Ross on the fifth quarter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ross on the fifth quarter

On the fifth quarter Ross reminded us that in the last four weeks we've had Geelong, a trip to Subi and then two top four sides, the last one off a six day versus eight day break.
To win all of those and come out of it with split webbing on Kosi's hand as the only injury is just a mighty bloody effort. Great effort by the whole club.
He was also asked about resting players and his stated intention to play the best 22 each week. He basically said that their goal is top spot. If that's sewn up, then they'll look at "pulling a rein" to give some guys some down time. He also mentioned how they are aware of managing players and that this week and last week they have milked the clock when the game's been won and have given more bench time to key players.
So to those who have been wanting to see some players rested, Lyon's onto it for god's sake.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Yeah but we still havent beaten anyone above us on the ladder yet :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We all need to boo when we are 50 points up and the players are icing the clock.

We have to show what great supporters we are.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I like his thinking in trying to sow up top,then rest a few maybe. Hawthorn win today would of been handy for that cause....

Win the next two,then shut up shop against Bombers. They're kamikaze running took some wind out of our sails last time.

Bring back the Lockett era
felixleo
Club Player

Whats the difference between finishing first or second if the only other team is Victorian. IMO opinion though don't flirt with form.

Are you gonna be the one?
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

felixleo wrote:Whats the difference between finishing first or second if the only other team is Victorian. IMO opinion though don't flirt with form.
The possibility of getting Brisbane or Adelaide week one here...
Dogs spot in top 4 could be shaky now losing Higgins and Murphy

Bring back the Lockett era
roxanne
Club Player

You'd hesitate to ask him a question though if you were the journo - he goes on and on and on and on....but God I love him.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
matrix
Saintsational Legend

roxanne wrote:You'd hesitate to ask him a question though if you were the journo - he goes on and on and on and on....but God I love him.
lol
i thought this too
he didnt mind having a good natter
but it was informative and he seems to find that perfect balance, he doesnt tell u everything but enough for u to think hmm, he knows what he is doing.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

He's a journo's dream really... no trying to get blood out of a stone there...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Caught the last part of that interview
He even admitted they were worried at 3/4 time (like some of us) that due to the last 4 weeks the bulldogs would out run us.
So the players are even surprising the coaching staff not just us supporters

Before Im 85
Legendary
Club Player

Some poor bugger of a journo asked him a question in the press conference about our KPI's.

Ross absolutely destroyed the bloke, questioning him in detail about the stats, correcting him and then finally asking "who are you exactly?"

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
i would like to see that

Foz
Club Player

Heard the KPI question...journo tried to line him up with the fact tackles were similar, inside 50's similar etc.

Ross asked how the contested ball went? Journo answered we were 11 up at 3/4 time. Ross said "I would consider that a good margin"

In same thread, asked journo where he was from (working) putting him on the backfoot further.

The true Ross Lyon came out with the question, it seemed to inspire him. Ross explained that the uncontested ball was well up on usual, which meant we spread the Bulldogs and made them run to compete and defend our use with it. He explained they were one of the best defending teams so getting 32% (16 goals from 51 entries) meant we got through well. He further mentioned that we held the Dogs to 17%. He said we clearly won contested ball.

Obviously our coaching team really values systems and achieving certain results. Not only did he explain so well what he was actually looking for as his KPI's but he explained why he was so impressed with the performance. There was more to it than tackles the same, inside 50's the same.

2nd week in a row possessions > 450. Saints game becoming a lot like Geelong at their peak. Loads of sharing the ball, not giving it up and then scrapping to get it back.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Some poor bugger of a journo asked him a question in the press conference about our KPI's.

Ross absolutely destroyed the bloke, questioning him in detail about the stats, correcting him and then finally asking "who are you exactly?"
Well well well....... now we know EXACTLY what rodgerfox does for a quid!

8-)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Yes folks, sounds like Ross is struggling as much as his team. How's the transformation in the man and his team since round 12 last year? 25 home and away wins and two relatively narrow losses. In Ross we trust..........

