Western Bulldogs circle stricken Saint Kilda - The Aust

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Western Bulldogs circle stricken Saint Kilda - The Aust

Oh please....enough of the dramatics!

However, the only thing I glean from this article is that I didn't realise Gardiners injury was a couple of weeks?

THE greatest threat to St Kilda's unbeaten season, on evidence released yesterday, appears to be the Saints themselves.

Fresh from crushing Adelaide after holding off Geelong a fortnight ago, the Saints face another challenger in the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night. But this time there is a catch.

With full-back Zac Dawson and key forward Justin Koschitzke almost certain to miss the game courtesy of suspension and lead ruckman Michael Gardiner struggling with a leg injury, St Kilda seems likely to field its weakest side for the year against a premiership threat.

While Koschitzke was a chance to miss the highly anticipated encounter with split webbing regardless of yesterday's finding by the match review panel, the citing of Dawson is a blow to St Kilda's defence.

The panel offered Dawson a two-match ban, which can be reduced to just Saturday night's game with an early guilty plea, for rough conduct against Crow Brad Symes during the second quarter of Sunday's 57-point win, the Saints' 16th for the year.

Koschitzke, who has kicked a career-high 36 goals this season in a lead support role of skipper Nick Riewoldt, is ineligible for a reduction on a one-match ban for striking Richard Douglas during the third term of the match due to a poor disciplinary record.

Gardiner, who was a late withdrawal from the Adelaide clash with what St Kilda coach Ross Lyon described as a corked calf, had scans on the leg yesterday and is considered doubtful.

If Gardiner fails to overcome the problem, the Saints will consider sharing the duties between Steven King and Ben McEvoy, who had four kicks and 19 hit-outs between them against the Crows.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 06 Apr 2010 1:45am, edited 1 time in total.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If someone told me at the start of the year that Michael Gardiner and Zac Dawson not playing a game of football would be a massive loss for St Kilda, I would've flat-out laughed in their face.

Amazing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

max can cover zac's spot and, imo, goose is okay as a like-for-like replacement for kosi (who hasn't contributed an awful lot the past fortnight in any case).

king and mcevoy held their own last week without gardi.

we have a six-day break as opposed to the bulldogs' eight days, so it's definitely a challenge ... but we've overcome many this season.

Courtney Walsh and Greg Denham

THE greatest threat to St Kilda's unbeaten season, on evidence released yesterday, appears to be the Saints themselves.

Fresh from crushing Adelaide after holding off Geelong a fortnight ago, the Saints face another challenger in the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night. But this time there is a catch.

With full-back Zac Dawson and key forward Justin Koschitzke almost certain to miss the game courtesy of suspension and lead ruckman Michael Gardiner struggling with a leg injury, St Kilda seems likely to field its weakest side for the year against a premiership threat.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 06,00.html

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Is Max a certainty though? Maybe Goose is finally a feasible option if not. I'm concerned about Gwilt's speed around the ground (but clean disposal makes up for it), but he'd have to be looking a chance with Kosi out.

Ball's got to be unlikely too, you'd think. Sounds like a good chance to 'lighten up' the team for a fleet footed Bulldogs challenge. What shape have Armo and Miles been in at VFL level?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Matey... they can shut us down if you post the whole article and/or don't include a link to the original story. ;)
better tell that to the cut n paste king

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon's resolve not to rest his stars has been thwarted by suspensions to two key players. Forward Justin Koschitzke and defender Zac Dawson must serve one-game penalties even if they plead guilty to video charges.

Koschitzke's loss presents the ladder leader with an opportunity to promote Matt Maguire for his 100th game.

Maguire has kicked goals as a key forward with VFL affiliate Sandringham this season during his wait to try to break into the unbeaten Saints side.

His most recent AFL game was in Round 7 last season before stress fractures in his left foot forced him out for the rest of the year.

Another option to cover Koschitzke's absence is moving Jason Blake from his backline role to become a tall forward option alongside skipper Nick Riewoldt against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night at Etihad Stadium.

Experienced defender Max Hudghton is a ready replacement for Dawson.

Hudghton has recovered from a badly sprained right ankle three weeks ago and trained with Sandringham on Sunday when the Zebras had a bye.

St Kilda will consult its legal advisers today before deciding whether to challenge the Koschitzke and Dawson cases at the AFL Tribunal tonight.

Koschitzke's poor record means he's stuck with the one-game suspension even with an early guilty plea for striking Adelaide's Richard Douglas in the third quarter on Sunday.

And Dawson will also be forced to sit out the clash with the Bulldogs after being cited for rough conduct against Crow Brad Symes in the second quarter at Etihad Stadium.

The Saints will wonder whether it's best to rest Koschitzke in Round 16 next season. This is the third consecutive year he has copped a suspension in the round.

He served one match for striking Hawthorn ruckman Robert Campbell in 2007 and one for striking Hawk Michael Osborne last season.

