Jarryn Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jarryn Geary

Just putting it out there. IMO JG is in our best 22. Now everyone knows that younger players find it hard to last 22+ games and tend to tire and lose form. I also know it is a "team game" and noone should get special treatment (and all that old school garbage) but thinking unconventionally and also in the fact he is probably one of the lower paid players in our first 22 (possibly the lowest).

What say we think outside the square. Send him to a beach in QLD for 2 weeks. Let him re-fresh mind and body. As long as he eats right etc it wont hurt him much. And bring him back via Casey in round 18 for a fresh run at the last month of footy.

Thoughts/Comments?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Didn't do much. I do think a couple weeks in VFL may do him good.. But who do you bring in? I think Lyon would replace him with Eddy.. I think Lynch could be a good replacement.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Didn't do much. I do think a couple weeks in VFL may do him good.. But who do you bring in? I think Lyon would replace him with Eddy.. I think Lynch could be a good replacement.
steven/dempster/armo i guess.

i reckon sending him to vfl would be a waste of time. he needs a proper rest.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the club will rest a few players as soon as they have locked up a top 2 postion.

As far as sending them to a beach in Queenland well I know of a great place to send them in Cairns. I personally will take them out fishing on the reef.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I reckon the club will rest a few players as soon as they have locked up a top 2 postion.

As far as sending them to a beach in Queenland well I know of a great place to send them in Cairns. I personally will take them out fishing on the reef.
perfect!

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Eddy will get a run in place of JG.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I reckon Eddy will get a run in place of JG.
Yeah and you know what this would be another master stroke by RL. Eddy played the last 13 games last year including all three finals and he wasn't bad. He'll be fresh, motivated and he'll have a bit more experience for this finals campaign. He's got a bit of grunt too and that will come in nice and handy.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jarryn Geary

Con Gorozidis wrote:Just putting it out there. IMO JG is in our best 22.
i think it's pretty hard to put him definitely in our best 22. he's probably between 19th and 22nd of the current lineup, and it's so tight for spots down there that i wouldn't be comfortable asserting that he's definitely better than gwilt or eddy or maguire or armitage or raph or dempster or steven - all players pushing for those last few places in the side.

how about let's say he's definitely in our best 26ish?

but i agree that a rest would do him good, and i reckon a chance in the seniors might be great for eddy or armo - and for the team, if god forbid we get injuries in the midfield in the next ten weeks. (you know we will.)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

After 4 possies on Sunday and 6 two games before, I think it's fair to say a break, or some time in the VFL is definitely in order. For his, the teams and those busting a gut in the VFL's good.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:After 4 possies on Sunday and 6 two games before, I think it's fair to say a break, or some time in the VFL is definitely in order. For his, the teams and those busting a gut in the VFL's good.
Not going to worry about his good game 2 weeks ago? I know you must have seen Sandy for the last few weeks as you seem to always want a change so who should play?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I doubt Geary's tired. He's a very fit young player. I think he just struggles to have an impact in tighter contests like the Carlton and Geelong games. He's had reduced game time in both those games and our players weren't spreading the ball around as per usual. Most of our outside mids had down games against Geelong. Gram (17 touches), Schneider (13) and Ray (12) were all down on their usual output. We just weren't playing a run and carry type of game. I suspect he'll have more of an impact on a Subiaco game.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure how to deal with Gears...but in true Raph fashion, since he only had 4 touches, we should (a) all call up SEN and bag the crap out of him in public, or (b) start up an 'I Hate Geary' thread. :roll:

Sorry...I shouldn't hijack threads, but I couldn't help notice the irony.

Back to the OP, I think he may be the best target for a replacement, if Eddy has been performing well in the VFL, he may be a good replacement. Otherwise, I'm keen to see what Miles has got. A gig against the Eagles is probably a good place to start.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I doubt Geary's tired. He's a very fit young player. I think he just struggles to have an impact in tighter contests like the Carlton and Geelong games. He's had reduced game time in both those games and our players weren't spreading the ball around as per usual. Most of our outside mids had down games against Geelong. Gram (17 touches), Schneider (13) and Ray (12) were all down on their usual output. We just weren't playing a run and carry type of game. I suspect he'll have more of an impact on a Subiaco game.
why do you doubt it? its not about aerobic capacity. young players (under 21) have struggled to play out seasons forever and a day. they tire mentally and physically. michael voss came out and said it during the bye. there is every reason to think hes tired at this stage of the season.
its not just a geary thing. id say about any young player in the comp at round 14 (and dont go quoting me exceptions cos there is always exceptions).

