Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dempster

4 games now.....

held Bowden to 14 possesions and had an impact aswell - Bowden generally gets 35+ in the ressies and is still one of Richmonds best players.

Interesting....

Maguire - 99g, 25yo
Armitage - 16g, 21yo
Dempster - 75g, 24yo
Gwilt - 43g, 23yo
Eddy - 15g, 21yo
Raph - 45, 23yo
L.Fisher - 55, 25yo
Begley - 29, 23yo

That is a fair bit of experience running around in the two's......

Steven King 224g, 30yo suspended....2 weeks away

Tom Lynch 18yo, Rhys Stanley 18yo and Jack Steven 19yo yet to debut and all very impressive

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I suspect he'll come in if Max isn't right.

With Fisher, Blake and Zac between them covering the talls, Dempster seems a better, more athletic fit than Maguire.

IMO, of course...

roxanne
Club Player

Couldn't agree more. I've said in another post somewhere that he'll come in for Max and play on Johnson and kill him. Then go on to kick the winning goal - or at least the sealer. I know it's a lot to expect from his first game back from a knee reco.....but, if anyone can do it, he can.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
rocksolid
Club Player

Just wondering if Dempster has had enough match practice yet.

I was under the impression he was still a few weeks off.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i have been saying all year that sean d was important because of cats small forward line and our tall backline.

would not be in the least surprised if he played this week instead of max.

will go straight to stevie j.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I reckon give him another week, element of structure surprise for the finals, and give the current incumbents a chance in a big game I reckon

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

roxanne wrote:Couldn't agree more. I've said in another post somewhere that he'll come in for Max and play on Johnson and kill him. Then go on to kick the winning goal - or at least the sealer. I know it's a lot to expect from his first game back from a knee reco.....but, if anyone can do it, he can.
Yep, agree totally, he's a gun. :D

Qld Saints Supporter Group
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm not trying to be argumentative or have a go at anybody, but I am constantly amazed at the apparent hero worship of Dempster among some forumites.

I feel the same excitement at the idea of his coming back into the top 22 as I would at the prospect of the return of a Leigh Fisher or a Robert Eddy: ie, good player at his best, but not exactly a matchwinner.

Dempster has good foot skills and can kick the ball a long way, but doesn't do this particularly often (5.4 kicks per game on average throughout his career: rising to 7 kicks per game playing for the Saints). He has only kicked 11 goals in his entire 73 game AFL career, but he seems to have some skills here as well: I recall him kicking a match winning goal for us in some game last season (can't remember which one).

Other than this, he seems to be a defensive, negating sort of player who - when he is playing at his best - will be more or less invisible (but, importantly, so will be his direct opponent).

Simlar to Bakes, but without Bakes's hardness in the contest and ability to force turnovers and get his own ball.

Is there something more to Dempster than this which I have somehow missed, and which leads some posters on here to call him a "gun" and otherwise get really excited at the prospect of his return to AFL?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saint vince
Club Player

meher baba wrote:I'm not trying to be argumentative or have a go at anybody, but I am constantly amazed at the apparent hero worship of Dempster among some forumites.

I feel the same excitement at the idea of his coming back into the top 22 as I would at the prospect of the return of a Leigh Fisher or a Robert Eddy: ie, good player at his best, but not exactly a matchwinner.

Dempster has good foot skills and can kick the ball a long way, but doesn't do this particularly often (5.4 kicks per game on average throughout his career: rising to 7 kicks per game playing for the Saints). He has only kicked 11 goals in his entire 73 game AFL career, but he seems to have some skills here as well: I recall him kicking a match winning goal for us in some game last season (can't remember which one).

Other than this, he seems to be a defensive, negating sort of player who - when he is playing at his best - will be more or less invisible (but, importantly, so will be his direct opponent).

Simlar to Bakes, but without Bakes's hardness in the contest and ability to force turnovers and get his own ball.

Is there something more to Dempster than this which I have somehow missed, and which leads some posters on here to call him a "gun" and otherwise get really excited at the prospect of his return to AFL?
I agree even if he comes in at the exact level he went out on (highly unlikely with an acl) I am not sure who he would replace from the side last week.

I didn't get to many games last year but he must of offered a lot you couldn't see on tv.

roxanne
Club Player

Actually Meher Baba, I think you sum up Dempster pretty well except his invisible work has been very visible to me. I disagree about his degree of hardness - he is very tough and completely nullifies whoever he plays on. With all due respect to L. Fisher and R Eddy, he is more skilful, especially with his delivery into the forward line. A big weakness in our game imo.
He is also one of our few players capable of kicking a goal from outside 50.
He was a huge loss going into the finals last year. I know several Sydney people who weren't fussed about losing Schneider but completely flumoxed that the Swans would release Dempster.
I realise he's coming back from a knee and not too much should be expected but I'm just rapt he's playing so well in the VFL and can't wait for his return- this week maybe.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
aussiejones
Club Player

I reckon Lyon knows Dempster pretty well .
In contrast Lyon would not have seen a lot of Maguire.

So I would expect Dempster in the side first.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:I reckon Lyon knows Dempster pretty well .

I reckon if that is the reason Dempster gets a game ahead of Goose then RL should go. I think coaching is a bit more scientific than that.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I reckon if that is the reason Dempster gets a game ahead of Goose then RL should go. I think coaching is a bit more scientific than that.
Heads Maguire, Tails Dempster.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Dempster

BigMart wrote:Gwilt - 43g, 23yo
Thats very surprising.

Has Gwilt really played 43 games ??

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Would be interested to know what sort of player Steven is.

A lot on here seem to rate this kid very highly.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Need another quicker player down back...

We definitely need another quicker player down back to match the opposition smalls... DEMPSTER does tend to play much smaller than his height and does a good negating role on small quick forwards.

Look at GEELONG's scoring last week it was nearly all from thier small midfield brigade running through or resting in the forward line. If we were to line up as we did against Richmond their smaller mids will cause us major problems.

If HUDGTON doesn't come up it will be a choice between DEMPSTER & STEVEN with the committee to more likley to go towards DEMPSTERS previous experinece and not introduce STEVEN in such a big game!

In any event I think it is time for the match committee to look at another small pocket player instead of BLAKE....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Need another quicker player down back...

WinnersOnly wrote:We definitely need another quicker player down back to match the opposition smalls... DEMPSTER does tend to play much smaller than his height and does a good negating role on small quick forwards.

Look at GEELONG's scoring last week it was nearly all from thier small midfield brigade running through or resting in the forward line. If we were to line up as we did against Richmond their smaller mids will cause us major problems.

If HUDGTON doesn't come up it will be a choice between DEMPSTER & STEVEN with the committee to more likley to go towards DEMPSTERS previous experinece and not introduce STEVEN in such a big game!

In any event I think it is time for the match committee to look at another small pocket player instead of BLAKE....
For me, if Dempster were to come in, it would be for Geary (but I would prefer to see Armo come in). I think we have to replace Max with either a running back (Raph or even perhaps Begley) or someone to play as 3rd forward (Gwilt or Lynch).

Playing Steven down the back in his first AFL game seems like a very high risk strategy to me.

As for the idea of dropping Blake, I just can't come at it. Have a look at the points against tally for the Saints this season. Blake has been a constant and major contributor to that outcome. He is an essential player IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
kaos theory
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:We definitely need another quicker player down back to match the opposition smalls... DEMPSTER does tend to play much smaller than his height and does a good negating role on small quick forwards.

If dempster is recovering more quickly than expected, then I woud be keen to play him, if maxy is out. Its a good sawp. He adds pace to the backs, which it is lacking, and that will not be addressed by goose. Its a better structure too, keeps a balance between tall befenders, rebounders who set up play, pace, hardness & good skills/decision making.

I wouldn't drop geary, no way. He is an important skillful link player through the mids. Wouldn't be dropping blake either...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I'm not trying to be argumentative or have a go at anybody, but I am constantly amazed at the apparent hero worship of Dempster among some forumites.
I assume that you are overstating things with the "hero worship"...but many on this forum are like me and value Dempster becuase of his TEAM football abilities...

Why I like Dempster.

TEAM football is what is required to win a flag.

Dempster is a very good defender with a long booming kick...and can run forward and snag a goal. He has quite good pace and can play on smalls and if require can play asa run with tagger.

He is better decision maker than Blake and a much better kick and runner. Blake is better at a KP...but Demspter is much better option on the flank.

For the same reason Schneider is an asset...another former Swan that you do not value. RL realised that our forward line lacked the abillty to apply forward pressure and that schneider is very good at this....which adds to his offensive.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Blake is the weak link of a miserly defence..........he is well suited to CHB on a tall with a big engine, but lately has found himself (due to our ridiculously oversized backline) on a medium......and in trouble when the ball comes in quick......he panics and gives away poor frees....

the opposition often sag off blake when we get the ball in defence......because they know he is not going to take the game on and always pick the safe sideways option....therefore it gives the opposition time to roll back....

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:...
For me, if Dempster were to come in, it would be for Geary (but I would prefer to see Armo come in). I think we have to replace Max with either a running back (Raph or even perhaps Begley) or someone to play as 3rd forward (Gwilt or Lynch).

As for the idea of dropping Blake, I just can't come at it. Have a look at the points against tally for the Saints this season. Blake has been a constant and major contributor to that outcome. He is an essential player IMO.
It's a matter of team balance and we need someone that is a solid match up to take Johnson? I doubt they will play GILBERT in that role again as Johnson has given him a touch up on two previous occasions and we need GILBERT to play the sweeping role down back.

If Max plays he gets Johnson otherwise DEMPSTER is my choice if he is ready - just on agility/skill !

Match ups -

HUDGTON v Johnson
DAWSON v Hawkins
FISHER v Mooney
GILBERT v Rooke
BAKER v Byrnes/Stokes
RAY v Varcoe
MONTAGNA v Kelly
GOODARD v Mackie
BLAKE v who ? ABLETT / CHAPMAN doesn't have the pace or agility DEMPSTER does....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Whie they are similar in height they perform very differently and will play different positions and roles.

Who plays first is not a direct competition between them.

Goose: CHB...possibly FB (though I don't like him there), BP on talls, possible third marking forward, possible relief ruckman playing mainly as a follower,

Dempster:
HBF, verstalie BP..but more likely to take Mediums to Small than talls, run with tagger, winger.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dempster's appeal

Able to match up on the following finals teams fwds/Mids....if needed

Geelong: Varcoe (HF), Corey (W), Johnson (HF - not deep), Chappie (HF)

WB: Murphy (HF), Griffen (W), Higgins (HF), Gia (HF)

Coll: Thomas (HF), Pendlebury (W)

Adel: C.Knights (HF), Thompson (HF), Goodwin (HF)

Ess: Monfries (HF), Winderlich (HF)

Milton66
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
Well, if you're in Tassies and don't get to any games, then yes... you've missed a heap.

They guy was good enough to play in a premoership side based on a defensive gameplan.

I'd be more concerned about the Armo and Steven hero worship... who've done SFA to date.

Dempster is bigger odds to play than Goose this year.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
claystreet
Club Player

I dont think Dempster will play its far too early.

Blake will play, has been in involved in how many winning games this season?

How people can have Dempster back in the AFL so soon has got me beat.

:?