Luke Ball - How do we reckon he went?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball - How do we reckon he went?

Did he do enough to cement a spot?

Watching the game yesterday, my missus walked into the room just after the second half had started and first question she asked was 'How's Ball Going?'

My answer - 'Disappointing to be honest.'

From that moment on though, I thought he improved.

25 possessions and 11 tackles is a good game. Was just hoping that he would stand out more. His disposal just doesn't seem sure anymore and he appears to have lost confidence completely in his kicking - even when he spots a kick up, he looks like he's being over careful.

He's earnt my respect over the last 5 years, but I think he's lost his confidence. Has the stint in the reserves shaken his confidence rather than stiffened his resolve? Am I being too harsh? THoughts?

claystreet
Club Player

3 words for Bally

Disposal Disposal Disposal

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Ball - How do we reckon he went?

Moods wrote:Did he do enough to cement a spot?

Watching the game yesterday, my missus walked into the room just after the second half had started and first question she asked was 'How's Ball Going?'

My answer - 'Disappointing to be honest.'

From that moment on though, I thought he improved.

25 possessions and 11 tackles is a good game. Was just hoping that he would stand out more. His disposal just doesn't seem sure anymore and he appears to have lost confidence completely in his kicking - even when he spots a kick up, he looks like he's being over careful.

He's earnt my respect over the last 5 years, but I think he's lost his confidence. Has the stint in the reserves shaken his confidence rather than stiffened his resolve? Am I being too harsh? THoughts?
Reckon you hit the nail on the head with your 'he didn't stand out' analysis. For mine he doesn't have to. If you don't see him, he's generally doing all the stuff he's on the ground to do.

The numbers stack up. Would have been terrific if he converted the couple of goal opps he had.

I reckon he's an 'in'.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
roxanne
Club Player

The one dampener on my totally fizzy spirits from yesterday was Luke Ball. I don't think he did enough to change the coach's mind. He was tough in the clinches - as we would expect - but his disposal was ordinary and he had his regulation miss for goal. Not sure he did the 'running and spreading' they want from him. I hope he gets another chance this week. I want him to be great again. I want him there in September.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I guess that's my problem with him THinline. 5 years ago, he would have nailed those goals. IN fact, not sure if people remember, but he used to be a fantastic set shot for goal, actually a great shot for goal on the run as well.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

May be in trouble...

IMO Armitage was a much more creative and damaging player than BALL. BALL's kicking again let him down dismally and just didn't cover enough ground. We need BALL playing at his peak prior to finals but he has a long long way to go!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 09 Aug 2009 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I guess that's my problem with him THinline. 5 years ago, he would have nailed those goals. IN fact, not sure if people remember, but he used to be a fantastic set shot for goal, actually a great shot for goal on the run as well.
To which I say 'he's a different kind of player now.' Question is : do we need the current model?

I say yes. I think ever team needs a Kirk/Ball type. Invaluable in clinches and free up thye more creative types. IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Winmarvellous
Club Player

His kicking was pretty average. Couple out on the full to go with his missed goal. I love Bally, but honestly think a couple are ahead of him now, with ZAc down back freeing up Goddard, Fisher etc to create more run and switch into the midfield. I know he does a lot of the grunt work, which will be needed in September, so there's still a spot for him I guess. Depends how Ross wants to go. I think players who are a bit more flexible tbh.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:To which I say 'he's a different kind of player now.' Question is : do we need the current model?

I say yes. I think ever team needs a Kirk/Ball type. Invaluable in clinches and free up thye more creative types. IMO.
+1

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

He wasn't 'on fire' yesterday, but he did his job and played his role.

He will be in again next week and I believe you will see a massive improvement in his game. He will definitely step it up heading into the finals as he does not want to lose his spot in the team.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
kalsaint
Club Player

A definite "IN" for me.

Think about the number of inside players yesterday.

Mini had the job on Mitchell, Bally did the hard yards without Lenny and Goddard to help with their bid bodies. To me he did a sterling job.

