Shane Crawford on the importance of resting players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Shane Crawford on the importance of resting players

Crawford explains how the Hawks' resting of players helped them to a premiership last season.
Saints drop Ball … or did they?
By Shane Crawford
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/ ... _did_they/

THIS time last year Geelong had seven players who had played every game.

By season’s end, six of them had represented the club in all of its 25 games.

Fast forward a year, and only two Cats—Corey Enright and Joel Selwood—have yet to miss a game.

It’s a big difference and I suggest it represents a change in philosophy as Geelong seeks to make up for the disappointment of Grand Final day last year.

In contrast, the AFL’s other current power side, St Kilda, seems to be doing things a little differently—at least on face value.

The unbeaten Saints have had 11 players play in all 15 games to date. Luke Ball would have been the 12th, but the club dropped him for today’s game against Adelaide.

While St Kilda was adamant Ball was dropped for form reasons and was not rested, the break won’t do him any harm.

Football is all about preparation, and clubs now realise they need to be spot on to ensure they are in the best condition to win the flag.

So, it is very interesting to see if St Kilda’s attitude changes in the coming weeks.

Coach Ross Lyon insisted this week that his club would not be resting players in the rundown to September. You have to take him at his word, too. But if there are any little niggles or ailments hampering his players, I’m sure you will find the club opts on the side of caution.

Geelong did that last week, when they made eight changes to their team to play Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

It was the right call. A win is always important but, if you can afford it, a win in September is much more important than one in Round 15.

How many of those players who missed last week, including Gary Ablett, Darren Milburn, Matthew Scarlett, James Kelly and Andrew Mackie, would have missed if it had been the first qualifying final? Without knowing for sure, I would hazard a guess—five of the eight.

In any given club at this time of the year, I would suggest that anywhere between 10-15 players would be carrying injuries into matches.

For clubs such as the Western Bulldogs, currently sitting third but could still slip out of the top four, they do not have the luxury of resting too many players.

They have 12 players who have run out in every game.

But if Rodney Eade’s team locks in the double chance, I am sure they would be happy to give the likes of Jason Akermanis or Brad Johnson a physical and mental refresher before the finals.

Geelong and St Kilda do have that luxury, having already secured top two status.

We did that at Hawthorn late last season and I am sure it played a significant part in seeing us win the premiership.

We had started the season so well and had all but assured ourselves of finishing in the top four (even the top two) a long way out from finals.

So we worked out a system of aiming all our focus on getting players as prepared as they could for the finals, rather than the last bracket of home-and-away games.

In doing that, we had some players go in for surgery in the middle of the year, when they would have otherwise tried to play through the pain.
And a few players got the chance for a rest later in the year, with some niggles.

I missed our Round 22 game against Carlton. I really wanted to play because I wanted to be out there when Buddy Franklin kicked his 100th goal, but I knew the prize at the end of the season was potentially much more important.

And so it proved on the last Saturday in September.
Definitely some things in there worth taking note of.

We don't have to drop 22 players at once, but just getting a week off into players like Riewoldt, Montagna, Hayes, S Fisher and one or two others would be ideal in my book.

Fantastic physically, and that's obvious. But a great thing mentally as well.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Crawf was 33 at the time. Rooy is only 26 i think. The one thing they will not do IMO is rest players in round 22. They will gradually rest slightly injured players before that date but not round 22.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Theirs a difference between resting and not playing players because of niggles.

Does it really look like Roo, Montagna, Hayes or Fisher need a rest (especially considering they had one a month ago)?

We just smashed a team who before this round was ranked top 3 in the comp (based on stats), they scored 22 points after quarter time, and got smashed in every area of the game.

Do you really think Hayes is the type of person who would like a rest right now, imagine telling Harves that he can't play because you think he needs a rest.... :roll:

You can't compare soccer and AFL in terms of resting, EPL players generally play more than once a week, and play more often and for longer (38 games in a season) then AFL players do, their different sports, the same strategies don't apply.

Roo plays once a week, 22 games over 23 weeks in the home and away season...if he isn't fit enough to be able to do that without a rest, then we are all dreaming about how 'professional' our sport has become.

Batnoe

Win first week of the final and give the whole team a week off

Ross Lyon is a very smart man

well done Ross

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

What's the harm in resting the odd key player (no more than one or so) each week? It's not flirting with your form.

