Remember the Crow Throw?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kate
Club Player

Remember the Crow Throw?

I think we saw the modern version last weekend.

In honour of the late Mollie Sugden I'll call it the Pussie Pass.

The player when tackled throws the ball out with a two handed short motion. It seemed to be deemed allowable by the umps on the weekend, so maybe our boys should be learning how to take advantage of the action like our opponents did.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

This is so true and they got away with it most times. Also ablett invented a way of lying on his back so not to get pinged

Before Im 85
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

From another thread I had called it the
double-handed-Cat-flickpass
But I like the Pussy Pass.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:This is so true and they got away with it most times. Also ablett invented a way of lying on his back so not to get pinged
Yeah , thought that was pretty amazing , Gets tackled , prior opportunity goes to ground ,, just because he lies on his back with the ball held up in the air , how is that a disposal ,,, gone !!!!

Didn't get missed by commentators.

What will be next from this club ?
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

VietNam_Saint wrote:
saintsrus wrote:This is so true and they got away with it most times. Also ablett invented a way of lying on his back so not to get pinged
Yeah , thought that was pretty amazing , Gets tackled , prior opportunity goes to ground ,, just because he lies on his back with the ball held up in the air , how is that a disposal ,,, gone !!!!

or feels a player close so drops the ball and throws arms out like a snow angel as he is flattened onto the ground face first- bigger back area to be seen by umpire-- then looks in amazement when it's not given- Goblett again.

I note recently that players really try and turn the player they are tackling onto their side as they go down to try and avoid the ' in the back'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
spert
Saintsational Legend

I was wondering why so many throws by the Cats were not being pinged..I notice how they got properly tackled, held the ball for ages (without penalty), then do some kind of short, sharp throw to release the ball, and it's play-on..go figure

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

VietNam_Saint wrote:

That incident by Ablett was very smart. Got tackled and IMO had no prior opportunity went to ground rolled on his back with the ball in air. Naturally a player goes for the ball but doesnt tackle the man so can never be holding the ball. The only problem is if you lose the ball. Very clever and if you have the strength a great idea.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 09 Jul 2009 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Pussy Pass has been part of their modus operandi for at least the last 3 years.

What took you guys so long to notice?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
VietNam_Saint wrote:

That incident by Ablett was very smart. Got tackled and IMO had no prior opportunity went to ground rolled on his back with the ball in air. Naturally a player goes for the ball but doesnt tackle the man so can never be holding the ball. The only problem is if you lose the ball. Very clever and if you have the strength a great idea.
he actually handed it to selwood....who then ran off with the pill.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
VietNam_Saint wrote:

he actually handed it to selwood....who then ran off with the pill.....
A few were trying to grab it but Selwood had the strength and of course Ablett wanted a Geelong player to have it not one of ours. Great idea but you would need a huge amount of strength.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A few were trying to grab it but Selwood had the strength and of course Ablett wanted a Geelong player to have it not one of ours. Great idea but you would need a huge amount of strength.
A huge amount of strength needed to take a ball that is handed to you?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A few were trying to grab it but Selwood had the strength and of course Ablett wanted a Geelong player to have it not one of ours. Great idea but you would need a huge amount of strength.
A huge amount of strength needed to take a ball that is handed to you?
I was talking about Ablett to roll over and hold onto the ball and only give it up to your player. Is that to hard to understand?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it against the rules to "hand" the ball to a team mate? I thought that the only legal way to pass the ball was via a handball or kick!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Isn't it against the rules to "hand" the ball to a team mate? I thought that the only legal way to pass the ball was via a handball or kick!
What's a 'minor technicality' like rules got to do with anything when discussing the abilities of GAblett?

Rules are only for mere mortal players, not gods like Gablett and Judd.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Handing the ball is against rules.
But then the steroid scalps at Geelong (Harley, Chapman, Ablett) are not required to play by the rules.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Moods
Saintsational Legend

How can it possibly be deemed a throw if someone rips the ball out of your hands? I actually thought it was brilliant. Is it possible for us supporters to love our team and still recognise the brilliance of the opposition? THe merit of our win only becomes so highly rated due to the opposition.