The 54.69 demerit points carried over from the Osborne offence and a 20 per cent loading for the priors pushed Koschitzke's tally to 204.69 and a two-game penalty that can be halved by the discount for pleading guilty.

His crude spoiling attempt on Douglas was assessed by the match review panel yesterday as reckless conduct with low impact.

Dawson drew 225 points and a two-match sanction after his off-the-ball shepherd on Symes was assessed as reckless conduct, with medium impact to the body.

The enforced rest for the duo compounds the disruption to the Saints' big-man stocks.

Ruckman Michael Gardiner missed Round 11 against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium for striking Melbourne counterpart Mark Jamar and, the following week, teammate Steven King accepted a four-match penalty for rough conduct against North Melbourne's Sam Power.

Gardiner, a late withdrawal against Adelaide because of calf soreness, is ready to return and Koschitzke's split webbing to his left hand wouldn't have prevented him from playing against the Bulldogs.
Seems like The Australian knows something that The Herald-Sun doesn't

Another opportunity awaits!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

How could anyone interpret Zac's shepherd as "off the ball". The guy had been standing the mark for crying out loud.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Agro big men might be a good sign for us...agro talls and success seem intrisically linked! Big Carl belted everyone in sight in the late 60's, Plugger in the early 90's, Everitt, Hall and Vidovic took turns being suspended each week of the late 90's, now Kosi, King and Gardiner...maybe it's a way off keeping them in the game with a suspension round robin? :?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Can someone tell me what the hell rule Zac broke ?? :? :?

He delivered a fair bump to a guy within 5 metres of the ball carrier?
I still don't get why that is reportable.

I can wear Kosi's, it wasn't much of a hit, but it was stupid and intentional,
but I honestly can't see what Zac has down to warrant a report other than lay a great bump to shepherd a team-mate.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

19.2.2 Specific Offences
Any of the following types of conduct is a Reportable Offence:
(a) intentionally, recklessly or negligently making contact
with or striking an Umpire;
(b) attempting to make contact with or strike an Umpire;
(c) using abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene
language towards or in relation to an Umpire;
(d) behaving in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene
manner towards or in relation to an Umpire;
(e) disputing a decision of an Umpire;
(f) use of an obscene gesture;
(g) intentionally, recklessly or negligently:(i) kicking another person;
(ii) striking another person;
(iii) tripping another person whether by hand, arm,
foot or leg;
(iv) engaging in Time Wasting;
(v) Charging another person;
(vi) throwing or pushing another Player after that
Player has taken a Mark, disposed of the football
or after the football is otherwise out
of play;
(vii) engaging in rough conduct against an opponent
which in the circumstances is unreasonable;

Has to be the highlighted area.

Surely you would argue 'in the circumstances is unreasonable"

Once the umpire called playon crow player was no longer on the mark and should be expected to possibly receive contact via a shepard or block.

saint4life
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

To return to the original topic, I have to say that this article is one of the silliest I have read in a while.

I particularly loved this line

If Gardiner fails to overcome the problem, the Saints will consider sharing the duties between Steven King and Ben McEvoy, who had four kicks and 19 hit-outs between them against the Crows.

I'm sure the process of considering whether or not to go with King and McEvoy if Gardiner is injured will take seconds if not nanoseconds!!

And, as the OP noted, the headline is melodramtic to the point of being comic. Even if Kosi, Dawson and Gardi are all out on Saturday night, I think the Bulldogs will still have plenty to worry about.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote: Even if Kosi, Dawson and Gardi are all out on Saturday night, I think the Bulldogs will still have plenty to worry about.
Like, if they watched our game on Sunday, they'll probably be wondering if they'll ever get the ball out of our forward line! (Especially since we beat them in a canter earlier in the year).
And all this talk about the 6 day break would be relevant if we'd had a tough game on Sunday, but the second half was like a training drill and a slow one at that, once they started playing "keepings off" (apparently to "conserve energy" (Ross Lyon) according to Sam Lane's article in yesterday's Age- which was a pretty smart thing to do.)

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

To be fair it probably will be our weakest squad - but they're hardly blows that will swing the game away from us.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
meher baba wrote: Even if Kosi, Dawson and Gardi are all out on Saturday night, I think the Bulldogs will still have plenty to worry about.
Like, if they watched our game on Sunday, they'll probably be wondering if they'll ever get the ball out of our forward line! (Especially since we beat them in a canter earlier in the year).
And all this talk about the 6 day break would be relevant if we'd had a tough game on Sunday, but the second half was like a training drill and a slow one at that, once they started playing "keepings off" (apparently to "conserve energy" (Ross Lyon) according to Sam Lane's article in yesterday's Age- which was a pretty smart thing to do.)
It's just RL...

Almost every week he pumps up the opposition, Adelaide is in better form, Geelong are the benchmark, Eagles at Subi...Bulldogs and an 8 game break...

Keeping the players and everyone involved level-headed.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Saintschampions08 wrote:
It's just RL...

