Membership Numbers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Membership Numbers

St Kilda's club membership number is pathetic, no doubt hindered by the small ground capacity and the restricted access to the best seats - level 2 because of the Medallion club and Access One.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

THE AFL's club have set a new membership record, with nearly 600,000 fans signing up for the 2009 season. As of June 30, the 16 AFL clubs had signed a new record tally of 586,748 members, a rise of 2.2 per cent on last year’s total of 574,091 members.

Eight clubs had recorded increases on their 2008 membership tally – Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda.

Hawthorn recorded a massive increase of nearly 27 per cent, taking its total membership to 52,496 – a record for any club in the game’s history and making the Hawks only the second team behind the Adelaide Crows (2006 and 2007) to top 50,000 members in a season.

MEMBERSHIP FIGURES

ADELAIDE 46,472
BRISBANE 24,873
CARLTON 42,408
COLLINGWOOD 45,972
ESSENDON 40,412
FREMANTLE 39,206
GEELONG 37,160
HAWTHORN 52,496
NORTH MELBOURNE 28,340
MELBOURNE 31,506
PORT ADELAIDE 30,605
RICHMOND 36,981
ST KILDA 31,906
SYDNEY 26,269
WEST COAST 43,927
WESTERN BULLDOGS 28,215

TOTAL: 586,748
Last edited by ace on Tue 21 Jul 2009 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Didnt even get our record. Very poor of some of our so called supporters and our marketing department. We are getting furthger behind the top clubs and closer to the bottom clubs. Melbourne were only 400 behind.

saintlee
Club Player

I thought our total was 33,010....

Sunday Red
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Didnt even get our record. Very poor of some of our so called supporters and our marketing department. We are getting furthger behind the top clubs and closer to the bottom clubs. Melbourne were only 400 behind.
Am I missing something? :shock:

JUNE 19
The St Kilda Football Club is delighted to announce that an all-time record membership of 32,343 has been reached and would like to thank all of our members and supporters for making this possible. This new benchmark eclipses the previous record set in 2004 (32,323) and the great news is that Saints fans still have another 12 days to sign up for this year and add to our tally.

St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold said, “It gives me great pleasure to announce this record membership. I am immensely proud of our members, the tireless work of our staff and the relentless commitment of the playing group and coaches for making this possible.â€

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:I thought our total was 33,010....
As all committee's do when they are embarrassed they fudge the figure a little I would think. Probably included the $55 members which is basically a donation and the AFL dont include that in the final figures.

Saintly_31
Club Player

So did i. ;-)

Maguire's Squire #25

myspace: www.myspace.com/kirll
saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
As all committee's do when they are embarrassed they fudge the figure a little I would think. Probably included the $55 members which is basically a donation and the AFL dont include that in the final figures.
Do they include Hawthorn's pet memberships? I still can't believe their figure is genuine

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Do they include Hawthorn's pet memberships? I still can't believe their figure is genuine
Well its audited so why wouldnt it be. Its called marketing, a premiership and playing in Tassie.

claystreet
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Very poor of some of our so called supporters .
Some people dont have jobs and are flat broke trying to save houses, the countries up the shyt the worlds in a mess. I am a member i have a job but i know of 3 people couldnt sign up this year because their families having a feed is worth more than a membership.

Speak for yourself when talking about peoples loyalty and the why of lacking members. Have a look at the cost ffs before you slam so called supporters whom lots have probably done more for the Saints cause than you've probably done.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I think Hawthorn has an Aurora Stadium games only membership for the games they play down there.
They then count these as club memberships.
Former politiciians always remember how to spin lies.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Don't think we have done that badly considering last years result (very few people expected us to be a force this year).

Hawthorn had 31000 members in 2007, they won the first 9 games last year which made a lot of members sign up. Hawthorn however don't have the 'fail and struggle' tag that we have.

Forget this years membership results, if we make a competitive grand final (even if we lose) and continue this years form early next year, i think you'll find we will make a massive jump next year on memberships, just as Hawthorn did in '08 and '09...(20000 jump in 2 years, if they continue to struggle next year, watch it drop)

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Well its audited so why wouldnt it be. Its called marketing, a premiership and playing in Tassie.
I'll buy the premiership part, but did we get much of a membership boost when we played in Tassie? And I actually thought our marketing this year was quite good.....

I guess my question with Hawthorn is, are they a bigger club than Collingwood or Carlton, or Adelaide or WCE? I don't think so....I will be interested to see their membership figures next year.....

ace
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:
Some people dont have jobs and are flat broke trying to save houses, the countries up the shyt the worlds in a mess. I am a member i have a job but i know of 3 people couldnt sign up this year because their families having a feed is worth more than a membership.

Speak for yourself when talking about peoples loyalty and the why of lacking members. Have a look at the cost ffs before you slam so called supporters whom lots have probably done more for the Saints cause than you've probably done.
Yes many saints supporters are doing it tough.
But so are supporters of all the other clubs.
A number of other clubs have increased memberships over the last few years while St Kilda has been static.