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Ross on the fifth quarter

st.byron wrote:He was also asked about resting players and his stated intention to play the best 22 each week. He basically said that their goal is top spot. If that's sewn up, then they'll look at "pulling a rein" to give some guys some down time.
I've been thinking about this one (as you do), the sooner this team has 20 wins the sooner they can start preparing for finals.

So if we make it unscathed through the next 3 rounds (still a big ask but nothing seems out of reach for this group) then the footy department basically has carte blanche to do whatever they like in the last two games to prepare for finals... while the rest of the comp are still jockeying for positions!

Mind you Geelong are at an advantage here... assuming they've given up on the top spot, they are still 4 games clear of the pack, which makes the rest of the H&A season a dead rubber for them if they don't drop next week's game against the Crows.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
asiu

So to those who have been wanting to see some players rested, Lyon's onto it for god's sake.

yea

8-)

we could already see that

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross on the fifth quarter

InkerSaint wrote:
st.byron wrote:He was also asked about resting players and his stated intention to play the best 22 each week. He basically said that their goal is top spot. If that's sewn up, then they'll look at "pulling a rein" to give some guys some down time.
I've been thinking about this one (as you do), the sooner this team has 20 wins the sooner they can start preparing for finals.

So if we make it unscathed through the next 3 rounds (still a big ask but nothing seems out of reach for this group) then the footy department basically has carte blanche to do whatever they like in the last two games to prepare for finals... while the rest of the comp are still jockeying for positions!

Mind you Geelong are at an advantage here... assuming they've given up on the top spot, they are still 4 games clear of the pack, which makes the rest of the H&A season a dead rubber for them if they don't drop next week's game against the Crows.
you would not want to rest players and lose the last two games of the season becuase of it.

still geelong does have the advantage in that respect. knowing htey can't lose 2nd sport and can tinker with their side alot more then the saints can.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We all need to boo when we are 50 points up and the players are icing the clock.

I moved around the grd in the last Quarter, sat next to some old boiler and should have heard her carry on when we held the ball up, saying things like "well I hope the Dogs get a goal now" Damn it pissed me off, I started to applaud our actions everytime she said something.

The boys had done their job and could ice the clock till doomsday for all I cared and I let her know.
Stupid old bag.
Close to punching her out..... :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:We all need to boo when we are 50 points up and the players are icing the clock.

I moved around the grd in the last Quarter, sat next to some old boiler and should have heard her carry on when we held the ball up, saying things like "well I hope the Dogs get a goal now" Damn it pissed me off, I started to applaud our actions everytime she said something.

The boys had done their job and could ice the clock till doomsday for all I cared and I let her know.
Stupid old bag.
The booing of the tactic irritates me, but I dont think they're booing the players.... having said that they are behaving like spoilt kids who just want more sugary crap instead of vegies, or theatre goers who think they're watching a freakin movie and are demanding a climactic and happy ending.

5 minute rests x 22 games = 1 whole game... you dont need to be a rocket surgeon to work that out.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: 5 minute rests x 22 games = 1 whole game... you dont need to be a rocket surgeon to work that out.
Do you have to carry the 5 or sumthin?.... :P

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Stupid old bag.
The booing of the tactic irritates me, but I dont think they're booing the players.... having said that they are behaving like spoilt kids who just want more sugary crap instead of vegies, or theatre goers who think they're watching a freakin movie and are demanding a climactic and happy ending.

5 minute rests x 22 games = 1 whole game... you dont need to be a rocket surgeon to work that out.
In the Victory Room after the game, Max made a point of thnking the fans for their support..and that they can all hear us getting behind them

Unfortunately my first thought was "Oh great..they can also hear the tools who boot them when we play tempo footy" .

Maybe one of the players need to get up after the game and say.."Right..pay attention..modern footy works like this....." etc etc

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:5 minute rests x 22 games = 1 whole game... you dont need to be a rocket surgeon to work that out.
or a brain scientist

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:..... you dont need to be a rocket surgeon to work that out.
My ex-wife was an excellent rocket surgeon