Five Quarters In Three Weeks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Five Quarters In Three Weeks

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but is it a concern that we have won only 5 of our last 12 quarters?

Despite winning all three games against Carlton, Richmond and Geelong, we've not managed to win more than two quarters of the match.

This may highlight how when we've won quarters we've won them well, but I feel the Carlton and Geelong games could have been over had we won consecutive quarters.

Funnily enough, we've taken the 4 points in all three games, yet lost the final quarter by 4 points in all three games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Five Quarters In Three Weeks

Beno88 wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but is it a concern that we have won only 5 of our last 12 quarters?

Despite winning all three games against Carlton, Richmond and Geelong, we've not managed to win more than two quarters of the match.

This may highlight how when we've won quarters we've won them well, but I feel the Carlton and Geelong games could have been over had we won consecutive quarters.

Funnily enough, we've taken the 4 points in all three games, yet lost the final quarter by 4 points in all three games.
I certainly wouldnt be worried about this game as we have just played the best side in the AFL and lost the quarters by a very minimul amount.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

3 wins in three weeks.

Who gives a toss about irrelevant stats like that?

We lost three qtrs against Carlton and they never once got ahead of us in the who game and if it wasn't for Andersons idiotic rule for interchange we would have won by 2 and a half goals.

We lost two quarters against Richmond and won by ten goals.

We lost three qtrs against Geelong and still won by a goal.

It means we have the stingiest defence in the League by a mile. it measn we play for 15 minutes and score five goals and then we kill the opposition.

We have an updated and superior Sydney game plan that involves full field defence (best in the League by a mile) and a very good attack (third best in the League).

We also lost three qtrs to Essendon and won by three goals.

At 14-0 I am not worried about too much to be frank.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
undecided
Club Player

We should of won the last quarter against the cats. They got 5 straight and we got 4.2 and one out on the full. I can't believe geelongs accurate kicking kept them in the game.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

However, like Geelong, we have won 11 first quarters. The next best is 8. Geelong won three of the four yesterday, not much solace when you lose.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

It's a little bit like the "Hits" column in the baseball scorecard. The only column that matters in that sport is the "Runs".

Same here...
Yesterday's score line was:
St Kilda 14. 7 (91)
Geelong 13. 7 (85)

It is not:
St Kilda 91 - 1
Geelong 85 - 3

Last week we were jumped in the first and switched off in the last but still had seven scoring shots to six.
Against the Blues, we dominated the first and lost the second by a long way. We won the third and lost the last by four points.

Geelong have been the best side over the past three seasons and any win against them is a good win.

To be 3-0 the last three weeks and only win 5 quarters means that we still have improvement to come...And that must be scary for everyone else when we are 14-0 with a game and 25% clear of the competition.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I reckon this is a bit of a meaningless statistic. The quarters are only arbitrary way points in the overall journey of a match.

I mean, if you only ever choose to look at a game in segments, you could say that, on Saturday night, the Bulldogs had a strong second quarter - 4.4 to 0.4, but the Hawks came out strong after half time and clawed back some of those goals in the third quarter by scoring 4.2 to 2.4, before the Dogs pulled away again in the fourth quarter by scoring 4.5 to 2.3.

But all of this discussion is made rather meaningless by the fact that the Dogs had the game won with a nine goal lead at quarter time!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we had the game won in the first 15 minutes - we put the cue in the rack - looking at a long flight next week :wink:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Geelong win GF 39 quarters won to Saints 38. Actual GF score Saints 15.10.100 lose to Geelong 13.11.89.

bozza1980
Club Player

I agree, not much to really worry about, it is possibly one of the more overrated stats in footy.

We lost 3 quarters (by a combined 11 points) weighed up against winning the game. I'll take the win.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I'd be more worried if we won 3 of the qtrs & lost the game. :) I'm sure the coaching dept. would be well aware of it though & will have marked it as an area we need to improve on.