How'd you feel during those last 5 minutes?!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

How'd you feel during those last 5 minutes?!!

I was in serious need of oxygen, water, a lie down and a stiff drink!... not ashamed to admit I was pretty much a quivering wreck.

Being 3.5 up, then 2.5 goals etc... had me really dreading a 1 point loss.

But what a glorious win!... they would've really set themselves to put us back in our box, but no matter how often they floored it, they just couldn't get past....

Deep down they're now all thinking "oh cr@p..."

This game will never be forgotten.

Go Saints!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i was pretty much standing for alot of the game....

mate texted me and said: "draw?"
i coulda killed him....then im thinking about a draw and meeting again on the last day, and it being billed as the best game ever....and me being a nervous wreck.
what a game.....has to be right up there with us and the crows over here and harvs dominating in that final.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think I was too busy screaming and yelling to be nervous..but I do remember thinking that even when the Cats got a run-on..we still werent playing badly. Both sides were gettin plenty of the footy, Geelong just made good use of it for that 10 mins when they pulled close.

Feared for the stability of the roof when Gardy took that mark lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
yipper
SS Life Member

It was just a fantastic game. Everyone was on the edge of their seats and we all went up as one when Gardi pulled in the big hanger at the end - very similar to the TS40 goal some years back. The atmosphere was just sensational, the crowd roar for us was mighty - it was as if everyone has finally realised that the Saints are actually a damn good footy team, and started cheering for us!!! It should be like this at every game at the dome. I was just pumped at the performance of our team. Gardiner in the ruck was just superb - but Lenny Hayes and Nick Riewoldt were our leaders all day, just superb efforts from those two. We can actually win the flag - we now know we are good enough.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I was a tiny anxious when they started coming back, but then I felt quite calm with 5 minutes to go. The Saints of 2009 DO NOT roll over when everything is thrown at them....

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think that I'll be in standing room for the entire finals series/potential GF. Can just let more out of the system. Can go for 5 meter walk and compose myself slightly

However I might I have to go a little easier on the aluminium doors on the closed snack bars next time....

Great day! Sorry to the big guy next to me who was hugging me after the game and I was just yelling and punching him with delight. Scenes of pandamonium haha
Last edited by jonesy on Mon 06 Jul 2009 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.

Bring back the Lockett era
markp
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I think that I'll be in standing room for the entire finals series/potential GF. Can just lit more out of the system. Can go for 5 meter walk and compose myself slightly
I was standing too... there was a 'funny' moment when they kicked the equalizer and dozens of Saints fans as far as you could see (me included) turned and did that 5 meter walk.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I was a tiny anxious when they started coming back, but then I felt quite calm with 5 minutes to go. The Saints of 2009 DO NOT roll over when everything is thrown at them....
i know I absolutely love this fact - so many times this year, we've been under intense pressure and EVERY time so far we have stood up - its excellent practise for the finals because you need pressure to win finals!

That last five minutes was some of the best footy I have ever seen though. Not many clangers - just really good hard contested footy - two teams duking it out trying to get the ascendency.

What a friggen finsih though! EPIC!

megs4#31
Club Player

i walked around the house with 5 mins to go, came back in and it was equal, walked back out again and then back in. 2 mins to go. seriously felt like i was doing a workout my heart rate was that high! couldn't sit still, when gardy got that goal i was jumping around the room like crazy

Go saints, 2009 is our year!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Ah yes the 5 metre walk...Very rare for me not to do it a dozen times at a game like that :oops:

Those last few minutes when the scores were level was agony but the feeling of relief and sheer ectasy when Gardi took that mark...and the roar...still get tingles thinking about it... :shock:

Nothing beats the feeling about 5 minutes after awin like that ... 8-)

Kept punching the air ,patting the backs of fellow sainters and shouting YES...much to my wife and daughters embarassment..

Was a day to remember but today the enormity of pulling off the big one is still in front of us...

But we have as good a chance as anyone.

The mental toughness of this side gives us longtime followers something more than hope...

The 09 dream is very much alive :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I was on ground level.
Aisle 35, about 5 rows back from the fence.

And it was going absolutely nuts.

Quite honestly, it was the most intense home and away game I have ever been to. The sheer emotion over the last ten minutes was absolutely awesome.

