Zac or Max or both

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zac or Max or both

Blake is now certain to play out the season baring injury but can our backline have both Zac and Max together. I have no doubt when they played together our backline had less run. They are different players. Max is a far better stopper but Zac is a better kick and provides more run. So what do we do.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Gurgman
Club Player

Add to that plugger wants Goose in ( sad to say it wont happen ) and i agree we are way to big as plugger said re playing geelong , I think selections are going to be on a week by week basis depending on who we are playing , The hawks are really the only other side ( that can beat us ) that has two big forwards , even Geelong only have one now that they are using Hawkins in the ruck , thats one reason why if we were to play them in the final i would play Big Mac in the ruck up against Hawkins .

As for who plays out of Max Zac or Blake , id say the only certain starter is Blake

kaos theory
Club Player

It will depend on the opponent.

I think Maxy has to be first choice. He is THE best stopper/key defender in the game, when up and going.

I remember last yrs prelim, when we were getting smashed by the hawks, and the ball was been delivered with precision & constantly to the forwards and buddy was in form....Maxy was about our only winner of his position on the day.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gurgman wrote:Add to that plugger wants Goose in ( sad to say it wont happen ) and i agree we are way to big as plugger said re playing geelong , I think selections are going to be on a week by week basis depending on who we are playing , The hawks are really the only other side ( that can beat us ) that has two big forwards , even Geelong only have one now that they are using Hawkins in the ruck , thats one reason why if we were to play them in the final i would play Big Mac in the ruck up against Hawkins .

As for who plays out of Max Zac or Blake , id say the only certain starter is Blake
I certainly dont want goose in. That was mentioned by me because it seems some on here want him what ever his form is like or the balance of the side. I hope Goose gets a game if he deserves it.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I think both to be honest

V Geelong
Mooney V Blake
Hawkins V Zac
Johnson V Max

V Hawks
Buddy V Max
Roughy V Dawson
Brown V Blake

V Collingwood
Cloke V Blake
Anthony V Dawson
Medhurst V Max

V Crows
Tippett V Dawson
Burton V Blake
Porplyzia V Max

V Lions
Brown V Max
Bradshaw V Dawson
Brennan V Blake

They are who i consider to be the top sides this year. I didn't included Dogs as i see their season falling away without Higgins and Bob Murphy.

So i beleive we can have all three

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Can't have both in,would be suicidal against Geelong on the G. Those pesky Stevie J,Chapman,Ablett,Stokes types will be licking there lips as the ball hits the deck against 5 key backs

Doing a backflip for now,keep Max in. Zac will have to wait now. Was happy with Max last night,so he keeps his spot. 6 weeks ago I was against bringing Max in for Zac,but for now I'm giving the old Warrior the nod. Things can change though...

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:some on here want him (goose) what ever his form is like or the balance of the side.
i thought goose was a chance last week as a like-for-like replacement for kosi as both are strong-marking (if not particularly nimble) key position players. i can't see him getting a run in the backline for the same reasons that kosi doesn't play there any more.

on the OP, it's a tough one. you wouldn't want to be overstocked with defensive stoppers, nor go too far in the opposite direction. i guess it will depend on match-ups.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 26 Jul 2009 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

hudghton experience will be the big difference between the two come finals.. unfortunately for the zac i think maxie should be ahead of him in best 22.

vergs
Club Player

There will be some tough selection decisions coming up if our good run with injury continues but ultimately it's an ideal situation for the club to be in. Having all of Hudghton, Dawson and Blake in may not be the right balance against a lot of teams. Our rebound from defence has been fantastic so I don't think Ross will want to go too top heavy and risk affecting the versatility of our backline. It's important to our structure to have players such as Gilbert, Fisher and Clarke to provide run from defence and also allow Goddard, Gram and Ray etc. to be released into midfield rotations when needed. Baker and Dempster may have lockdown roles on certain opposition small forwards and Hudghton has shown he is versatile enough to also curtail small/medium forwards.

I'd think that changes for our ideal side at the moment would be Koschitzke to come in for Gwilt, Ball for Eddy and Gardiner for the unlucky McEvoy. Dawson will be the tough one but he has impressed me immensley this year. He has grown in confidence in both his defensive skills and his ability to use his left foot to help the team spread wide and creating attacking forays. He has also improved his composure under pressure. I may be in the minority, but i'd have Hudghton and Dawson as our permanent key backs. Blake has been fantastic defensively like most of our players this year and you could not fault his effort or courage. I just get worried that he can sell himself or his team mates into trouble at times, witnessed both last night and at times against Geelong. In the pressure of finals I wouldn't be as confident with the ball in his hands as I would with Dawson. Both Blake and Dawson have been brilliant this year, but I think Zac has greater foot skills and a new found composure which could be the one thing that would tip him into favour in my opinion, if we are in the situation where 3 key defenders is deemed too many. Hudghton has been one of the best defenders in the past 10 years and if fit he should be an automatic selection.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Earlier in the year I was dubious about playing all of Blake, Zac and Max in the one team.

However:

1/ Zac has continued to improve and his running game is quite fair...though he is no Gilbert or sam..

2/ last night againts the Dogs..who havea small mobile forward line...Max delivered about the best running and link game I have seen from him.
with an occassional blunder.

3/ Blake continues to be the "new" blake which is a pretty fair player..

Added to this:

1/ Baker is back. His last two weeks have been superb. as part of this he has regained some pace whereas earlier he had look dead slow.

2/ We have Ray, Goddard, Gilbert and Gram (who is mainly a mid now) ...and to a lesser extent Raph all provided ample run and carry.

So with the possible exception of the Dogs I would be quite content to now play all three. This may of course be bad news for Raph.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 26 Jul 2009 3:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The can both play because of the flexibility with Zac being a forward option.

Put Zac into some serious Forward line coaching between now and the finals as an insurance policy for Kosi.

claystreet
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:The can both play because of the flexibility with Zac being a forward option.

Put Zac into some serious Forward line coaching between now and the finals as an insurance policy for Kosi.
This crosses my mind as well

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Zac caught the recruiters' eyes with a couple of 8 goals bags at Box Hill last year. The guy can play forward. Might be nice insurance for the almost certain tragedy that is bound to afflict Kosi before the end of the year.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
hotdish
Club Player

How about Dawson at CHB?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

All i know is that Max is never beaten - so that's one battle we've already won by selecting him. He would have to have a massive drop in form not to be one of our first picked. Dawson's been great, and i do think both can fit against any other contender! But if one makes way it's not as hard a choice as some suggest.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
claystreet
Club Player

Max is in for sure but Zacs in our best 22 for mine as well.

Zac across half back leaving someone to go forward? who knowes
but in him we have options.

8-)

Saintersss
Club Player

All I know is that we can't have both. It's either Zac or Max, and thank god I don't have to decide. But one thing is that we know Max can peform under finals pressure, can Zac? Possibly, but would we want to take that chance.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'd go Zac by whisker, for his run and carry - although Max did look a fair bit sharper in that respect than normal.

Max would be super hungry and will no doubt play out of his skin whilst given the chance.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:The can both play because of the flexibility with Zac being a forward option.

This crosses my mind as well
not the worst idea i've heard on here.

we need some insurance in the event of injury or suspension to riewoldt or kosi.

i thought goose, but his form might not be good enough.

the scoreboard might not necessarily have reflected it yesterday, but i've always thought we look better with two big forward marking targets. it takes some of the pressure off riewoldt for a start.