Do the rules permit us to rookie Mark Coughlan in 2010??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Do the rules permit us to rookie Mark Coughlan in 2010??

If so... we should... why?

1) The guy is only going to get better and better
2) His character is beyond reproach... a top-shelf human being
3) Just imagine... he runs around for Sandy next year for the first 6-8 weeks after a full pre-season, gathering a lazy 40 possy's and building confidence..... bang... one of our prime mids go down with a long term injury (let's face it, odds are, you will lose someone for the long term between March --> Round 8)....... what a wonderful top-up/depth player to call on who could be a massive compliment to Hayes / Ball / Montagna at co....

If not..... then
1) The rules need to be changed so he can be
2) A player who has a single-dream... has given 110% for his career under really tough circumstances (tougher than 99% of players experience)... must be given a reasonable opportunity to rebuild
3) perhaps we should draft him a-la Kingy at Pick 90 or thereabouts

Suffice to say... I have a high opinion of the young man... he very un-Richmond

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

he's 27 years old he cant be rookie d can he?

thehandbrake
Club Player

Have you been drinking?

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Handbrake....

He was claerly in the top 2 Tigers on the ground tonight..

He won a B&F for Richmond at a very young age, and was clearly the next captain until his horrible run with Injury

What's my drinking got to do with the price of fish??

Batnoe

My prediction is there will be a lot more trades and delistings this year so we can probably pick up someone better than him

Robertson, Nathan Brown, Daniel Harris Tim Notting, players that wont be offered another deal as they are trying to get games into the kids, we may be able to use one

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

The Fact that we cannot rookie pick him because he is 27....

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

In terms of long-term value, I would rate him ahead of Nathan Brown, Robbo, and Daniel Harris.

You have plucked a good specy pick in Notting though!!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

UM...serious?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do the rules permit us to rookie Mark Coughlan in 2010??

Seaford_Saint wrote:
If not..... then
1) The rules need to be changed so he can be

Why the rookie draft was a away to bring in more youths into the system and allow them two years to mature. If he is worth taking he is worth taking as draft pick.

The guy has had 2 years now of minimal injuries if he hasn't got it now he wont have next year, not matter how nice of a guy he is.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

if he was available at our last or second last draft pick, i'd pbly take him ONLY because it's said to be a very shallow draft

pluggernaut
Club Player

you're right - he was in the best two for the tigers tonight. unfortunately, the guy in the tiger mascot was voted third best. do we pick him after coughlan if he is available??

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do the rules permit us to rookie Mark Coughlan in 2010??

Seaford_Saint wrote:If so... we should... why?
i don't reckon it's the worst idea, but it might not quite fit for us.

he got 16 brownlow votes in 03 and 10 in 05, so he was obviously decent once. pretty hardworking and averaged 4+ tackles and 22+ disposals those years. then was in poor form in 06 when he broke down and didn't play for two whole years. only nine games of senior footy since then and he hasn't been much chop, but i'd expect significant improvement when fully fit?

the downside is his age, of course. he'll turn 28 not long into next season. but he actually fits into our list pretty well there - there's only one player born between march 81 and september 82 and that's sam fisher, so slotting coughlan in between blake and s fisher, a little older than roo and kosi, wouldn't be the end of the world.

and given that injuries have kept the load down on him, if his body holds up you'd hope he could probably play to 32 without too many problems.

so the real question is - will he ever be fully fit again? if that's the case, i'd think we should look at him. teams like collingwood or north will probably do so as well, or more probably freo or west coast.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So if he is so valuable why are the Tigers getting rid of him?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:So if he is so valuable why are the Tigers getting rid of him?
Salary cap restrictions so they can hold on to Jake King :wink:

reincarnated

joffaboy wrote:So if he is so valuable why are the Tigers getting rid of him?
Reincarnated notices that the Tigers need a massive cleanout of anyone and everything and some decent players may get the chop also

It's a joke that Cousins and Coughlan after all their problems/injuries were their best two players last night

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Some are talking as many as 13 will be chopped/retired....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote: He was claerly in the top 2 Tigers on the ground tonight..

?
How clearly?

I did not see the game but just had a look at the stats (which admittedly are not the be all to end all) which had him with only 13 possessions.

Deledio, Cousins, Tuck all has twice as much ball.

Indeed a dozen of his team-mates has more possessions.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Seaford_Saint wrote: He was claerly in the top 2 Tigers on the ground tonight..

?
How clearly?

I did not see the game but just had a look at the stats (which admittedly are not the be all to end all) which had him with only 13 possessions.

Deledio, Cousins, Tuck all has twice as much ball.

Indeed a dozen of his team-mates has more possessions.
Lets be honest, number of possesions has never mattered as little as this year....he was one of the better tigers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yes I agree lets get Coughlan and Robbo. While we are at it Lets get Bazza back, see if the Tigers still want Ben and if Wells Icke is still alive see if we can get him to. What do people smoke these days

claystreet
Club Player

I am with you plugger make mine Maui Wowy :shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yes I agree lets get Coughlan and Robbo. While we are at it Lets get Bazza back, see if the Tigers still want Ben and if Wells Icke is still alive see if we can get him to. What do people smoke these days
I was simply stating that he was one of their better players last night. I see no reason why we cannot take advantage of the fact that alot of clubs in rebuilding phases may heavily prune some players, that could potentially be a good prospect for our club while we dwell around the top of the ladder for a couple of seasons....

claystreet
Club Player

There will be better players in the draft than him come pick time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yes I agree lets get Coughlan and Robbo. While we are at it Lets get Bazza back, see if the Tigers still want Ben and if Wells Icke is still alive see if we can get him to. What do people smoke these days
I was simply stating that he was one of their better players last night. I see no reason why we cannot take advantage of the fact that alot of clubs in rebuilding phases may heavily prune some players, that could potentially be a good prospect for our club while we dwell around the top of the ladder for a couple of seasons....
If you keep getting older players and you dont win the flag you eventually fall apart. You have got to give the younger players a go. Our time is now not next year with slow under performing hacks.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
If you keep getting older players and you dont win the flag you eventually fall apart. You have got to give the younger players a go. Our time is now not next year with slow under performing hacks.
Well, I fail to see where anyone said to load the list up with "hacks" unless I missed something. We have got the balance right this year between youth and trading, why not again next year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Well, I fail to see where anyone said to load the list up with "hacks" unless I missed something. We have got the balance right this year between youth and trading, why not again next year?
We have traded for older ruckmen because we didnt have any but when have we traded for 27 year olds who play very slow football in the midfield. If we want to get a player who will have a real impact next season ans who is available then the first choice would have to be Hally. By far and away the best player without a club. My suggestion is we dont get anyone out of all the guys without club but we certainly dont get a slow midfielder who has struggled to get a game in the last 10 weeks.