Harry Taylor intercepted a pass to Riewoldt on the weekend in the 3rd quarter by jumping early with one hand and palming it down. He then grabbed the ball and ran off leaving Roeey in his wake. I instinctively said more to myself than anyone else, 'brilliant play' - b/c it was!

I love the cats. I love what they have done to this competition. They have forced every club (including us) to play exciting daring tough football to beat them. I don't want them to win a flag again this year. It doesn't stop me from passionately screaming for the saints to beat them, but I reckon ppl should acknowledge just what the cats have done for our game, and how they have dragged it back from the stop/start scragging game it was becoming during the swans/WC era.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:How can it possibly be deemed a throw if someone rips the ball out of your hands? I actually thought it was brilliant. Is it possible for us supporters to love our team and still recognise the brilliance of the opposition? THe merit of our win only becomes so highly rated due to the opposition.
Simple, really! Because it is against the rules to hand the ball to a team mate. It's not the bloody NFL!
If an opponent does it then that is different and you lose possession.
But handing the ball to a team mate is considered an illegal disposal and should be penalised as such.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Except he didn't hand it to him. It was taken from him. B ig difference. The ball is wrenched from players hands numerous times during a game. I agree Ablett would have been more than happy to allow Selwood to 'take' the ball. Almost impossible to draw a fee kick from. A bit like a player whose intention is for the ball to go out of bounds, but is trying to disguise it. That's why it was brilliant instinctive play. If one of our blokes had done it, we would be applauding them for their initiative and quick thinking.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Except he didn't hand it to him. It was taken from him. B ig difference.
No difference at all! The ball moved directly from one Geelong player to another Geelong player without being handballed or kicked (or even knocked free).

That should be a free kick all day, every day (except last Sunday).

You are trying to argue that it was clever, brilliant play. You may be right as they got away with breaking the rules. But break the rules they did and, on another day, they may not be so lucky.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I would argue that players attempt to break the rules every week. Our players included. THat's the nature of the game - to push the boundary's until the adjudicator (the umpy) outlaws it. I can't see the umpy's outlawing this any time soon, due to the greyness of the action. If Ablett had shoved the ball into Selwood's arms I would agree.

Would you have been so dismissive of this action if it was Ball who had done it, and hayes had taken the ball away?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Would you have been so dismissive of this action if it was Ball who had done it, and hayes had taken the ball away?
Not at all...I would have said that we were lucky to get away with it.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough then :)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I would argue that players attempt to break the rules every week.
Indeed..and is one of the reasons the Dons under Sheedy would often pants us.

They would push the limits...and we stuck to being "fair'.

It is the same with there beinga player that you coud legally take out.

Too often Saints players in the past would not. One reason I love Zac Dawson is because if he can legally run througha player ...he will.

Aussie Rules has alwats beena game that players wil test the limits of the rules and interpretations...and if you don'y then you play at a disadvantage.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Except he didn't hand it to him. It was taken from him. B ig difference. The ball is wrenched from players hands numerous times during a game. I agree Ablett would have been more than happy to allow Selwood to 'take' the ball. Almost impossible to draw a fee kick from. A bit like a player whose intention is for the ball to go out of bounds, but is trying to disguise it. That's why it was brilliant instinctive play. If one of our blokes had done it, we would be applauding them for their initiative and quick thinking.
As you said happens quite often and well within the rules. If it taken out of your hands by any team it is ok. Certainly in this case no free and to honest i could never see how a free could be paid for taking it out of someones hands.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:As you said happens quite often and well within the rules. If it taken out of your hands by any team it is ok. Certainly in this case no free and to honest i could never see how a free could be paid for taking it out of someones hands.
You say you're an umpire?

Rule
15.3 Free Kicks Relating to Disposal of the Footbal
15.3.1 Correct Disposal
A Player Correctly Disposes of the football if he or she Kicks or Handballs the football.
15.3.2 Incorrect Disposal and Payment of Free Kick
When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who hands the football to another Player or throws the football.