Nick Riewoldt was a 50-50 chance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt was a 50-50 chance

Players across the league have threaded only 47 per cent of set shots from the same zone this season.

The AFL's official statistician Champion Data yesterday revealed players have kicked 132.152 from the 40m-50m range on the right flank. but talk about Riewoldt's kicking style lingers despite his total of 59.39 this year.

Not that bad

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Another opportunity awaits!
TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

Yeah but according to "experts" on here he should he kicked it - more importantly as Captain he should have.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Good to see Champion Data and goalkicking greats such as Quinlan and BT acknowledge that it's not always easy from that particular area.

Superboot
SS Life Member

It was the type of opportunity that Gehrig used to slot though more often than not (but then wasn't he left footed?), but it's hard to think of anyone who would be any better than a 60% chance from that distance and angle.

Schneider might have been a chance, as he drills them low, and Milne might have done a banana, but after them who would have done better than Roo?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:It was the type of opportunity that Gehrig used to slot though more often than not (but then wasn't he left footed?), but it's hard to think of anyone who would be any better than a 60% chance from that distance and angle.

Schneider might have been a chance, as he drills them low, and Milne might have done a banana, but after them who would have done better than Roo?
Probably Kosi. Kicking beautifully straight.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Superboot
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:
Superboot wrote:It was the type of opportunity that Gehrig used to slot though more often than not (but then wasn't he left footed?), but it's hard to think of anyone who would be any better than a 60% chance from that distance and angle.

You might be right, but I'd have more confidence in him from further out but on a kinder angle.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey wrote:Yeah but according to "experts" on here he should he kicked it - more importantly as Captain he should have.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Good to see Champion Data and goalkicking greats such as Quinlan and BT acknowledge that it's not always easy from that particular area.
Not only that, but the fact remains (as anyone at the game would attest to), Roo had approximately 25,000+ screaming Bombers fans making one of the biggest rackets I reckon I've ever heard down at that end of the ground (Which incidentally was the Essendon cheer-squad end) willing that ball not to go through! Even Hayes himself said he'd be flat kicking that far by games end.

I think Roo deserves a bit of respect. We played some lame footy for 2 quarters and personally I was amazed we got as close as we did in the end. We weren't switched on for the majority of the game, whereas Essendon was!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah
50/50

have to agreee
was either gonna miss or score (i like to state the obvious)

imagine taking that mark (a feat in itself)
then having the siren go
thousands of people trying to put u off
and
about 9 bombers players all trying to put you off the shot from around 8 or so metres away.
not easy....not easy in the slightest

AP Erebus
Club Player

Thinline wrote:

I seem to recall him missing one from about 20m out on a tighter angle earlier in the final quarter.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:

Gwilt I reckon

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Kosi? The same player who turned it over by foot 90 seconds previously, without which they might have been able to work it up the field and pick a better option... ?

Lyon's right. If Roo had slotted it they would have robbed Essendon of a deserved win. Too little effort too late in the piece, and the Saints ran out of chances.

I think it sucks that the focus is on that one kick. A smart observer knows better.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Mr X from the West
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Kosi? The same player who turned it over by foot 90 seconds previously, without which they might have been able to work it up the field and pick a better option... ?

Lyon's right. If Roo had slotted it they would have robbed Essendon of a deserved win. Too little effort too late in the piece, and the Saints ran out of chances.

I think it sucks that the focus is on that one kick. A smart observer knows better.
Kosi turned it over by hand rather than foot I think. But you're right - had he not done that, we might well have won.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
SaintHomer
Club Player

Re: Nick Riewoldt was a 50-50 chance

Moccha wrote:Players across the league have threaded only 47 per cent of set shots from the same zone this season.

The AFL's official statistician Champion Data yesterday revealed players have kicked 132.152 from the 40m-50m range on the right flank. but talk about Riewoldt's kicking style lingers despite his total of 59.39 this year.

Not that bad

i think this reflects moreso on how bad goal kicking is accross the board in afl at the elite level, rather than riewoldt being "not that bad".

its a constant talking point between my mates and i (accross the different codes) but afl goal kicking is historically bad. these guys can hit a guy on the chest with a stab pass from 40 metres and yet struggle in front of goal.

probably proves its a mental thing.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I was going to say. Plugger was the best shot at goal I've ever seen. And

a) Remember when he had a shot from a similar range out to get Sydney into the Grand Final. He missed, kicked a point, but he was a hero because he scored and any score would get them in.

b) Remember that final, I think it was in 1992, when he sprayed them everywhere?

So the champs do miss!

Also, Roo has been such a remarkable leader... so terrific this year... well, how could you criticize him for anything? And you know... he'll be even more fired up now (if that's possible) to put his mark on every game. I look forward to it!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:b) Remember that final, I think it was in 1992, when he sprayed them everywhere?
'91. missed one from the goal square that day.

mick13
Club Player

If the siren went after he kicked the ball do you think he would have kicked it or missed it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
markinUSA wrote:b) Remember that final, I think it was in 1992, when he sprayed them everywhere?
I reckon it was 92 against the Dogs. Took a great mark over Hawkins in the goal square and nearly knocked himself out then missed from the square.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Re: Nick Riewoldt was a 50-50 chance

Moccha wrote:Players across the league have threaded only 47 per cent of set shots from the same zone this season.

Not that bad

Stats can be flattering sometimes...does this also include the amount of times the ball went out of bounds on the full and the number of times it didn't make the distance...im guessing it would be in the high 30's and not 40's.....

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
I reckon it was 92 against the Dogs. Took a great mark over Hawkins in the goal square and nearly knocked himself out then missed from the square.
91 EF against Geelong he kicked 9.5, but it was the one he missed in the first quarter that I remember.

92 SF against Footscray he kicked 4.1. EF against Collingwood he kicked 5.3.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
91 EF against Geelong he kicked 9.5, but it was the one he missed in the first quarter that I remember.

92 SF against Footscray he kicked 4.1. EF against Collingwood he kicked 5.3.
Well he certainly missed the one in the square against the Dogs so he must have done it 2 years in a row.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be too hard on Roo, the fact that we we're in a position to win a game we had no right to win was impressive.
Also just a point of order to any Carlscum or Bulldog's fan who might be ribbing you.
Remind them that Fev missed from 25 metres virtually dead in front against Hawthorn and Brad missed after the siren against Geelong.
From all the hoopla of these two assclowns from their supporters you would think that they would never miss.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:Kosi? The same player who turned it over by foot 90 seconds previously, without which they might have been able to work it up the field and pick a better option... ?

Kosi turned it over by hand rather than foot I think. But you're right - had he not done that, we might well have won.
Kosi? Who copped a massive blow to the head, because only had eyes for the ball? Who would have been justified taking a break, but decided to instead take the game on and kicked three goals? :shock:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

He also would have ran km's over the course of the game, exaustion factor aswell. Ive had a brief mourning period after the loss, but right from the day after, i really dont care, 19-1!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We lost a "virtual Practice Match".

Move on!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

from that position if i had someone from the saints kicking for my life i would first have to take
Schneider
Kosi
Goddard
Dal
Riewoldt
Gwilt

if the person could play on and snap it....we thats obvious :wink:
i would take milne to kick a snap shot in the rain on the run dribbiling on the ground 45m out while having a brick thrown at him over riewoldt from 20m out straight infront. in the nicest was as possible of course...thats only because as shown in the paper this morning he is not exactly a good kick from 20m out.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

markinUSA wrote:I was going to say. Plugger was the best shot at goal I've ever seen. And

a) Remember when he had a shot from a similar range out to get Sydney into the Grand Final. He missed, kicked a point, but he was a hero because he scored and any score would get them in.
He was inside the centre square. But it was the SCG so probably only 25m from goal.

Furtius Quo Rdelious