Goose Vs Mooney?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Goose Vs Mooney?

Could this be a possible match up for sunday...thats if Max doesn't make it.

Similar height and weight.

Mooney is out of form.

A big ask for the Goose to come in and take their key forward.

Zac could be better suited for Hawkins.

I'm not sure... could this be an option?
Last edited by Leo.J on Wed 01 Jul 2009 7:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goose Vs Mooney???

Leo.J wrote:Could this be a possible match up for sunday...thats if Max doesn't make it.

Mooney is out of form.

I dont think Goose has any chance of playing unless they dropped Ben McEvoy and rucked Blake which I doubt very much.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe Goose is mobile enough for Mooney.
Maybe he is for Hawkins.

But given that Max is possibly unlikely to play, Zac and BLake will probably get the 2 Geelong key forwards.

xander
Club Player

i think if goose plays he's more suited to hawkins. he has the bulk imo to play on him where as mooney might be a bit too mobile

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:Could this be a possible match up for sunday...thats if Max doesn't make it.

Mooney is out of form.

I dont think Goose has any chance of playing unless they dropped Ben McEvoy and rucked Blake which I doubt very much.
Who do you think wi come in for Max if he's out?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Mooney is out of form.

I think Armo will but the other 2 options seem to be Gwilt or Dempster. IMO Dempster isnt ready but the coach and fitness staff would know a hell of a lot more than me.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we might get a surprize this week in selection.

I don't think a tall is going to come in for Max.
I think we may see Armitage.

Geary moved down back to help out and Armo to take Geary's spot in the middle.
The bonus with this selection is that Armo is a physical type of mid (unlike Eddy) and would add some grunt in the packs to assist Lenny and Ball.

If there is a tall coming in, I think it will be a forward rather than a backman and, unlikely as it seemed 2 weeks ago, maybe it will be Lynch.

RL showed in last years elimination final against the Pies that he's prepared to be unconventional in selection at pressure times when he selected Allen. Unfortunately his injury very early in the game didn't allow us to see whether that selection worked or not.

But with Lynch as a third tall option on the forward line, Geelong's defense will have to decide whether they have his defender leave him to give double-cover on Roo. If they do, we would need to be smart enough to hurt them by using Lynch, who we've seen can take a good grab (at VFL level).

Also, Geelong wouldn't know much about him, unlike Gwilt or Raph - the other 2 options for that role.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I like the idea of Armo coming in, a tough midfielder would be handy against the Cats.

IMO opinion Mooney is a barometer for the Cats, when he's up their up to.

Their down weeks generally coincide with his bad kicking or a brain fade.

I think we need to make sure he doesn't have a major impact on the game, and I'm not sure anyone currently in the side can match it strength wise with Mooney.

Thats why Goose came to mind...

Statsman
Club Player

If Max doesn't come up, the key question is whether Zac and Blake can match up on Mooney and Hawkins. If so, you bring in Armitage as a extra midfield as we need depth their against Geelong. If not, you bring in Maguire as a key defender and play Blake on a smaller defender. The addition of Maguire also adds some flexibility as you could throw him forward as a "cameo" as some point in the game to upset their defense.

As I see it, the game will be wo

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Statsman wrote:...The addition of Maguire also adds some flexibility as you could throw him forward as a "cameo" as some point in the game to upset their defense...
Goose could be handy as a third tall up forward, his defensive pressure would be a handy attribute you would assume...

The question is can he just slot in to our forward structure this easily...and our defensive structure also I suppose.

Goose is a big risk...but sometimes not taking a risk is a risk.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I think if Max plays then he MUST play on Johnson-i Beleive he will destroy Stevie J if he plays on him

Zac takes Hawkins

Blake Takes Mooney (Mooney isnt very good anywya)

Baker Takes Stokes

Ray gets Varcoe and tries to proivde some run

Fisher gets Chappy

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Statsman wrote:...The addition of Maguire also adds some flexibility as you could throw him forward as a "cameo" as some point in the game to upset their defense...
Goose could be handy as a third tall up forward, his defensive pressure would be a handy attribute you would assume...

The question is can he just slot in to our forward structure this easily...and our defensive structure also I suppose.

Goose is a big risk...but sometimes not taking a risk is a risk.
I am not too sure about his so called defensive pressure he has never been one to tackle that much in any case.

I would rather see a smaller player play if Max is unfit IMO...

Maybe Armatage or Eddy IMO....

They have a far better defence pressure to their game and both are worthy for promotion

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I think if Max plays then he MUST play on Johnson-i Beleive he will destroy Stevie J if he plays on him

Zac takes Hawkins

Blake Takes Mooney (Mooney isnt very good anywya)

Baker Takes Stokes

Ray gets Varcoe and tries to proivde some run

Fisher gets Chappy
So if Max doesn't play, Gilbert gets Stevie J?
Otherwise, where does Gilbert play?

reincarnated

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Mooney is out of form.

I think Armo will but the other 2 options seem to be Gwilt or Dempster. IMO Dempster isnt ready but the coach and fitness staff would know a hell of a lot more than me.
Wouldnt mind any of those in's considering the difference scenarios os streching geelongs backline or having another good kick in the team, having another in and under player or goose who i want to see back in some capacity