International Fans: Setanta not showing game now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

International Fans: Setanta not showing game now?

Hi

I saw an add for this weekend's game v. Hawks early this week. I had set it to record on Setanta... but this morning, I noticed the recording wasn't there. Then when I looked and searched the whole schedule, there were no games of AFL at all. Does anyone know what's up???

Is Setanta not showing AFL anymore? I'll cancel if it isn't.
That's a huge worry for international fans when it comes to Finals time!

Anyone know anything?

Cheers
Mark

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

From afana.com

TV Coverage Returns to ESPN and TSN

Begins with Round 19 for USA and Canada

For the first time since 1997, the Australian Football League will be on an ESPN network in North America. Following the demise of the sport on Setanta, the AFL has struck a deal for live coverage on ESPN360 of 3 matches per round (weekly) now and beginning in 2010, additional coverage of at least four matches per season (year) on ESPN2. Canadian fans will get one match per week (delayed) on TSN and repeats on TSN2.

AFANA worked closely with the AFL and the networks to support this unprecedented mid-season change. Coverage of the Grand Final will be on ESPN2 through 2011 and we are informed it will be live. Given ESPN's baseball contracts, we remain concerned about this. We do not know what the Grand Final situation on TSN will be for Canada. Unlike Setanta, this coverage will not require a subscription fee from fans. ESPN2 is in over 80% of US homes but aside from the Grand Final it will not have coverage until next season. ESPN360 is the "broadband" channel of ESPN and delivered by computer and it will carry matches live. This service may prove superior for some fans to the existing service on Aussie Sport TV (the Telstra/Big Pond/afl.com.au service by another name). Please note: ESPN360 will not cover all 8 AFL matches each week so you will still need to subscribe to Aussie Sport TV if you wish to get every match on a delayed basis. For those fans without ESPN360, coverage will be limited unless they have MHz Worldview or America One.

As AFANA gets more details, we will post that information on our TV Info and TV schedules pages. AFANA will be revising our TV schedules page as soon as possible with new schedules from ESPN, and TSN, as well as MHz and America One. For the first week or two, there may be some lag time as AFANA, the AFL, ESPN, and TSN work out the schedule logistics. Those pages will be revised to reflect this new coverage so please be patient while we "catch up". As always, AFANA will remain your one stop location to get all AFL TV coverage information and schedules for the USA and Canada.

Delayed free to air coverage of one match per week will continue by MHz Networks and America One. Together, MHz Networks and America One reach over half of the TV markets in North America. (See our TV Info for details on MHz and America One and to find out if your city or town has this free coverage.) MHz has agreed to continue as an AFL broadcaster through the 2011 season. They will carry the Grand Final on a 48 hour delayed basis.

Fans who watch coverage on ESPN360 may wish to register for an account at the ESPN web site in order to take full advantage of the coverage. You will also need to insure your browser and computer can support the service. To determine if your computer works with ESPN360 go to: ESPN360 System Requirements. There are also links there to install the "Move Player" add-in required for most browsers.

AFANA Interim Chairman Kimber Smith will have a statement later today or tomorrow. Please see her comment below.

The press release from the AFL states:

"ESPN and the Australian Football League (AFL) have reached a multiyear rights deal for live multi-platform coverage in the United States and Canada. The agreement brings fans in the U.S. and Canada access to up to three live matches in each round of the home and away season for the remainder of this season and through the end of 2011. It also includes a number of Finals Series matches, including the 2009 Toyota AFL Grand Final from the Melbourne Cricket Ground in September.

In the United States, matches will be streamed live on ESPN360.com, ESPN’s signature live sports broadband network, as well as select AFL matches – including the Grand Final - being televised on ESPN2. In Canada, TSN or TSN2 will televise at least one live or delayed match per week.

The AFL’s agreement with ESPN in the U.S. and Canada follows last week’s confirmation that the league had secured ESPN as its broadcast rights partner in the UK and Ireland. ESPN also delivers the AFL to Sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean region.

AFL Chief Operating Officer Gillon McLachlan said, “We are extremely pleased that ESPN will be working with us in the United States and Canada. They are a global leader in multimedia sports entertainment and the collaboration will ensure our expanding supporter base in the U.S. and Canada enjoy the highest standards in live AFL broadcast coverage going forward.

McLachlan also said the shift towards digital media coverage reflected the growing demand from sports consumers around the globe for live online content: “ESPN360.com has quickly become an online destination of choice for American sports fans and we are delighted that AFL will have a strong presence on the platform.â€

Furtius Quo Rdelious
ace
Saintsational Legend

Carlton
OUT: O'hAILPIN
IN: ESPN

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

I think ESPN is taking over coverage in U.K. and Ireland.
Setanta is in financial difficulties.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Thanks very much for this info.

I will check out ESPN and ESPN2 and make sure I get it.

Setanta was going to show our game... does anyone know if ESPN or ESPN2 will be showing it?

Cheers
Mark

sasaint
Club Player

Yep, in the UK ESPN is showing higlights of the Pies vs Crows game this Sunday. I hope the coverage improves. I might have to sign up so I get some coverage of the finals :)

Patience young grasshopper
Owen
Club Player

Praise the heavens !!

I will be in the USA during grand final week - with a much better chance of getting ESPN2 than Setanta from the rather obscure part of the States that I will be in ..

markinUSA
SS Life Member

This week's game is NOT being broadcast anywhere on TV (e.g. ESPN).
I looked at ESPN's website, and couldn't see a Saints match for the next two weeks either, including on ESPN360.com

Disappointed! Looked forward to this for ages (would have been only the 3rd Saints game to have been shown on Setanta this year).

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

don't know if this helps
ESPN new North American partner
ESPN and the AFL have reached a deal for live multi-platform coverage in the United States and Canada
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Joffa 5
Club Player

I think I saw an ad for BigPond showing games in UK, USA and Canada. I'll have a look.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:I think I saw an ad for BigPond showing games in UK, USA and Canada. I'll have a look.
they did between the end of setanta and the new ESPN arrangement in the UK<>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Joffa 5
Club Player

I see. I just found this and it was only to round 18 from the look of it http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... wsId=81749

The international broadcast guide shows the games televised on ESPN and saints v hawks is not one of them.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

There is always a way to watch the game.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

just PM Kosifantutti

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:There is always a way to watch the game.
Not if it's on Bigpond.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell