Captain Marvel - Garry Lyon (Riewoldt the marvel, not Garry)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trojan
Club Player

Captain Marvel - Garry Lyon (Riewoldt the marvel, not Garry)

Captain Marvel
Garry Lyon | July 1, 2009

NICK Riewoldt was soundly beaten by Geelong's Harry Taylor in last year's qualifying final. He was kept to just nine possessions, five marks and one goal in the 60-point Geelong victory.

The following week he had 20 possessions, took 15 marks and kicked five goals in the saints 34-point victory over Collingwood.

In round one this season, the...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 30108.html

matrix
Saintsational Legend

username says it all.....................

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if Trojan is bagging Riewoldt or not. BUT the article certainly isn't. Garry Lyon writes one of the most complimentry articles I've read on Riewoldt, and basically suggests that Rooey is set to settle a score against Taylor this weekend. Also suggests that Rooey should be rated with Ablett as the premier player in the comp this year.

I personally reckon Riewoldt will beat Taylor easily. In last years final he beat Taylor on the lead constantly but for some reason couldn't handle the ball. Many times rooey was competing with 2-3 defenders as well. No-one can beat that many defenders consistently. Taylor is an improving backman, but if he breaks even with rooey we could be in a bit of trouble. Not even in Riewoldts class I reckon.

Trojan
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:username says it all.....................
I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean. (What does matrixcutter mean?!) :)

I apologise if you took it the wrong way. As the above post by moods suggests, it's probably the most complimentary article on Roo written this year.

Hopefully Roey can rip it up on Sunday and we can all wallow in a glorious victory!

GO SAINTS!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I think it's b/c you have only put the first 3 lines in the article in - which suggests that Taylor as Roo's measure, but the following week he went on to dominate.

Your username 'TRojan' suggests Virus or infection.

Big game this week, everyone's on their toes - trust no-one. :lol:

Beej
Saintsational Legend

You can only go into a game with this mindset if you have done the work in preparation. Riewoldt is a superb athlete who complements that with a punishing training schedule. Grant Thomas, his former coach, told me recently of a conversation in London on a training camp with Olympic Gold medal-winning 110-metre hurdler Colin Jackson.

On observing Riewoldt training, Jackson turned to Thomas and said: "Give me that blond-headed kid for 18 months and I'll have him competing in the 400 meters at the Olympics." He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion during training. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No. 12 jumper.
Brilliant

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Can't wait for Roo to carve Harry Taylor up - sick of hearing that kid get talked up. That pair of thugs, Scarlett and Milburn, will have their hands full this time around and won't be there to help him triple-team his opponent. Or good luck to them if they do - I love seeing Kosi kick bags of six.

roxanne
Club Player

Lyon is the first commentator to dare state the obvious - that Nick Reiwoldt, is the most impressive player of the 2009 season.
Last edited by roxanne on Wed 01 Jul 2009 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Beej
Saintsational Legend

roxanne wrote:First one to dare state the obvious - that Nick Reiwoldt, to this point is [size=0][si[/size]ze=18]the[/size] player of the 2009 season.
Sing it, sista! 8-)

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

The Hirsute Lyon I believe had a ghost writer.

Was very well written , and spelled out exactly how hard Roo has been working for the ball this year.

What I like this year is the fact that Roo and Kosi seem to keep distance and don't spoil each other as I reckon I'd seen quite a bit in the past.

What a great pair to have in the fwd 50 ,,, bring in Goddard to the FWD for a spell , then drop him down back depending on the opposition ,, hell , we can even let Zac drift up fwd if Max is taking care of business ,, then we got Joey with running goals ,, NDS having a shot these days , Lenny and Grammy kicking a few and to cap it all off the Tiprat and Schniederman .

I don't just like it ,,

I love it !!!!!!!

Carn 'N' Saints

What will be next from this club ?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Great article. If Lyon did in fat, write it himself, my opinion of him has gone up. Great to see Roo getting the acknowledgment he deserves.