Channel 10 Commentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Channel 10 Commentary

Watched my replay today. I didn't notice any bias at all. I think some fans are finding it difficult to adjust to the Saints being winners rather than underdogs.

Kelly Underwood was well prepared and articulate. Whilst her voice cannot be described at a "dulcet tone" this is not necessarily a problem. Many of the voices of sport have been gravelly or "different" over the years. Competence is the key criterion.

And on Tim Lane, he is easily the best sporting commentator/presenter in Australia over the last thirty years - cricket and football. It was a sorry day when he left the ABC for love. The man has no sense of priorities.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Kellie Underwear does sound terrible on TV - I doubt she will make it as a commentator.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Channel 10 Commentary

perfectionist wrote:Watched my replay today. I didn't notice any bias at all.
Well good for you.
perfectionist wrote:And on Tim Lane, he is easily the best sporting commentator/presenter in Australia over the last thirty years - cricket and football. It was a sorry day when he left the ABC for love. The man has no sense of priorities.
Biased incompetent twat.

Hawks were up at qtr time according to him even though they were nine points down and Cordy had just told him the wind wasn't significant.

Unsuprisingly he got more and more deflated as the game went on. Kellie Underwood was good and Walls was fair - Lane has just gone from boring on the ABC to medicore and so typically stereotypically commercial now he thinks he is a rock star.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Watched my replay today. I didn't notice any bias at all.
Well good for you.
perfectionist wrote:And on Tim Lane, he is easily the best sporting commentator/presenter in Australia over the last thirty years - cricket and football. It was a sorry day when he left the ABC for love. The man has no sense of priorities.
Biased incompetent twat.

Hawks were up at qtr time according to him even though they were nine points down and Cordy had just told him the wind wasn't significant.

Unsuprisingly he got more and more deflated as the game went on. Kellie Underwood was good and Walls was fair - Lane has just gone from boring on the ABC to medicore and so typically stereotypically commercial now he thinks he is a rock star.
If anyone was biased it was Rubber Balls, as he has been since he selected Ross as our coach.

Tim Lane was very even handed on Saturday and gave big wraps for the '66 Reunion.

Kelli was great.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Mon 05 Apr 2010 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The Hawks had more of the ball and a lot more inside 50s in the first quarter and looked like they were kicking against the wind. Certainly Max thought so since, when he won the toss, he had no hesitation in kicking to the Southern Terrace end. We made stunning use of our opportunities for a change - a sign of a winner.

Here is another link to Tim Lane's story of the 1966 reunion for anyone who still says he is biased against the Saints:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ol ... 33568.html

Beej
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Watched my replay today. I didn't notice any bias at all. I think some fans are finding it difficult to adjust to the Saints being winners rather than underdogs.

And on Tim Lane, he is easily the best sporting commentator/presenter in Australia over the last thirty years - cricket and football. It was a sorry day when he left the ABC for love. The man has no sense of priorities.
Totally agree with all of that.

Anybody who believes Lane has any bias at all needs to watch the qualifying final at AAMI one more time. That was one of the best calls I can remember.

I watched the first quarter of the Hawthorn game again and it was clear to me, just by watching that quarter, that he had absolutely no bias against us.

With about a minute remaining in the quarter Schneider laid a tackle in the forward-50 and the umpire awarded holding-the-ball. Milne got the ball and there was a clear advantage which wasn't paid.

Tim Lane said that was the worst non-advantage call he'd ever seen.

He said, "St Kilda were careering towards an open goal there but the umpire called it back, so I'm glad St Kilda kicked the goal, which was rightfully the Saints."

Obviously showing no bias against us there.

I find it perplexing whenever I read a "Dim Lane hates us" post. No idea where the idea comes from. I'm guessing it's just paranoia and the old St Kilda persecution complex shining through.

One of the best callers in Australian sport is Tim Lane.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

After watching the replay I must admit that the commentary wasn't as terrible as I thought it was originally. In the heat of the moment, when Hawthorn were getting the best of the umpiring (most of which were there) & having Lane pump up the tyres of the Hawks was a bit too much for my 'one eyed-ness'.

I still reckon he's on old windbag. His daughter is possibly the most untalented person on TV right now... maybe just in front of Andrew Maher & Dave Hughes.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote: His daughter is possibly the most untalented person on TV right now....
Now that I agree with. Especially since Christi Malthouse has gone and had a baby - she stands alone :lol:

I hated Kellie Underwood when she first entered the airways, probably due to my gender bias re 'what the hell is a female doing calling our game?'