I would like to see Riewoldt at 110% for a Grand Final. Not 90%. He might be flying now, but there's still another 9-10 matches to play.

Geelong looked cooked in last year's GF after HT and they had a week off after the QF but it clearly wasn't enough. I'd hate for the same thing to happen to us. They didn't have the legs to get back into the contest and looked distinctly tired and lethargic.

I still can't see the issue. If we can barrel through, fantastic, but I just everything right - that we can control - for a tilt at the flag.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 21 Jul 2009 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I propose a week off for everyone before the GF!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:I propose a week off for everyone before the GF!
We haven't had the Second Semi Final system since 1993...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
degruch wrote:I propose a week off for everyone before the GF!
We haven't had the Second Semi Final system since 1993...
Let's take the AFL to court!

Saintschampions08
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:What's the harm in resting the odd key player (no more than one or so) each week? It's not flirting with your form.

I would like to see Riewoldt at 110% for a Grand Final. Not 90%. He might be flying now, but there's still another 9-10 matches to play.

Geelong looked cooked in last year's GF after HT and they had a week off after the QF but it clearly wasn't enough. I'd hate for the same thing to happen to us. They didn't have the legs to get back into the contest and looked distinctly tired and lethargic.

I still can't see the issue. If we can barrel through, fantastic, but I just everything right - that we can control - for a tilt at the flag.
Geelong are cocky pricks, who lack the mental strength to ever be a 'great' (Brisbane '01-'03 etc) team. A team with a player who cries because he didn't win the Brownlow will never, ever, be a great team. Look at Houston (another sport, same principle) when they had Barkley, Olajuwon and Drexler...didn't manage to be anywhere near as successful as Utah or Chicago, and not because of a lack of class.

Geelong lacked the heart needed to win a premiership last year, from what i've seen this year...we don't. Not to mention our coach isn't an up-himself moron.

Riewoldt will give you 110% in a Grand Final no matter what, the Sydney / West Coast attitudes of 2005/2006 have been instilled in this team. While that doesn't guarantee a premiership, it doesn't mean a break will do us any good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:What's the harm in resting the odd key player (no more than one or so) each week? It's not flirting with your form.

Geelong are cocky pricks, who lack the mental strength to ever be a 'great' (Brisbane '01-'03 etc) team. A team with a player who cries because he didn't win the Brownlow will never, ever, be a great team. Look at Houston (another sport, same principle) when they had Barkley, Olajuwon and Drexler...didn't manage to be anywhere near as successful as Utah or Chicago, and not because of a lack of class.

Geelong lacked the heart needed to win a premiership last year, from what i've seen this year...we don't. Not to mention our coach isn't an up-himself moron.

Riewoldt will give you 110% in a Grand Final no matter what, the Sydney / West Coast attitudes of 2005/2006 have been instilled in this team. While that doesn't guarantee a premiership, it doesn't mean a break will do us any good.
Geelong have won a flag in the last years we have nothing. Until we do we having nothing on them

Saintschampions08
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

Geelong have won a flag in the last years we have nothing. Until we do we having nothing on them
Geelong haven't beaten us this year, thats something?

Sure, we haven't even reached finals yet...but unlike them, we didn't choke when confronted by a weaker team with more more will...like they did last year.

Doesn't mean we have anything over them, but we can at least celebrate in the fact that our players/coaches aren't arrogant pricks.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Didn't all 22 have a rest in the second half against Adelaide?

Certainly did in the fourth quarter.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

No one can make that call without knowing the condition of the players.... and Misson is the very best.

Derailment may only be a trip to bonnie doon or a bad movie away.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

Sure, we haven't even reached finals yet...but unlike them, we didn't choke when confronted by a weaker team with more more will...like they did last year.

Doesn't mean we have anything over them, but we can at least celebrate in the fact that our players/coaches aren't arrogant pricks.
Well you can celebrate that. At the moment Geelong can celebrate a flaf 3 years ago. I know which one is more important.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The whole premise of Crawf's comments is based on the fact that Geelong DID rest players, which their coach has claimed is not the case. When is an injury a rest? Caution? It's a thin line.

Hawthorn played Croad into the ground during the finals series...no doubt he's happy to end his career with a premiership medal, as it might be the case. So, I'm unsure about them resting players as claimed. If anything, Hawthorn withdrew players to avoid suspension prior to the finals, with a large amount of press dedicated to demerit points hanging over the heads of most of their major players.

