Some Saints supporters make me sick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some Saints supporters make me sick

Was listening to KB today and he has a part were people ring up and have a say on any topic. One Saints supporter rang up and bagged Raph which i thought was pretty poor considering we had probably our best home and away win ever. I thought that may be the end of it but after an ad break at least 10 other saints supporters came on a bagged Raph. Only one Saints supporter rang up to defend him and worse than that a Carlton supporter rang up to defend him.

People may say we bag players on here as well but the big difference is this forum is probably read by 95% Saints supporters where as any supporter can listen to the radio and what impression does that give of our club than we all start having a go at a player after a great win. Even worse is that hardly any players may read this site but i would imagine plenty listen to SEN. How would Raph feel if he heard that rubbish.

Finally I think the supporters who rang up today would be like the some Hawks supporters are after last weekend. They would be the type if we won our second flag ever this year and happened to struggle next year would go and tip beer on one of our players instead of celebrating one our greatest achievements. If someone from here rang up I would love to know why you needed to have a go at one of our players 2 days after one of our greatest wins.

shmic_s
Club Player

i with you on this plugger. raph held his spot on the weekend.
it was a great game and a great win. watch him rip apart the eagles this weekend.......

degruch
Saintsational Legend

What the hell was wrong with Raph's game? Gawd some people are fucksticks.

I had to sit several rows in front of two tools (masquerading as Saints supporters) at the Port Adelaide game, who bagged Zac and Ray constantly, as loudly as possible...if they'd stopped they'd have noticed both players were having blinders.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Saints supporters make me sick

plugger66 wrote:Was listening to KB today and he has a part were people ring up and have a say on any topic. One Saints supporter rang up and bagged Raph which i thought was pretty poor considering we had probably our best home and away win ever. I thought that may be the end of it but after an ad break at least 10 other saints supporters came on a bagged Raph. Only one Saints supporter rang up to defend him and worse than that a Carlton supporter rang up to defend him.

People may say we bag players on here as well but the big difference is this forum is probably read by 95% Saints supporters where as any supporter can listen to the radio and what impression does that give of our club than we all start having a go at a player after a great win. Even worse is that hardly any players may read this site but i would imagine plenty listen to SEN. How would Raph feel if he heard that rubbish.

Finally I think the supporters who rang up today would be like the some Hawks supporters are after last weekend. They would be the type if we won our second flag ever this year and happened to struggle next year would go and tip beer on one of our players instead of celebrating one our greatest achievements. If someone from here rang up I would love to know why you needed to have a go at one of our players 2 days after one of our greatest wins.
for once i am 100 per cent in agreement with you.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Was listening to KB today and he has a part were people ring up and have a say on any topic. One Saints supporter rang up and bagged Raph which i thought was pretty poor considering we had probably our best home and away win ever. I thought that may be the end of it but after an ad break at least 10 other saints supporters came on a bagged Raph. Only one Saints supporter rang up to defend him and worse than that a Carlton supporter rang up to defend him.

sadly they are prob members here

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

I feel so warm and fuzzy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

:P 8-)

yipper
SS Life Member

That is a disgrace Plugger. To think this young man grew up an avid saints fan all his life. He was fine, showed composure and gave us some run off half back. Sheesh some people really need to get a life. This kid is trying hard to cement a spot in a powerful saints team and you'd think he just shot the pope!! Honestly. A huge victory over the daunting cats outfit, all players wearing the Red, Black & White jumper showed courage, and determination all day and this what they get for their trouble. Sheesh, just grow up some of you idiots.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you Plugger. That sucks. Some people have to complain no matter how well we do.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I will put my hand up and say I was wrong!

I was critical of the panels selection of Raph and thought he would struggle against the CATS - on the contrary he had a bloody good game and threw his body into every contest (something GRAM could learn from)....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

When asked for specifics as I have heard in the past, these gutless anonomous armchair critics cant come up with any.

I am sticking by my guns and still stating that a fair proportion of the insults I hear (not fair critisism - any player can be fairly critisised) are race based and nothing to do with him as a player.

Raph had a fair game on Sunday. On occasions it was white hot in our backline and he certainly played an integral part.

The unfair critisism is more insidious and hatefilled than I have heard for any other Saints scapegoat.

As I say NO player is not above critisism but when the critisism is unsubstantiated and hatefilled with the insults I have heard Raph called, it is much much more than scapegoating.
Last edited by joffaboy on Tue 07 Jul 2009 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand how players are above criticism.

Supporters, all supporters want a side capable of winning a flag and if they don't feel a player is good enough then they're allowed to have an opinion.

Raph looked panicky and nervous from start to finish.

Have a look at Rooke's goal in the last. Footy came to Raph and instead of gaining possession he decided to slap it forward. Rooke gathered and goaled. Raph had absolutely no composure at all in that instance.

Another moment in the third or fourth where Raph went up for a mark unchallenged and totally misjudged the flight of the ball and allowed the ball to run behind him.

Another moment he received the ball in the centre square, panicked, possibly threw the ball out and coughed up possession.

I have no trust in him to stand up when a game is on the line. He's like a deer in headlights, totally overcome by nerves.

Anyone who thinks he deserves to keep his spot after that performance has no idea IMO.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 07 Jul 2009 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batnoe

I think people forget at how naturally talented he is.

It may be the fact that he looks slow and mopes around, however seldom caught with the ball. Generally makes the right decisions. He reminds me of Jared Brennan, always looks slow and lazy yet always seems to turn games. raph has that ability but because he doesnt look very fast and nimble they assume he will turn it over or get caught with the ball.

I think they are grooming him for a HFF role and is learning a bit more in the backline. i love the kid and cant wait until he gets his body right again. Also cant wait for X to come back

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:I don't understand how players are beyond criticism.

Supporters, all supporters want a side capable of winning a flag and if they don't feel a player is good enough then they're allowed to have an opinion.

Have a look at Rooke's goal in the last. Footy came to Raph and instead of gaining possession he decided to slap it forward. Rooke gathered and goaled. Raph had absolutely no composure at all in that instance.

Another moment in the third or fourth where Raph went up for a mark unchallenged and totally misjudged the flight of the ball and allowed the ball to run behind him.

Another moment he received the ball in the centre square, panicked, possibly threw the ball out and coughed up possession.

I have no trust in him to stand up when a game is on the line. He's like a deer in headlights, totally overcome by nerves.

Anyone who thinks he deserves to keep his spot after that performance has no idea IMO.
he was better than Luke Ball who had a shocker. Better drop him as well then :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I don't agree with Raph's inclusion in our current 22, however I certainly believe he is capable of some great football, and I don't for one second think Raph, or any St.Kilda player, isn't giving their all when they run out in the red, white and black.

While I can understand some supporters frustration with Raph's prolonged development and slow decision making, I don't think using radio talkback to attack your, or any clubs players is acceptable.

Raph has tremendous potential and showed that at the end of 2008, unfortunately injuries and poor form have hit him again. There are definately strong arguments in favour of other players being in the side ahead of him, but the upside is if Raph in the side, he will eventually regain that great form and it can only be beneficial for the saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:I don't understand how players are above criticism.

And you dont understand the point of the post. I actually thought he struggled but after our best home and away win I wouldnt ring up a public radio station and bag one of our players. Makes our supporters sound stupid in the eyes of other supporters and worse still Raph could hear all that rubbish. These guys do have feelings.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It's pathetic.

We all know what he is capable of contributing when he puts it together... confidence is a big part of that.

The most any of these clowns have ever achieved at the footy probably involves the amount of pies and beer they have been able to ingest during a game.

yipper
SS Life Member

Interesting to see if Ross Lyon has any idea about the game then when he picks the team this week!! :roll:

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Anyone who thinks he deserves to keep his spot after that performance has no idea IMO.
1 You
0 Everyone else

Beej
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:

Interesting to see if Ross Lyon has any idea about the game then when he picks the team this week!! :roll:
Every club has this type of supporter.

The type who refuse to see a footballer's misgivings because they are blinded by the crest they wear on their guernsey.

Thank god coaches and assistants are a lot more ruthless when picking a side or else you'd have players getting a games because they're unfairly maligned or because they're top blokes.

Raph may be in the team next week, but if he is it is not because he performed well on the weekend, it's because there is nobody better to come in.

Lucky for Raph that Geary was totally anonymous so he would be first in line you would think.

kaos theory
Club Player

:roll:

What a stupid thing to say.

I don't think he had a very good game, he was ok. BUT this is typical of the over-reaction garbage I hear some supporters spew out.

Every negative incident, however minor that Raph commits causes some to go into an extreme rant. Any good thing he does is not noticed or quickly forgotten. Any other player that commits clangers doesn't even register in their closed minds.

This is typical selective memory process going on based on some prejudice about his ability.

Mate, you have no friggen idea.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Lucky for Raph that Geary was totally anonymous so he would be first in line you would think.
You mean Lucky for Luke Ball.

He was our worst player by a country mile.

Going on your logic - he should be dropped before Raph.

Anyway Geary is a mid and Raph is a back.

Know a bit about footy do ya???

Lance or James??

bob__71
Club Player

OLB wrote:
yipper wrote:

Every club has this type of supporter.

The type who refuse to see a footballer's misgivings because they are blinded by the crest they wear on their guernsey.

Thank god coaches and assistants are a lot more ruthless when picking a side or else you'd have players getting a games because they're unfairly maligned or because they're top blokes.

Raph may be in the team next week, but if he is it is not because he performed well on the weekend, it's because there is nobody better to come in.

Lucky for Raph that Geary was totally anonymous so he would be first in line you would think.
I think the mods should be able to ban posters for being wankers

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
:roll:

What a stupid thing to say.

I don't think he had a very good game, he was ok. BUT this is typical of the over-reaction garbage I hear some supporters spew out.

Every negative incident, however minor that Raph commits causes some to go into an extreme rant. Any good thing he does is not noticed or quickly forgotten. Any other player that commits clangers doesn't even register in their closed minds.

This is typical selective memory process going on based on some prejudice about his ability.

Mate, you have no friggen idea.
Exactly. Raph is not above critisism - no player is (hence my go at Luke Ball), it is the hysterical ranting and extreme hatred shown toward Raph that makes me think there is an ulterior motive to the hatfilled diatribes by some.

Something is afoot with the agenda by some supposed football followers and it hasn't to do with his football or his skills. You cant help think that there must be another reason for the extreme hatred.

Lance or James??

Beej
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
OLB wrote:Lucky for Raph that Geary was totally anonymous so he would be first in line you would think.
You mean Lucky for Luke Ball.

He was our worst player by a country mile.

Going on your logic - he should be dropped before Raph.

Anyway Geary is a mid and Raph is a back.

Know a bit about footy do ya???
Geelong replaced David Johnson with Matthew Stokes. David Johnson is a defender and Stokes is a forward.

And then they replaced Steve Johnson with Simon Hogan.

This is hardly a new phenomenon sweeping the AFL.

Seen a game before, son?

Ball 14 touches, 3 tackles.

Geary 4 touches, no tackles.

Generally speaking, a player needs to touch the footy to be involved in a game.