Best part about today...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

James
Club Player

Best part about today...

It was a team effort.

Everyone gave their all, we didn't rely on any superstar efforts besides Gardiner dragging us over the line. Yes, we wouldn't have won without his pearler but usually we rely on 4 or 5 total superstars and little else from anyone. Only having to need one player stand up is very promising - when Gardiner isn't up to it, it might be Riewoldt or Kosi or Milne... see what I mean?

Apart from the best three in Hayes, Gilbert and Gardiner, I can't split who was the best out their today. Everyone was great. We had 5+ goals in difference squeezed out of the game by the umpires today, so this wasn't the struggle it looked like. We were better than them by miles.

Keep going Saints.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
busso mick
Club Player

As you say it was an even performance, one other thing which gives me great heart is that we were challenged a few times when the Cats vere surging and we had the poise to absorb the pressure and go on to win the game. That is very significant in terms of our team ethos.

saintDal
Club Player

Brownlow votes for this game will be interesting. A lot of good players but not a lot of standouts.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I disagree.....I believe we had half a dozen passengers today (easy to name).....but some herculian efforts by others.....Lenny Hayes for one...awesome player.......machine..

James
Club Player

saintDal wrote:Brownlow votes for this game will be interesting. A lot of good players but not a lot of standouts.
Top three will be Gilbert, Hayes and Gardiner in any order. It was an entirely even field past those three.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I disagree.....I believe we had half a dozen passengers today (easy to name).....but some herculian efforts by others.....Lenny Hayes for one...awesome player.......machine..
okay - name them, i can't! geary was quiet, but 1/2 dozen?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:I disagree.....I believe we had half a dozen passengers today (easy to name).....but some herculian efforts by others.....Lenny Hayes for one...awesome player.......machine..
geary, yeah. mcevoy beaten. maybe also ray? milne? that's about as far as i can get.

bungiton
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
geary, yeah. mcevoy beaten. maybe also ray? milne? that's about as far as i can get.
Geary spent at least a major portion of the first three quarters sacrificing his game, running up the ground to drag harley out of defense. Notice how uncongested our forward fifty was?? how they didnt have Harley drifitng across to chop out and two team our forwards???

Given this oppotunity, Roo and Kosi smashed their respective opponents, and Geary did have valuable possessions and tackles up the ground.

Sometimes, hell a lot of times, footy isn't just scored on a stats sheet, its the things yo do when you don't have the ball that determine the outcome of many games.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
robbo_25
Club Player

I felt we won the game on the 'one-percenters'.
So many of our boys kept on going in contests and provided 2nd, 3rd, 4th efforts which got us across the line along with the heroic acts throughout the match.

robbo
felixleo
Club Player

Mini and Geary both took Harley out of play at times. No passengers today all did their assignments as shown by the result.

Are you gonna be the one?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

felixleo wrote:Mini and Geary both took Harley out of play at times. No passengers today all did their assignments as shown by the result.
how about milne?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

James wrote:
saintDal wrote:Brownlow votes for this game will be interesting. A lot of good players but not a lot of standouts.
Top three will be Gilbert, Hayes and Gardiner in any order. It was an entirely even field past those three.
I reckon Bartel and Selwood will get the 3 and the 2. Both awesome players and almost on par with Hayes for grit and determination. Would love to see them in a saints jumper.

Probably one for either Lenny or Gilbert.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I reckon everyone contributed today. Rapt that some on here have pointed out what Geary was doing - on MMM harley was voted third worst on the ground. His influence was crucial to negate due to the fact that our power fwds are our strength. Milney was a bit quiet but still had 10 possies and a crucial goal in the last 1/4 meant he contributed. McEvoy did what he could for a 19 year old kid playing his 7th of 8th game.

If anything I thought Luke Ball was poss our quietest and least effectual player. He was on Selwood for most of the game wasn't he? I thought Selwood ha a great game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I reckon everyone contributed today. Rapt that some on here have pointed out what Geary was doing - on MMM harley was voted third worst on the ground. His influence was crucial to negate due to the fact that our power fwds are our strength. Milney was a bit quiet but still had 10 possies and a crucial goal in the last 1/4 meant he contributed. McEvoy did what he could for a 19 year old kid playing his 7th of 8th game.

If anything I thought Luke Ball was poss our quietest and least effectual player. He was on Selwood for most of the game wasn't he? I thought Selwood ha a great game.
He couldnt have been on him to long. He only played 48% of the game.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I reckon everyone contributed today. Rapt that some on here have pointed out what Geary was doing - on MMM harley was voted third worst on the ground. His influence was crucial to negate due to the fact that our power fwds are our strength. Milney was a bit quiet but still had 10 possies and a crucial goal in the last 1/4 meant he contributed. McEvoy did what he could for a 19 year old kid playing his 7th of 8th game.

had a virus i think....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
milney044
Club Player

Hmm the best thing about the game... i could list many!

1. Geelong continuing to contradict themselves post match. "It's good to have a loss, we will benefit from this" "We're not bothered by the loss" and yet they go on and on about that one missed umpiring decision. If the game meant so little to you, what's with all the complaining!? Laughable.

2. Riewoldt's goal from 50. Superb. Riewoldt's marking in crucial stages. Riewoldt's engine. Ok, just Riewoldt, the guy is a freak! A few years back i almost thought he was overrated, now, i reckon he's the best captain in the game and we are bloody lucky to have him.

3. Mooney's free against in the final stages of the game sealed it for me. I hate the loony and it was great to watch him suffer.

4.Gardiner's influence. What a season he is having, I'm really appreciating Rossy Lyon for giving him some time.

5. Lenny Hayes. Game breaker. That last quarter he really stood up, do we not have the best Captain- Vice Captain combo in the comp??

Now, the only thing that would bring this game down is to lose in September. Keep up the streak boys.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jarryn Geary 2/10 - 4 possesions.......two points on Harley - Mini had him early doors and smashed him, and he spent a lot of the second half on the pine.

Ben McEvoy 2.5/10

Steven Milne 2.5/10

Farren Ray 3/10

Jason Gram 3/10

Luke Ball 3.5/10

Raph Clarke 4/10

High End - all played well or better
Sam Gilbert - 9/10
Lenny Hayes - 9/10
M.Gardner - 8.5/10
N.Riewoldt - 8/10
J.Blake - 7.5/10
B.Goddard - 7/10
N.Dal Santo - 7/10
J.Koschitzke - 7/10
S.Fisher - 7/10
A.McQualter - 7/10
L.Montagna - 6.5/10
A.Schnieder - 6.5/10
Z.Dawson - 6/10
C.Jones - 6/10
S.Baker - 5.5/10

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I meant he was on Ball whilst he was on the ground. Well if that's the case Plugger (that he only played 48% of the game) I sure hope that Stinger is right about Ball having a virus. Why, in our biggest game of the year would we have one of our toughest, most experienced players sitting on the pine for over half the game? I know what his role is, and it's a bruising role. How come Lenny manages to play more of the game though? (the guy that Ball often rotates with)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I meant he was on Ball whilst he was on the ground. Well if that's the case Plugger (that he only played 48% of the game) I sure hope that Stinger is right about Ball having a virus. Why, in our biggest game of the year would we have one of our toughest, most experienced players sitting on the pine for over half the game? I know what his role is, and it's a bruising role. How come Lenny manages to play more of the game though? (the guy that Ball often rotates with)
I do agree it seems very low. Also means other play more than they actually want them to. He may have had a virus.