Almost every week he pumps up the opposition, Adelaide is in better form, Geelong are the benchmark, Eagles at Subi...Bulldogs and an 8 game break...

I know, but at some point in time everyone will see through it, if they're not already. He could take it too far, if he's not careful. It may have been best to say nothing. Or, as we had such a dominating win, this may have been the week to get on the front foot and say "hey, we're confident, we took it easy in the second half, we beat the Bulldogs easily earlier in the year, so we're ready". That may have been the last thing the Doggies wanted to hear.
They would have watched our game on Sunday intently, knowing that Adelaide, like them, were beaten easily by us earlier in the year, but that Adelaide, like them, are seemingly going much better now. They may have been pretty shattered to see us completely "obliterate" them.
Ross saying over and over again since, that "they've had 2 days more to prepare for this week" may have taken their minds off how easily we beat Adelaide, and more on to how we may be underdone. That may have given them hope than they didn't have at the end of our game on Sunday night. If so, we didn't need to give them that.
Aker showed, when the Lions were at the top of their game, that it can actually pay off to get on the front foot during the week and say "hey, we're going to beat them" instead of talking s*** that everyone knows is s***. You could "beat them" before you even step out onto the ground. I'm not suggest he be arrogant, just honest. It wil make him stronger.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintlee
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:
It's just RL...

I know, but at some point in time everyone will see through it, if they're not already. He could take it too far, if he's not careful. It may have been best to say nothing. Or, as we had such a dominating win, this may have been the week to get on the front foot and say "hey, we're confident, we took it easy in the second half, we beat the Bulldogs easily earlier in the year, so we're ready". That may have been the last thing the Doggies wanted to hear.
They would have watched our game on Sunday intently, knowing that Adelaide, like them, were beaten easily by us earlier in the year, but that Adelaide, like them, are seemingly going much better now. They may have been pretty shattered to see us completely "obliterate" them.
Ross saying over and over again since, that "they've had 2 days more to prepare for this week" may have taken their minds off how easily we beat Adelaide, and more on to how we may be underdone. That may have given them hope than they didn't have at the end of our game on Sunday night. If so, we didn't need to give them that.
Aker showed, when the Lions were at the top of their game, that it can actually pay off to get on the front foot during the week and say "hey, we're going to beat them" instead of talking s*** that everyone knows is s***. You could "beat them" before you even step out onto the ground. I'm not suggest he be arrogant, just honest. It wil make him stronger.
I don't think so....you're creating a scenerio that doesn't exist, RL's comments will not impact the game at all, its simply expectation-management, he's been doing it all year.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
It's just RL...

I don't think so....you're creating a scenerio that doesn't exist, RL's comments will not impact the game at all, its simply expectation-management, he's been doing it all year.
Exactly, if we lose a close one this week, he can pin it on the 2 days extra they had. Sure, it's an excuse, but like he said .. its statistically proven.

If you think the doggies are going to change their opinion on us because they've had 2 days extra break, well, your wrong.

bozza1980
Club Player

saintlee wrote: I don't think so....you're creating a scenerio that doesn't exist, RL's comments will not impact the game at all, its simply expectation-management, he's been doing it all year.
Spot on.

maz1685
Club Player

I think another reason for RL's constant underdog comments is to also drill it to the team that there is no easy game, I reckon he publicly points out the challenges so the boys don't get content and think they can just win, it's like he's saying 'ok, they have a big advantage here so you guys have to put in extra effort'. It sort of the opposite of Mark Thompson last year (I know he's irrelevant but helps in my point), he said after the GF loss he was just waiting and expecting things to fall into place, and they didn't, so I think it's good that Ross points out the disadvantages.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

maz1685 wrote:I think another reason for RL's constant underdog comments is to also drill it to the team that there is no easy game, I reckon he publicly points out the challenges so the boys don't get content and think they can just win, it's like he's saying 'ok, they have a big advantage here so you guys have to put in extra effort'. It sort of the opposite of Mark Thompson last year (I know he's irrelevant but helps in my point), he said after the GF loss he was just waiting and expecting things to fall into place, and they didn't, so I think it's good that Ross points out the disadvantages.
Exactly, the major downfall of Geelong over this year and last year is the competitions decline.
The same as Federer of '08 and '09. They've had no real competition up to now, so they havn't had to try to get better or worry about other teams, when it hit them that they needed to improve - it was far too late.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Most doggies supporters I have heard, have been dissapointed that they cannot test themselves against a full strength Saints side. So what does that mean if we win? 8-)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Most doggies supporters I have heard, have been dissapointed that they cannot test themselves against a full strength Saints side. So what does that mean if we win? 8-)
It means we've won 17 in a row.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
aussierules0k wrote:Matey... they can shut us down if you post the whole article and/or don't include a link to the original story. ;)
better tell that to the cut n paste king

i always post who wrote the story smartarse.....and if you knew your journos ...or used your brains.....and knew your papers you would realise i only copy from the three main footy newspapers published on the eastern seaboard......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.