I don't believe RL will intentionally rest anyone...he will take caution in managing injuries, of course. I guess we'll see if Ball returns this week!

markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Didn't all 22 have a rest in the second half against Adelaide?

Certainly did in the fourth quarter.
Add all those end of quarter slow downs up over a season and you begin to see why those that boo are total tools.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Well you can celebrate that. At the moment Geelong can celebrate a flaf 3 years ago. I know which one is more important.
The 2009 flag is the only thing that matters.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely no doubt in my mind as to the benefits of resting players.

Another benefit, as well, when resting players, is that you give game time to more of the list which enables them to be more prepared when/if they're called upon as opposed to bringing in a footballer who hasn't played senior footy for a few months.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

Well you can celebrate that. At the moment Geelong can celebrate a flaf 3 years ago. I know which one is more important.
Hawthorn can celebrate a flag just under a year ago, how many supporters/players or people involved do you think are actually entertaining that fact?

Saintschampions08
Club Player

OLB wrote:Absolutely no doubt in my mind as to the benefits of resting players.

Another benefit, as well, when resting players, is that you give game time to more of the list which enables them to be more prepared when/if they're called upon as opposed to bringing in a footballer who hasn't played senior footy for a few months.
And less game time to the same 22 players playing together each week...

Try playing any sport with people you don't know well, and then see how you go playing with people you've played with before.

Continuity is a big part of success..

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

As I said on a previous post (which included this article of Crawford's), balance is the key. It's no good having 22 blokes who know each other backwards who are all exhausted/carrying injuries and it's also no good having 22 blokes who are fully fit and fresh who don't know each other from Adam.
It's a matter of finding the best balance between the two, which produces the best outcome. No-one said it's easy, though.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Saintschampions08
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:As I said on a previous post (which included this article of Crawford's), balance is the key. It's no good having 22 blokes who know each other backwards who are all exhausted/carrying injuries and it's also no good having 22 blokes who are fully fit and fresh who don't know each other from Adam.
It's a matter of finding the best balance between the two, which produces the best outcome. No-one said it's easy, though.
I listened to the commentators countless time explain how the saints were playing for each other, and every time the ball was contested they expected a player to be their to help, and 90% of the time he was.

16-0...you'd think we have struck the balance, however Gards and Ball were omitted this week...however you put it, both are part of our best 22.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:

Try playing any sport with people you don't know well, and then see how you go playing with people you've played with before.

I can name a sport right now where resting players is not only common place, but you would be seen as backwards if you don't do it.

Players in this sport, too, don't expend even half the energy of an AFL footballer yet resting players is still a major part of the game.

Our core have spent season after season with each other and have grown up at the same club, don't tell me they don't know each other. In any case, the majority of team chemistry is built in training running drill after drill, and not during the two hours of a game.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

OLB wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

I can name a sport right now where resting players is not only common place, but you would be seen as backwards if you don't do it.

Players in this sport, too, don't expend even half the energy of an AFL footballer yet resting players is still a major part of the game.

Our core have spent season after season with each other and have grown up at the same club, don't tell me they don't know each other. In any case, the majority of team chemistry is built in training running drill after drill, and not during the two hours of a game.
What sport?

The problem is training will never replicate a match. How many times have you seen Gardiner tap out and for Hayes to know exactly where to run? That can be practiced at training, but in principle will rarely happen unless practiced on match day.

How much better does Dawson look offensively than he did at the start of the year? I suppose 4 months of playing in the same team does that to you.

How many times do you see (eg: 3 crows players spoil for the same ball, roo waits out of the pack, grabs the ball and kicks a goal) something like that happen to us?

The last 4 years our problem has majorly been continuity and now you are overlooking it, look at the major difference between last year and this...watch how many times the ball lands at a pack and 3+ players are ready to take it and run.

Sure this is massively due to confidence and an ability to run more (major factor) then last year, but as Zac knowing that when you spoil it a Blake, or Fisher, or Gilbert will run and chase the ball (where our players at least looked as if they ran less last year)... results in a better outcome.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:Win first week of the final and give the whole team a week off

Ross Lyon is a very smart man

well done Ross
smartest thing said so far....i remember hearing also that sides like geelong and the bulldogs i think are increasing their workloads so that they can peak during the finals... us on the other hand are having light training sessions focused on recovery while we go all out on match days...so this may be the reason why they might be 'resting' a few of their players and us not having too.....