His kicking, when relatively free, is a little disappointing. A few years ago I seem to remember Bally being the one player to be very patient before delivering the correct pass when the opposition ran a flood against us. This confidence doesnt quite seem the same.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Going on just that game, and that game alone....he earnt another game next week.

His in and under work was superb, as was his tackling. so BIG marks there.

However Ball's kicking and not just his shots on goal was a real disappointment...and in particular those kicks where he was under little or no pressure but shanked the ball.

However Armitages' in and under work and tackling were equally good...with better kicking.

I hope that booth get to play again next week.

The two of them could be competing for the one final's berth.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I can see Bally morphing into the best tagger in the game over the next few years. He is very Kirk like at the moment but doesn't have the lock down roles that Kirk is so good at. CJ takes the pacy onballer & Bally takes the inside gun.

As for his goalkicking, I can just see Bally kicking a vital goal when it's needed most. He always seems to get a bad bounce at the moment (probably because he struggles to kick the ball through the goals on the full!)

saintly_safes
Club Player

Gee you guys are hard task masters the guys busted his ars- & had a real dip under tough circumstances held his own & created opportunities every time he touched the footy but still not good enough :?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

struggled imo.... just seems to have no impact....

Saintersss
Club Player

You could tell he was trying hard to create some play, kick goals etc. unfortunately his disposal wasn't up to it.
But in saying that he is still a gun in and under player who gives his all and should be in the best 22.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:Gee you guys are hard task masters the guys busted his ars- & had a real dip under tough circumstances held his own & created opportunities every time he touched the footy but still not good enough :?
The bar has been raised....what was once good enough no longer is.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I thought he worked his way into the game as it went on. Was very good in the 2nd 1/2. Definately did more than enough to hold his spot for the next few weeks. He will know that and it gives him a new base to launch from !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Creates turnovers and opportunities ..... keeper

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saint-stu
Club Player

He was number 1 for tackes and 2nd for disposals.

I definitely think he's an in.

I noticed him running to space more than usual and our win was built on tackling.

Needs to work on his disposal but so do a few of the guys.

saintly_safes
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:Gee you guys are hard task masters the guys busted his ars- & had a real dip under tough circumstances held his own & created opportunities every time he touched the footy but still not good enough :?
IMO he is still in our best 22 & IMO he did enough on Saturday to be a very handy player come September.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

ive got faith that he will be in the best 22 come finals time.
hopefully he gets a few games like Raph to get some confidence back up.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

he was happy to be there

it may be the confidence had already gone and as with a couple of others who regularly get ' picked apart on here" he need to rebuild his confidence in his body and his game..

the two who most pick on are now showing what faith and conitnuity can do for their games.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
IMO he is still in our best 22 & IMO he did enough on Saturday to be a very handy player come September.
I think that you are most likely right...but for me he is not quite an automatic yes.

At present we are talking about potentially our best team ever.......so the standard required to be in it is high....and as Ball is after a midfield slot the standard is even higher as by and large we havea very good midfield group.

Other niches are denied him because his kicking skills are not good enough. ie McQualter denies him as a small defensive forward because Mini has been the most accurate kick at goal at the Saints this year....and so Mini can be relied on to kick the goals which Ball so far this year has mainly missed.

Ball 3 goals 7
Mini 17 goals 6.

At the start of the year who would have thought that Mini would be more secure in the 22 than Ball?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 09 Aug 2009 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

BonoRocks
Club Player

Anyone seen eddy. People talk about disposal of ball, i dont want to bag anyone, but to think eddy is getting a game ahead of ball and everyone hangs it on balls disposal. Ball is needed inside to give lenny a hand and if he can get somewhere back to old form he will be back where he belongs, but with a few others running around ahead of ball it just isnt right. Always high in clearances and tackle count. Important for that alone.

If eddy had 25 touches we wouldnt hear the end of it, Ball has 25, 11 tackles and its like, hmm bad game, not good enough

Add all the other class in there with ball and imagine how he would have looked !