I have access to Level 2 so I get a good view of the game - close enough to see the play, high enough to see the strategies.
But I would not be happy watching ants run around from high up and way back on level 3.
Those members have my sympathy.
Especially those on the city side who get to look at all the vacant seats in the Medallion club.
Last edited by ace on Tue 21 Jul 2009 4:32pm, edited 3 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:

Sorry didnt realise I said all supporters. Obviously if you havent got the money you cannot join but give me a break. Having said that it is only $15 a month even most unemployed could do that especially ones without family. I bet we get 10,000 new members next year. Where are they this year. How would you have a clue what I or anyone else do for the club. I suggest you have no idea in that department.

claystreet
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
claystreet wrote:

Sorry didnt realise I said all supporters. Obviously if you havent got the money you cannot join but give me a break. Having said that it is only $15 a month even most unemployed could do that especially ones without family. I bet we get 10,000 new members next year. Where are they this year. How would you have a clue what I or anyone else do for the club. I suggest you have no idea in that department.
I said they probably have done more, sorry did i say i knew what you do other than make out your some sort of legend on a forum. Alot of these people i am talking about dished out bucket loads of cash when the club was crippled and couldnt pay its players, stood and supported them through thick and thin but what would you know your just a keyboard egotist know all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
claystreet wrote:

I said they probably have done more, sorry did i say i knew what you do other than make out your some sort of legend on a forum. Alot of these people i am talking about dished out bucket loads of cash when the club was crippled and couldnt pay its players, stood and supported them through thick and thin but what would you know your just a keyboard egotist know all.
As you said Probably. You have no idea what I do or not do. When you resort to that then we know you are struggling for a response. I am a nobody probably just like yourself and many others on here worried about our poor membership.

SaintDebi
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Having said that it is only $15 a month even most unemployed could do that especially ones without family. .
Plugger, this isn't challenging anything you've said, because I see the point you're making and I agree with you. But I recall a similar debate on this forum earlier in the year where the easy monthly payments kept getting thrown up as a reason why most people should be able to afford it.
It's true that this is a great way of affording it, and in fact I've taken advantage of it this year. But for those who are doing it tough, even that small amount can be a stretch if money is otherwise committed. Otherwise I'd have it all: new house, new car, house full of new furniture- just as long as I made sure each monthly payment was relatively small. :)
I don't know if that really illustrates my point, but some people just cannot find that few dollars per month extra. For instance, I woiuld have loved to upgrade to social club, but that just wasn't possible for us this year. (even as a nominal monthly payment).
However the fact remains that the payment plan does provide the chance for many to sign up, and I urge anyone who is able to get on board early for next year.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

In 2008 only 4 clubs listed their membership totals as couting only 11 game, 17 game and junior memberships (in other words, genuine memberships). St.Kilda, Carlton, North Melbourne and Brisbane.

I wonder if it's the same in 2009?

Sunday Red
Club Player

Just saw this on the homepage which may explain it.
http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

While the Saints posted an all-time record membership of 33,265, just 31,906 were officially counted under the official audit. The 'Saints Sideline' single game membership category for fans unable to attend matches often was excluded from the count.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Sunday Red wrote:Just saw this on the homepage which may explain it.
http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

While the Saints posted an all-time record membership of 33,265, just 31,906 were officially counted under the official audit. The 'Saints Sideline' single game membership category for fans unable to attend matches often was excluded from the count.
So we were fudging the figures. Disgraceful!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mordi
Club Player

......but we shouldn't be anywhere near clubs like Melbourne and Bulldogs.

Remember when everyone south of Caulfield was a Saints supporter...and we had Gippsland tied up also.

This is actually a real problem, however I would hope the club has this as a priority to increase.

If we fall below Melbourne then it is time to worry............

What's the Point of it All?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I just had a blue with a mate over the phone who has continually used my mates AFL memberships cards to get into games, and rang up again asking if I can spare 3 tix to this weeks game. I had a crack and told him to stop being such a tightarse and buy a bloody membership!

He shamefully agreed and promised that next year he would be paid up. My younger bro who is MCC and can't see the value in it, has also agreed it's time to sign up. Is there an incentive program for members who sign up other members? :D

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Moods wrote:I just had a blue with a mate over the phone who has continually used my mates AFL memberships cards to get into games, and rang up again asking if I can spare 3 tix to this weeks game. I had a crack and told him to stop being such a tightarse and buy a bloody membership!

He shamefully agreed and promised that next year he would be paid up. My younger bro who is MCC and can't see the value in it, has also agreed it's time to sign up. Is there an incentive program for members who sign up other members? :D
Yeah,

You get $10 or $20 for signing up another member.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:

well said.

saintschampions08, does that still happen with the money for signing people up? i remember i got $25 for getting my little brother and sister to sign up ages ago, i was only 10 or 11 but it was the happiest day of my life. i think $10 or $20 is not going get people to go to the trouble of getting others to sign up etc... but i know collingwood give you an official 'game day' jumper if you sign 4 people up, and smaller things if you sign 1 person up, like a hat or flag.
not sure about you guys, but i would rather a polo or jumper over $25

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Saintschampions08
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
claystreet wrote:

well said.

saintschampions08, does that still happen with the money for signing people up? i remember i got $25 for getting my little brother and sister to sign up ages ago, i was only 10 or 11 but it was the happiest day of my life. i think $10 or $20 is not going get people to go to the trouble of getting others to sign up etc... but i know collingwood give you an official 'game day' jumper if you sign 4 people up, and smaller things if you sign 1 person up, like a hat or flag.
not sure about you guys, but i would rather a polo or jumper over $25
Yeah but Collingwood only give them out if you get 4 members right?

I know when my cousin didn't buy a membership, i bought an extra one for $85 (i think, was $25 cheaper then normal) because i 'referred' myself.

For that, i got 2 scarfes, and free Lvl3 (though i always buy level 1 when i can) tickets for me and anyone i choose...

In the end, i spend $10 a week at least on Subway alone...1 foot long less a week goes to paying more then my membership...it's not a great deal.