Even if we had of lost, (which would have been shattering) it would still have been an awesome experience.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The similarities between that and the TS40 game were uncanny. leading all game,only to have the oppposition hit back late. I think Stokes' goal even came from the exact same spot as the lions late goal did (was it Luke Power?).

Standing room reminded of the early 90's blockbusters at Moorabbin. Remember the 91 draw against the pies? I remember when Harvey ran into the open goal and we all thought he kicked it,there was no room and people were just deliriously jumping all over each other....that's what yesterday was like.

Hugging strangers,photo's with strangers,one of the great moments

Bring back the Lockett era
Thomas
Club Player

Felt like I was going to have a heart attack, when Gards took the mark , I asked the fellow in front who was listening the game on the radio how long? he said do you want to know? I said yes and when he told me 1minute 28 I nearly collapsed.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Can you imagine going through that in a grand final? :? :? :?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I was a tiny anxious when they started coming back, but then I felt quite calm with 5 minutes to go. The Saints of 2009 DO NOT roll over when everything is thrown at them....
Brilliant summary. I was calm and confident (in regards to us winning, not vocally) for the entire match. This team has met every challenge placed in front of them.

Even if Steve Johnson had played, this team would have stepped it up again an extra notch. That is what good teams and champions do. Remember, they did have a player out there for Johnson. It is not like they were down a player.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i felt sick in the guts for the whole match, briefly elated when we got 20 points clear in the last then sick in the guts again when they came storming back at us.

the siren was pure relief and joy.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i felt sick in the guts for the whole match, briefly elated when we got 20 points clear in the last then sick in the guts again when they came storming back at us.

the siren was pure relief and joy.
Every time we got out to a handy lead my mind would look too far ahead and I would begin thinking about the ramifications of a win. Then Geelong would come storming back and the ramifications of a loss would enter my mind.

I was extremely angry when Dal missed that shot in the dying minutes.

Also when Raph lacked composure and just slapped the ball forward instead of gaining possession (he had a lot more time than he thought) I was absolutely ropeable. Rooke goaled from that mistake.

Going into the game an honorable loss wouldn't have been a bad thing but in the context of the game that unfolded (being in front all day) I think it was one in which we really needed to hold on and win.

No1_Saint
Club Player

I felt sick most of the day waiting for the game to start...was even worse during the match.

I almost had a heart attack in the last quarter when they leveled the scores. And when Gardiner marked in front of goal to seal the game...my niece and I were literally jumping up and down. We haven't been that animated since the BL match in 2004.

Good times and happy days. :D :D :D

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I reckon 30,000 people wanted to murder Dal Santo after that miss, that would have probably sealed it with 15 minutes or so to go. Those 5 minutes were bloody heartstopping, to our credit we managed to peg it back every time!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

was tired i reckon....energy was prob super low.
was +ive he was gonna kick it tho lol

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I still have a headache and no voice at all today. I thought my brain was going to explode out of my head in the last quarter and thank god the noise was so loud because I couldnt believe half the things that I was yelling.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Twelve minutes into the last qtr I was saying to myself "one more to seal it...one more to seal it....one more to seal it.....one more to seal it......one more to seal it........."

ffs

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintDebi
Club Player

I take medication for high blood pressure, and I swear it was sky high throughout the game but especially in the last minutes. At one stage I was standing, screaming and I had a second there when I felt really odd and everything actually went black. Not an exaggeration. I musn't have looked too good because Hubby told me to sit down and take it easy but there was no way I was doing that! I remember thinking they better hurry up and get Taylor off that stretcher cos I might need it!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:I take medication for high blood pressure, and I swear it was sky high throughout the game but especially in the last minutes. At one stage I was standing, screaming and I had a second there when I felt really odd and everything actually went black. Not an exaggeration. I musn't have looked too good because Hubby told me to sit down and take it easy but there was no way I was doing that! I remember thinking they better hurry up and get Taylor off that stretcher cos I might need it!!

know how you felt deb...... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I admit, 2 mins to go I wanted the siren to go so we would not lose but the roar when gardiner marked it.....

my fav moment was gradiner marking it on the boundary and hearig someone behind me saying 15 secs! I knew we had it. Pure joy!!!!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith