Long term survival of the Saints...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

Long term survival of the Saints...

I had a strange idea this morning... It will seem crazy to most, but read on and think about it:

There have been numerous threads about our long term survival and membership numbers etc.

So here's my solution...

If you have kids, it is absolutely vital that you indoctrinate (brainwash) them into the world of Red White and Black from the day they are born.

This means buying them Saints clothes etc, and taking lots of photos and placing them strategically around the home.

For the first 3 years, they must remain ignorant that other teams exist, so they only know and love the mighty Saints.. like a 2nd language.

Teach them to hate Colliingwood, Essendon and Carlton from the minute they start talking.

Threaten to put them up for adoption if they decide to follow another team.

Turn down the volume when they watch the Wiggles and turn up the club song on the stereo.

It is incumbent on parents to do this to ensure we have provide an ongoing inter-generational supply of mad Saints supporters and members.

In much the same way that Howard's Work Choices was idealogically a weapon to eliminate Unions, and therefore eliminate the Labor Party by reducing it's main source of financial support, we as Saints parents must do likewise to ensure that our precious bundles of joy do not defect, and therefore provide finacial support to our football enemies.

Like I said, it's crazy, but you know it makes sense.

To paraphrase Peter Costello...

One for mum, one for dad, and one for the Mighty Sainters!!

Sow in the spring so that our great club will reap in the winters to come!

PS: If you don't have kids, but have young and impressionably neices, nephews or cousins, buy them Saints merchandise from day 1.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
linz
Club Player

Why stop there.

I reckon the club should post out mini Saints scarves to every new-born in

Australia. If nothing else it helps keep the bub warm and gives our Saints

Granny sewing supporters a sense of self-worth. Maybe the club could

supply the wool.

Even if we ping 1 supporter in a 100 it'd be worth it.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Love all the above suggestions but another method would be to just win a bloody flag....a whole generation of sainters will jump on board and us old buggers could die happy :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintDal
Club Player

It's going to be hard living in Perth but I suppose my son being born in a premiership year would help :)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

On it 8-)

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Good idea Milton - and that's exactly the way my brother and I were brought up.
My nephews have both had Saints booties, beanies, scarves, posters, DVD's, jumpers and even Saints blankets from before they could walk and one of them is a mad Saint.

The other one - he goes off to primary school and comes home and anounces that he's a Bulldogs fan. What to do.

linz
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Good idea Milton - and that's exactly the way my brother and I were brought up.
My nephews have both had Saints booties, beanies, scarves, posters, DVD's, jumpers and even Saints blankets from before they could walk and one of them is a mad Saint.

The other one - he goes off to primary school and comes home and anounces that he's a Bulldogs fan. What to do.
Let him sleep in the dog kennel with a Saints blanket.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Good idea Milton - and that's exactly the way my brother and I were brought up.

No christmas and birthday presents for the Bulldog's fan unless he mends his ways.
Children soon learn where their bread is buttered.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

No christmas and birthday presents for the Bulldog's fan unless he mends his ways.
Children soon learn where their bread is buttered.

At least it's not the scum or the filth.
He's currently leaning back towards the Saints due to their success this year and the kids at school currently loving our boys. Don't like his flip flopping but if we can steer him back to the Saints I'll take it. He's only 6.
The other one is so mad about the Saints that he learned to use a sewing machine in craft classes just so he could sew himself a Saints strip. He's got the tri colour, the candy stripe and the away strip but he thought he'd do his own. Love it. The kid is absolutely nuts about the Saints.

widereceiver
Club Player

I made a commercial decision. When I'd saved enough for my first jumper I was following Fitzroy, but my Dad had been taking me to the Saints games and I'd been brainwashed by watching Eric Guy and Verdun Howell. I told my Dad I'd buy a Saints jumper if he bought the socks. They arrived from Melbourne Sports Depot the next Monday.

In some respects they are the most expensive socks I ever owned.

With my own children, I said they could follow any team they liked. If it wasn't to be the Saints, I offered to help them pack and a lift to Flinders Street.

That works :wink:

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Solar
Saintsational Legend

will have an extra membership by the end of the year ith the g/f and the nephew is a saint already and is not 3 :D

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

sorry cant help
no kids and only two relatives (who dont care for footy)
membership in my family dies when i do

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:sorry cant help
no kids and only two relatives (who dont care for footy)
membership in my family dies when i do
start breeding (you'll need general consent)

Ive adopted lines at pubs like "wanna have saints kids love?"

