Darren Glass wins mark of the week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Darren Glass wins mark of the week

How the hell did Darren Glass win mark of the week over both Riewoldt's running goalsquare mark and Gardy's winning grab from last week????

Absolutely pathetic selection! Darren Glass's mark wasnt even a good one! No idea how it won... :evil: :evil: :evil:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

not enough people - SAINTS- got on and voted- maybe another sign of the complacency winning is giving some :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Darren Glass wins mark of the week

thirty-seven!? wrote:How the hell did Darren Glass win mark of the week over both Riewoldt's running goalsquare mark and Gardy's winning grab from last week????

Absolutely pathetic selection! Darren Glass's mark wasnt even a good one! No idea how it won... :evil: :evil: :evil:
I think it is done of voting so I would blame Saints supporters who didnt vote. I hope you did.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Surely he cant win now

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

He would be shattered if he didnt win it :)

Before Im 85
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Re: Darren Glass wins mark of the week

plugger66 wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:How the hell did Darren Glass win mark of the week over both Riewoldt's running goalsquare mark and Gardy's winning grab from last week????

I think it is done of voting so I would blame Saints supporters who didnt vote. I hope you did.
Yeah i guess ur right... and i did vote... it just seemed amazing that he wouldnt win it for that mark... that being said, i am probably a bit biased... :P

Raven
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:He would be shattered if he didnt win it :)
It certainly would have broken his spirit 8-)

ThomasR
Club Player

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ea ... 22792.html

IT SHOULD now be known as mark-gate: the moment Michael Gardiner's chance of winning mark of the year was jeopardised by a Facebook campaign.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

So what?

To them I say team success is what its all about at St Kilda.

And then I'd wish them all the best as they tank their way to September like the grubby cheats they are.

See you next year, Weagles. You'll be bottom four for years yet.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Well next time we are up for one of these awards best WE get a link off the Club Facebook page eh?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

they do usually put it up

Michael Gardiner is uP again this week- for rd 15

afl.com.au
mark of the week link

pS; we have not had an army award nomination since rd 5- are they just getting too used to the Saints doing it every week.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/wh ... 22792.html

When Eagle flies, soaring Saint misses out
Samantha Lane | July 15, 2009

IT SHOULD now be known as mark-gate: the moment Michael Gardiner's chance of winning mark of the year was jeopardised by a Facebook campaign.

"What? He didn't win mark of the round?" Greg Hobbs, the co-author of 100 Greatest Marks said yesterday upon being informed of the result of the weekly fans vote that led to Darren Glass' round-14 grab being favoured over Gardiner's match-definer against Geelong.

"Gardiner's was one of the greatest pressure marks I've ever seen. It's not the greatest mark I've seen — I've seen guys go higher and all that sort of stuff — but as far as pressure goes it couldn't have been topped. It ranks with (Leo) Barry's. One saved the game and one won it."

But speccy-loving footy fans, as they do each week, voted with their fingers. 56 per cent of the round-14 vote went to Glass who, in the final term in a match against Melbourne, sailed high over Russell Robertson. Gardiner, the hero of St Kilda's thrilling victory of Geelong after he soared across a pack with just a minute remaining, won just 32 per cent. Fellow Saint Nick Riewoldt got 12 per cent of the vote for his courageous opening-term grab while running with the flight of the ball.

Clearly still bruised from St Kilda's triumph over his beloved Cats, former Geelong forward Billy Brownless said last night: "I loved Darren Glass' mark. I thought it was fantastic, an outstanding mark. A lot better than Gardiner's mark and resulting goal."

After making the statement, Brownless admitted he had not seen the Eagle's grab. Conversely, Demon Robertson has been trying to forget it. He admitted he does not follow the award on a weekly basis, but said that if he had known his round-14 opponent was up for the accolade he would have logged on and voted for Gardiner.

"I just remember going 'what the hell is this?' and then it was an instant thought process of 'I deserve that.' I really think that Gardiner's mark was better," he said, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Saints coach Ross Lyon was surprised to learn last night that fans had favoured another high flyer over Gardiner. "I thought he'd be a certainty, at least now that I know mark of the round exists," he said, chuckling. "I'm shocked either of them were able to get off the ground and catapult themselves."

Fortunately for Gardiner, Robert Walls gets a weekly nomination for the Alex Jesaulenko Medal that will be awarded after the All-Australian selection committee has the final say after the grand final. If Walls' weekly vote differs from the public's, both nominations remain in contention. After round 14 he voted for Gardiner. "I remember the Darren Glass mark. It was a good mark, but gee it was nothing like Gardiner's. I'm amazed that they voted for that," he said last night. Further investigation revealed that West Coast's communications co-ordinator Anna Carew-Reid might be the reason behind Glass' triumph.

When contacted yesterday she said that on being notified of Glass' nomination she added a link to the voting page on West Coast's Facebook site, which, at last count, had 23,222 fans.

The affair caused AFL chief Andrew Demetriou to espouse the virtues of democracy last night.

"I saw the Gardiner mark," he said. "It was an incredible mark at that point of the game, and a great game. But far be it from me to interfere with the democratic process. If you ask the public to choose you have to respect what the public choose."

_------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well he now has support in the right places ...........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Sunday Red
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Well next time we are up for one of these awards best WE get a link off the Club Facebook page eh?
Posted on Saints Facebook at the start of last week!

St Kilda Football Club: Gardiner, Riewoldt in line for AFL Mark and Goal of the Year. Make sure you lodge your vote today and help get our Saints over the line! http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

But their facebook site has 23k members and ours has about 10k

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

It says if Robert Walls vote differs from the public vote, then they are both in contention.

So no need to worry.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Clearly still bruised from St Kilda's triumph over his beloved Cats, former Geelong forward Billy Brownless said last night: "I loved Darren Glass' mark. I thought it was fantastic, an outstanding mark. A lot better than Gardiner's mark and resulting goal."

After making the statement, Brownless admitted he had not seen the Eagle's grab.
That just proves what a flowering biased tool Brownless is...

I just can't stand the fat pr1ck

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well, we could always vote to avoid this happening again.

At this point of the season, it would have to be the best grab surely....given the circumstances and the pressure of the situation?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

After making the statement, Brownless admitted he had not seen the Eagle's grab.

I agree this is vital to how our year finishes up. If we dont win mark of the week because of Billy our year is stuffed.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

I agree this is vital to how our year finishes up. If we dont win mark of the week because of Billy our year is stuffed.
Yay, the real plugger66 is back!!!!! Where the hell have you been? :lol: