Looking Past Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Looking Past Geelong

While like all i cannot wait for the Geelong game it will be interesting to see what way the team goes for the following weeks game v WC in Perth. I know 1 week a t a time.
Regardless of the result I am expecting a very physical game and there will be a major possibility of a let down no matter what happens.

It may therefore be a good game to implement a couple changes to keep the enthusiasism and energy inthe team the following week. The guys in the 2's such as Armiateg, Maguire, R Clarke,Eddy etc will be chomping at the bit and it may stop the possibility of a rela mental let down and a loss which should never happen.

I have been one bemoaning those who say change for change sake but i see this as a potential issue.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i think changes for the game in perth will be a must.....
the game against the cats will surely throw out some sore bodies

aussiejones
Club Player

The RL mantra of why change has been good in the run up to Sunday . but sore bodies and the lessons learned from Sunday will be two good reasons to think long term as to what we will need come September.

Trying out some different guys also keeps faith and keeps our main group sharp as its a long season . Also it gives RL a good look at a wider range and the confidence to elevate should he need to come Sept.

Sunday will be a ripper but in context of the season yet to be determined.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure it will be almost a necessity after Sunday. It's a big space over there too, so there'll be a lot of running, we might need to introduce some light feet. The Weagles still have a young side due to injuries, although some pinch hitters like Cox will be back (Cox and Nic Nat will be an interesting combo to contain).

The week after is Adelaide at the Dome, if I remember correctly, for which it would be nice to have a full strength side back on the park.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I hope the Geelong match does not taking the wind out of us. I think the trip to WA is a danger match for us.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Saintschampions08
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:The RL mantra of why change has been good in the run up to Sunday . but sore bodies and the lessons learned from Sunday will be two good reasons to think long term as to what we will need come September.

Trying out some different guys also keeps faith and keeps our main group sharp as its a long season . Also it gives RL a good look at a wider range and the confidence to elevate should he need to come Sept.

Have you learnt nothing?

All year, the motto from everybody associated at the club has been that we are looking one week at a time, no further. Why do you think, he'll start looking to September now...

Give that impression to the players, and watch us repeat '04.

After Geelong i'd hope our focus would be 100% on West Coast, as they showed against the Hawks...their not a bad team, and at home they're even better..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Make no mistake WCE will be a very tough game but dont for one minute think changes will be made in order to rest players. They will be dropped or out injured. For some reason we all want to rest players all the time. Didnt they just miss a week 2 weeks ago. Anyway lets get over the Cats this week. It should be huge.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:i think changes for the game in perth will be a must.....
Hope you're wrong...looking fwd to seeing ALL the boys over here in the wild West

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
After Geelong i'd hope our focus would be 100% on West Coast, as they showed against the Hawks...their not a bad team, and at home they're even better..
With respect, the Hawks were appallingly awful... slow, skilless, predictable, lazy...

Dogs will kick a cricket score this week.

aussiejones
Club Player

"Have you learnt nothing?

All year, the motto from everybody associated at the club has been that we are looking one week at a time, no further. Why do you think, he'll start looking to September now... "

My point is RL would be doing long term planning for Sept whatever he says in the media or whatever lines the players trot out to the media. Its not about getting ahead of ourselves , but , having an eye for the future ie tweaking not change for the sake of it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:i think changes for the game in perth will be a must.....
Hope you're wrong...looking fwd to seeing ALL the boys over here in the wild West
i hope im wrong too Mr X.
i just think this game it'll be on, just going in hard...i expect lenny to be especially tough at the cherry this week.
i think it will be taken as important as a final.
saying that, everyone will get thru fine and be over in the West for u guys to see the streak go to 15 8-) 8-)

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
With respect, the Hawks were appallingly awful... slow, skilless, predictable, lazy...

Dogs will kick a cricket score this week.
Did you actually watch the game, you'd have seen the conditions...their was a storm their, with extremely strong winds swirling around...it was also raining for most of the 2nd half...
Skiless? That's a joke in those conditions.

Also, a forward line consisting of Frankling / Roughead... with Williams getting injured, in wet / extremely windy conditions, well it was always going to be tough, compared to WCE much smaller forward line.
aussiejones wrote:"Have you learnt nothing?

All year, the motto from everybody associated at the club has been that we are looking one week at a time, no further. Why do you think, he'll start looking to September now... "

My point is RL would be doing long term planning for Sept whatever he says in the media or whatever lines the players trot out to the media. Its not about getting ahead of ourselves , but , having an eye for the future ie tweaking not change for the sake of it.
Resting players 2 weeks after a break and getting a regular 7 days between games...that's getting ahead of ourselves. Besides, the competition in the AFL is too even to be willingly 'resting' players, we've played 26 players this year... 3 less then the next side, what could make you think that we'll be better in 3 months by resting someone now...they've barely played 3 months of footy...

I don't remember the last time Geelong has rested a player..sure, if the player is 85% fit...they won't play, but unless injured, i'd expect every one of our players to be 100%.

older saint
SS Life Member

I was not talking about "resting players" more managing players should they come up sore or fatigued.

Fresh blood can provide a spark and managing younger players can often involve sending them back to the 2's for a week - that is not a rest.

This will all become irrelevant should we have an easy win ( very unlikely) or injuries.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Saintschampions08 wrote:
aussiejones wrote:The RL mantra of why change has been good in the run up to Sunday . but sore bodies and the lessons learned from Sunday will be two good reasons to think long term as to what we will need come September.

Have you learnt nothing?

All year, the motto from everybody associated at the club has been that we are looking one week at a time, no further. Why do you think, he'll start looking to September now...

Give that impression to the players, and watch us repeat '04.

One week at a time is a good mantra. It plays well in the press, and makes a good focus for the players.

However.

If the coaching staff aren't planning with the entire season in mind, they're not doing their jobs. If they aren't at this stage working with the fitness staff to ensure that players are going to be fit for September, they're missing the point.

One week at a time tells us this weeks 4 points are no more or less important then last weeks or next weeks. The last 3 weeks of September, this changes entirely.

If we've learned one thing over the last 5 years, it's gotto be that you need your best team on the park in September.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Post Cats game???

I think Lyon has always been about building a Premiership team.

He has been aquiring players to fill roles and trying existing players in new roles...ie CJ...

So post Cats his focus will still be on that...but the Cat's game will providea new amount of data for him to think on and act on...just as the Hawks and Cats pumping of us last year did.

*** For example if the Cats small forwards cut loose in our backline...then with the Pies and Dogs all having sseveral small forwards Lyon may choose to tinker....ie Dempster and or Miles.

However with 14 games on...no doubt some empahis will be placed on fine tuning.

However 8 games is enough to still try any players he may wish to still test out such as Goose, Armo or Miles. and Depmpster when match fit..or those that he may wish to give another chance too...ie Rpah or Gwilt or Eddy.

King and Max will most likely come back in...so places in the 22 will be at apremium.

King will displace Ben...but bringing in max will push someone out...and not necessarly a defender.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

well the WA media are looking ahead

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cox-and ... -d7lt.html

Cox and Kerr to take on Saints
Tim Clarke
July 3, 2009 - 2:46PM
West Coast stars Dean Cox and Daniel Kerr are both on course to return to action in time to take on the juggernaut that is St Kilda at Subiaco next weekend - while denying any bad feeling from premiership cast-off Chad Fletcher who returns tothe side this weekend.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107