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
vacuous space wrote:I doubt Geary's tired. He's a very fit young player. I think he just struggles to have an impact in tighter contests like the Carlton and Geelong games. He's had reduced game time in both those games and our players weren't spreading the ball around as per usual. Most of our outside mids had down games against Geelong. Gram (17 touches), Schneider (13) and Ray (12) were all down on their usual output. We just weren't playing a run and carry type of game. I suspect he'll have more of an impact on a Subiaco game.
why do you doubt it? its not about aerobic capacity. young players (under 21) have struggled to play out seasons forever and a day. they tire mentally and physically. michael voss came out and said it during the bye. there is every reason to think hes tired at this stage of the season.
its not just a geary thing. id say about any young player in the comp at round 14 (and dont go quoting me exceptions cos there is always exceptions).
What if they gave Jarryn a rest, and then he couldn't get back in the team? Happened with Renouf and Taylor at the Hawks, I certainly wouldn't be putting my hand up to take a "break"

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and by the way, I agree with some of your post. I raised a similar point the other day that the Adelaide Crows have found a balance in resting and playing first year players, it seems to work. It would just be SO unfair, if we gave Jarryn a rest and he couldn't break back in...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Oh, and by the way, I agree with some of your post. I raised a similar point the other day that the Adelaide Crows have found a balance in resting and playing first year players, it seems to work. It would just be SO unfair, if we gave Jarryn a rest and he couldn't break back in...
yeah hard balancing act. and no way he would put his hand up for it. it would have to be foreced on him by coaching staff.
but managing stuff always has its risks.
he might not break back in. but he might come back full of run. or somone else might go down with injury and a fresh jg comes in full of run. might be better for the team to have him as a fresh back up.

Richter
SS Life Member

The good thing is that we have players challenging for all positions....

Defence

Clearly Raph is under threat - most obviously from Dempster.

Goose is next reserve after Dawson/Max for a key position back spot.

Midfield

Armo seems to have played ok - though not tearing it up - in the 2s. Luke Ball is safe for now, but the fact is he only played under 50% of the game for 14 possies on Sunday - either he's injured or the coach has little confidence in him. Armo would be a like for like swap.

Geary has had a couple of down games - I could easily see him dropped for Eddy. Or even for Raph to move into midfield - which in the longer term I see as a natural progression for Raph.

Up front

Reserves are Gwilt, who is not quite up to it; Lynch - not ready; Reserve KP would be Goose.

---------------------------

All in all, I would not be surprised to see the following changes made over the next few weeks.......

King IN, Bennie Mac OUT

Eddy IN, Geary OUT

Dempster IN, Raph OUT

This leaves the dilemma of Max - no idea how he is fitted into the side on his return from injury. Perhaps he won't be fitted back in......?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Luke Ball is safe for now, but the fact is he only played under 50% of the game for 14 possies on Sunday - either he's injured or the coach has little confidence in him. Armo would be a like for like swap.
Slightly off point, but I was thinking about Ball's game time.

The guy is used as a battering ram.

I long since converted to the proper code, obviously but I recall rugby training drills involving tackling bags. Hit one, get up charge at another, hit it, get up. Run past a couple of guys bashing into you with kick pads. Hit another bag. Get up. Do it again. Over and over.

It was fair dinkum exhausting work and often more than one or two of us would lose our lunch for the exertion.

To be honest, I'm wondering if lack of game time is more indicitave of what Bally is being asked to do rather than whether his body is right or not?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Richter wrote:This leaves the dilemma of Max - no idea how he is fitted into the side on his return from injury. Perhaps he won't be fitted back in......?
Hard to say how soon they'll be facing this dilemma. Max's last injury was estimated at 3-4 weeks... ended up being 9. The ankle injury has been quoted as 2... might end up being 4.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:why do you doubt [that Geary's tired]?
Because his two down games happen to coincide with our two toughest games of the year. I believe his lack of output in those two games is more a product of his lack of time around the ball than physical or mental fatigue. If he plays against WC, my guess is he'll be closer to the 22 touches he had against Richmond than the 4 he had against Geelong.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:After 4 possies on Sunday and 6 two games before, I think it's fair to say a break, or some time in the VFL is definitely in order. For his, the teams and those busting a gut in the VFL's good.
Not going to worry about his good game 2 weeks ago? I know you must have seen Sandy for the last few weeks as you seem to always want a change so who should play?
That's right, one in the last three (with 10 possies in the other two), by someone who's only been in the team for a minute, and is only young, is ripe for a break. As someone else stated, he can hopefully freshen up (mentally and physically) and make an impact late in the year, rather than burn out and be of no use to us then. Or does that make too much sense?
It seems match committee has agreed, so are you going to write to them with a sarcastic comment? You don't have to be so scared of change. You're going to be OK, as will Jarryn.
As for who I'd bring in, I'd be happy to see Eddy have a run and Dempster is possibly an ideal match-up for Le Cras. It may be worth seeing how Miles went on someone like that, too. They may bring him in too make it easier for them to bring Max back, in a week or so.
Change is OK. Sure things can get worse, but they can also get BETTER. We're not as good as we can be yet.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jarryn Geary

Con Gorozidis wrote:Just putting it out there.

IMO JG is in our best 22.

Thoughts/Comments?
I guess we need to know what your best 22 is to comment.

I like Geary and believe he has a future,,,,,but in coming weeks King, Dempster and Max will all be trying to force their way back in.

Raph is also trying to prove that he is good enough...so far this year he has not...but Lyon is giving hima chance to see if he can recapture the 2008 finals form because that was very good.

Now King will displace Ben.

But Max?? The great form of Zac makers it likely that Zac wil stay. so one of Zac, Max or Blake would see destined to miss out if a full list is available....and particularly if Dempster squeezes his way back in. Dempster is good runner and nice long penetrating kick.

Someone is going to bery unlucky to be squeezed out...and at this stage it may well be Geary and raph.

So from now on pressure will be extra fierce to grab a spot.

Bakers hardness will probably kep him in despite his lack of pace.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
goodie
Club Player

I like Geary, but he has been quiet. Spell in the ressies isn't the end of the world, he'll get another shot.

I reckon Dempster will come in this week, if he returns to last year's form he'll be difficult to oust. Wouldn't mind seeing Eddy get a run though.

marksnsparks
Club Player

I hope Eddy gets a run too. Would be in our starting 22 if that stupid ump hadn't run into him in the preseason.

Having said that, I can't wait to see Dempster back...now he is definitely in our best 22.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:I like Geary, but he has been quiet. Spell in the ressies isn't the end of the world, he'll get another shot.

I reckon Dempster will come in this week, if he returns to last year's form he'll be difficult to oust. Wouldn't mind seeing Eddy get a run though.
I must say that I think Geary is a far better player than Eddy.

Eddy can run all day, and is probably a slightly better tackler than Geary (but Geary is good). But I reckon Geary is Eddy's superior in terms of accuracy of disposal, kicking on goal, winning contested ball, etc.

Eddy was a first choice player last season, but this year he has drifted back into the role of a backup. CJ and McQualter are now way ahead of him, and I think Geary is not to far from pulling away as well. Farren Ray has come into the team and cemented another spot for a hard running player. And then there's Armo, Steven and Miles waiting in the wings.

I reckon Eddy is at risk of losing touch with the peloton and I wonder if he shouldn't resing himself to playing a lot of VFL for the foreseeable future.

Watching him in his two (?) AFL appearances this year, I reckon the quality of his kicking is a real barrier to his making it at AFL level. He is inclined to launch high, ballooning passes which not only give opponents time to move in on the target, but also don't necessarily arrive at the right spot anyway.

This makes Eddy a serious risk of instigating turnovers, which he has done with a fair degree of regularity over his AFL career.

So, sadly, I'm not particularly surprised that - now that we have fewer injury problems - Eddy has tended to drift into the background. The challenge for him now is to seek to improve his skills and force his way back in.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift