO bad (like all of you)
Last edited by SaintHomer on Sun 30 Aug 2009 8:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlpineStars
Club Player

Not in our best 22 imo, Came back from injury to Sandy for a couple of weeks didn't star, other blokes are being made to work their ass's off for a game. I think he has been given a bit of a free ride. Just my opinion Geary, Ball and Armo all in front of him.

Wake me up when September ends.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AlpineStars wrote:Not in our best 22 imo, Came back from injury to Sandy for a couple of weeks didn't star, other blokes are being made to work their ass's off for a game. I think he has been given a bit of a free ride. Just my opinion Geary, Ball and Armo all in front of him.
Well he is going to play next week. There will be change or at the most 2. Ball in for Eddy and maybe Max for Zac but doubt that one.

SaintHomer
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
AlpineStars wrote:Not in our best 22 imo, Came back from injury to Sandy for a couple of weeks didn't star, other blokes are being made to work their ass's off for a game. I think he has been given a bit of a free ride. Just my opinion Geary, Ball and Armo all in front of him.
Well he is going to play next week. There will be change or at the most 2. Ball in for Eddy and maybe Max for Zac but doubt that one.
surely a fit gardiner has to come in

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

How about Gardiner for King if fit? I am not sure with Ben offering more around the ground and contests, and King the better tap ruckman...

These are the 3 big calls to be made for mine:

- Ball or Eddy?
- which 2 rucks of the 3 options?
- Max or Zac?

Just can't see Ross dropping Dempster, he obviously likes something about him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
surely a fit gardiner has to come in
Yep forgot him.

SaintHomer
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
Just can't see Ross dropping Dempster, he obviously likes something about him.
yeah, that's the whole point of my post above. bit nervous about that (but happy if proven wrong)

Batnoe

I dont mind Dempster, he does his job... Very hard man and is very fit

However is he in our best 22?

well when you say Ball, Max, Armo, Gardiner are all out, then he may not be...

I would drop Eddy and Dempster, Zac and McEvoy for the above 4 to come in if they are ready

We really miss Ball's hardness and tackling
Gardiner is the number 1 ruckmen
Max is better than Zac- Zac is good on the shepard for his team mate and i think if he wasnt playing on someone 10cm shorter than him could have been a different story

and then it is a toss up with Armo and dempster- who do you choose? Armo had 40 touches in the ressies and week before had 13 tackles and over 20 touches, he has averaged 7 tackles this year in his 3 games and when our whole team only gets 42, we need Ball and Armo in there working with Hayes, Schneider, Jones MCQ as our major tacklers
If Dempster got 15 touches a game i would keep him, but he hasnt quite done that, however he wasnt too bad today in all opionin

OUr major problem today was the fact that our mids could not deliver the ball to our forwards most of the time.

We had 12 inside 50's to 2 goals 1 at one stage.. we know our forwards are working and without Lenny's pin point passes we are screwed

Gram is good if he bombs it long to a 50/50 contest but kicking to someone on the lead is always a bit iffy

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dempter is not yet back to his pre-injury form.

He had done some good tagging.

Today he was quiet...and a bit like Gwilt what he does look ok, but he just did nor do enough.

IMO he is no longer a "lock",...but certianly is in the mix.

Playing the Pies next week may work in his favour with their large number of smaller forwards as well as mids. Dempster and Eddy are possible outs.

Ball, Armo and Geary are possible ins...as is Gwilt if swapped with Dempter as a HF role.

Zac swapped for Max is another line ball decision. With the Pies forward structure Max verstaility against small like Medhurst could swing it his way.

Ben for Gardi.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
elvis lives
Club Player

dempster is clearly one of lyon's favourites. no doubt if you were drafted after ross joined the club you are a step ahead of those inherited. I don't imagine he would be dropped any time soon, regardless f how he or others play. His disposal leaves a lot to be desired.

I am marching in the Saints army
avid
Club Player

Dempster did a couple of good things today, but generally he just runs around playing defensive netball.

(Maybe that's his 'role', but can't see how that would fit the team plan.)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I must admit I have no real idea where this guy fits into the side.

R15 7 k/6 hb = 9 disp, 4 m, 6 tck, 0.1
R16 11 k/6 hb = 17 disp, 7 m, 1 tck, 4 i50
R17 4 k/4 hb = 8 disp, 3 m, 1 tck, 1 i50, 1 assist, 1.1
R18 4 k/2 hb = 6 disp, 2 m, 3 tck, 2 i50
R19 6 k/6 hb = 12 disp, 3 m, 6 tck, 2 i50
R20 5 k/3 hb = 8 disp, 5 m, 5 tck, 1 i50, 0.1
R21 9 k/9 hb = 18 disp, 8 m, 3 tck, 2 i50
R22 7 k/4 hb = 11 disp, 4 m, 1 tck, 4 i50, 1.0

AVG 6.6 k/5.0 b = 11.6 disp, 4.5 m, 3.2 tck, 2.0 i50, 0.1 assist, 0.2 g, 0.4 b

His numbers are really not very impressive. He's ranked 23rd out of 27 in disposals, 12th in tackles, 16th in marks, 15th in inside 50s. He's played forward a little, though not all the time, and kicked 2.3.

So I assume that he must have special tagging jobs that I don't notice and that he does them pretty well? But I can't actually name one of those defensive jobs.

I would assume that if he plays this week he'd get a job on someone like a Didak or Thomas or Swan or Shaw. Probably not Pendlebury or Davis because they're too quick for him.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Totally agree with that one. It's like he's Ross' love child. I think he's in our side until he retires, or Ross retires. He'll be 38 and getting a game, despite not touching the ball once.
It's almost as if when they drafted him, it was put in his contract that he had to play every game, when fit. I think Ross thinks he's Brendan Goddard, Mark 2.
If he plays finals ahead of Max and Ball it will be disgraceful.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Mon 31 Aug 2009 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

He is a Ross fav for sure. I would prefer Geary in for him.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Dempster,Eddy,Baker,Jones, McQualter in the one side.
Far too many negators to be running around having little impact with the ball. If all 5 play next week we will get beat

Dempster and Eddy have to go.
In Ball and Geary

If it doesn't happen and we fall,Lyon will have a lot of questions to answer.

If it works and we win,Rossco can come here and say F you jonesy,I told you,but on current form,this isnt going to happen

Bring back the Lockett era