No success to date.

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

no thanks
i have no desire to bring a child into this f***ed up world :?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:no thanks
Not even to help the Saints cause? :wink:

I have 2 kids, both of whom are Sainters. Saved one from being a Collingwood supporter so I feel I've done my bit. :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Depends how you look at things. I would think 90% of my world is great and the only 10% that is bad is when a sporting side I follow loses.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

'Twas simple with Sainter_Boy - I told him that he could support any team he chose - but I would only be buying him Saints merchandise and footy cards - Its the footy cards that get them in. He has the full set of Sainters from Team Coach, common, silver, gold, prize, B&F, Captains, STar and Magic from 2006 until now.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Milton, my wife wants to meet you.
She'd like to belt you for putting 'big ideas' in my head.

She didn't get much sleep last night because of my continual desire to 'sow seeds on behalf of the mighty Saints!' :)

Darrel Baldock
Club Player

Milton,
When plugger was in the throes of leaving the Saints my five year old son heard that he might be going to Collingwood and if he did he he(my son) declared he was going to barrack for the filth. I said that would be fine but where was he going to live?
Your method works. Making the 1997 GF helped. Making the 2009 GF will probably help decide it for the current vaccilators.

Ian Cooper was too thin
BakesFan
SS Life Member

My two were brainwashed from birth... so much so that even though they're born and bred QLDers; they have zero interest in the 'bum-sniffer' codes of NRL and ARU.

When we lived on the Gold Coast our closet junior AFL team was the 'Coomera Magpies' (2km's from home)... but I drove an extra 40km's each week so my boy could play for the 'Mudgeerabba Saints'. There was no way a son of mine was gonna wear Filth colours!

Before Mrs BF and I got married I told her I couldn't spend my life with a Carlscum supporter, so she happily converted to The Mighty Saints (it was the '87 game against the Blues at Moorabbin that finally won her over)

GO SAINTS!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
mick13
Club Player

Lol true, friends have a lot more power than parents in this regard.

Don't be too unhappy, you wouldn't have me if it weren't for my Saints mate in prep!

But be happy it's the Dogs. Just about the only bareable side, apart from maybe Melbourne or North. As long as it's one of those you're alright.

Disown them if it's one of CCE. Richmond, Geelong or Hawthorn...only feed them once a week.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Depends how you look at things. I would think 90% of my world is great and the only 10% that is bad is when a sporting side I follow loses.
i look at things like
education
and
inoculations
and say...........Pass

but if i had kids and one of them even mentioned the word collingwood in the house then he/she better get used to sharing the dogs kennel
:P 8-)

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

All your ideas a brilliant and should be passed into law

When my daughter started to show an interst in the dogs as a 5 yr old, she was bannned from eating, well not quite. But I managed to turn her around by banning all non saints stuff and taking her to a few games. This was in 97?98 when we one a few.

While I dont want us to go down the hawthorn track of signing up every cat dog in a family, we should look at soem of these cheaper memberships , say for 5 games abd stuuf like that.

I think a flag will go along way to securing our future.

I love this club
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

[quote="mick13]

Don't be too unhappy, you wouldn't have me if it weren't for my Saints mate in prep!

But be happy it's the Dogs. Just about the only bareable side, apart from maybe Melbourne or North. As long as it's one of those you're alright.

Disown them if it's one of CCE. Richmond, Geelong or Hawthorn...only feed them once a week.[/quote]

It's hard to hate the Bullies I agree. If the Saints don't win it, I hope the Bulies do. The young fella is showing signs of becoming a loyal Saint. He's worn his older brother's jumper to games in the past month. I reckon a flag this year will lock him in.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:[quote="mick13]

Disown them if it's one of CCE. Richmond, Geelong or Hawthorn...only feed them once a week.
It's hard to hate the Bullies I agree. If the Saints don't win it, I hope the Bulies do. The young fella is showing signs of becoming a loyal Saint. He's worn his older brother's jumper to games in the past month. I reckon a flag this year will lock him in.[/quote][/quote]

:lol:

I was able to turn my daughter away from any other evil teams.

If your child (no matter age) decides on another team, then it depends on who they are as to what degree you disown them. For example if its anone pother then maybe the dogs, or demons they shoudl still be fed 3 meals a day. Anyone elso it should be bread and water once a day tan they sleep in the dog kennell

I love this club