I have since warmed to her, and actually enjoyed her commentry on the weekend. I always enjoy the commentry more when we are winning though, for some reason the commentators are far more complimentry of our boys :wink:

She's not a bad sort either (not that that bears any relevance to her commentry)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Kellie's overall calling was better but I reckon she needs to modify her voice. It sounds like she is trying to sound like man, in particular Dennis Commetti.

Anybody else get that.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Tim Lane is probably the best footy and cricket commentator going around, but you dont want to cop him calling a Carlton game.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

That's just the way she talks... she's just a knockabout aussie girl who loves her footy... can't see why people have been so cruel to her. She's got a very good knowledge of the game too and isn't an opinionated smart arse like Hudson & Maher to name but a few.

I'll take Kellie & her occasional cliches over Dwayne, Bruce & a heap of others anyday.

roxanne
Club Player

I wish she did sound more like Dennis Cometti - I don't mind her voice but she just calls the bleeding obvious, doesn't tell us anything that's happening forward of the ball or what that particular play means, and cliche after cliche 'last roll of the dice' got a fair bashing. But good on 10 for giving her a go and I'm sure she'll get better. It would be a hard gig.
Samantha Lane is great - lay off her. I reckon she knows her stuff and is a very fine writer in the Age as well. Tim Lane - well, he did stick it up the Saints on a regular basis, at least on radio on a Friday night. Maybe this years different. Shots of him and Wallsy looked like those two old guys on the Muppets.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

roxanne wrote:I wish she did sound more like Dennis Cometti - I don't mind her voice but she just calls the bleeding obvious, doesn't tell us anything that's happening forward of the ball or what that particular play means, and cliche after cliche 'last roll of the dice' got a fair bashing. But good on 10 for giving her a go and I'm sure she'll get better. It would be a hard gig.
Samantha Lane is great - lay off her. I reckon she knows her stuff and is a very fine writer in the Age as well. Tim Lane - well, he did stick it up the Saints on a regular basis, at least on radio on a Friday night. Maybe this years different. Shots of him and Wallsy looked like those two old guys on the Muppets.
The problem with Sam Lane is that she's a good writer but that doesn't always translate into being good on TV. She's been on BTG for almost 10 years & still struggles to get a question out. She's either terribly nervous or just gets starstruck by talking to AFL players. Either way there are much better qualified female AFL reporters that should be ahead of her.

It always seemed like a bit of a package deal to me to get Tim Lane to Ch 10 (come over due to your stand against bias commentary- McGuire- & your daughter can stutter her way through interviews on a weekly basis).

Prodgers
Club Player

Underwood has made big improvements from when i listened to her the first time - thought she was quite good actually.

Although i couldn't understand how Hawthorn played the first quarter better either... they played so much better but we kicked 2 more goals... isnt scoring the aim of the game? :?

St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

I think Kelli Underwood needs to just relax a bit with the description calling. By that I mean she does not have to describe every little detail that we can see for ourselves. That might work better on radio than TV but she only needs more experience at it and she will be ok.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Tim Lane is probably the best footy and cricket commentator going around, but you dont want to cop him calling a Carlton game.
Very true...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Prodgers wrote:Underwood has made big improvements from when i listened to her the first time - thought she was quite good actually.

Although i couldn't understand how Hawthorn played the first quarter better either... they played so much better but we kicked 2 more goals... isnt scoring the aim of the game? :?
We supposedly had a 2 goal wind, which makes a 9 point lead a 3 point deficit.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

one of the papers has taken Wallsy to task
Enough football, now for Wallsy's mind-reading act
Leaping Larry | August 10, 2009
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Following an almost instantaneous turnover in possession in the wake of Brown's kick, the ball sailed straight back over his head for a St Kilda goal.

"That one came back quicker than what he sent it away with," reflected Robert, with impeccable comic flair, and grammar. Most couldn't top that, but most aren't Robert Walls.

"It'll be interesting to see if he does it again," mused Wallsy, pensively. Given the results of the previous attempt, the possibility of a repetition wouldn't even have occurred to more conventional thinkers, but there you are.

To some people the glass is half-empty, to others half-full, and Robert Walls would probably issue a flood warning.
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 09798.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
rocksolid
Club Player

l thought Kelli was pretty good, at least she doesn't go on with a heap of crap like a lot of the egomaniac men.