ross learnt alot about his line up today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ross learnt alot about his line up today

first up. If gilbert is to be used in the forward line it is to create a mis- match. He can't play as a perminant forward for a couple reasons. First is that we lose his run from the back and our backline structure falls apart. We had three pure defensive players in dawson, max and blake. None can break the lines (though dawsons use of the ball is VERY impressive for a full back).

Secondly it would take a couple of years IMO to get him used to the creation of space as a forward. He seemed to use the same space as the other big two and was not effective. Moved back to half back and he turned the game. So we need to look at another option for that third forward option. (on that, using schneider more is one option not used currently).

Also I admit that today we saw the only reason to keep blake in the side. When max went down our backline still held up very well match up wise because neil slotted easily into that position. Can we afford to carry a utility as a pure back up in the modern game? Does it decrease our midfield rotation?

Also realy impressed that we used both dal and ball down forward. If ling goes to dal he needs to work to half forward and work a milne, mini or schneider into the middle. Dal only needs to get half a dozen kicks at half forward to be dangerous. Once he gets hi hands onto the ball he is able to work into the game more.

Baker holds his spot just on his work off the ball, he shepards and bumps into the opposition taggers at every opportunity. Joey was tagged but the likes of baker and geary worked hard to create space for him.

This team just needs tweaks and grinding games will happen when playing against lower sides as they will pack the middle and defense to hold on.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Foz
Club Player

Great post - Ross and yourself it seems !

Gilbo is the instigator of rebound footy that Chips was (whats happened there?) and Goose was some years back. Gilbo seems to want to get back there and take on the game. He is vital next week in rebounding.

Bakes seems to be a vital cog with the 1%'s - he also is pretty quick when the engine is stoked, problem is when he is flat footed on a Stevie J type, could be dangerous.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

superb post

being top heavy is certainly a concern i've posted about on numerous ocassions... what's the answer though?

only 1 i can think of playing Blake as a back up ruck for the next 2 weeks.

As for Gilbo, I posted in another thread that at this point in time, he's simply not good enough to play forward atm. Doesn't have the attributes. He's a much more effective backman. It's harder to play forward than back.

Maybe we could try playing Sam Fisher forward! Seems to be struggling a tad atm otherwise I still think that 1 of Raph or Gwilt needs to come in at the expense of a backman

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Fisher's been on the end of a forward-tag the last two weeks and has been taken completely out of the game on both occasions.

Houlihan and yesterday it was Hislop.

MasonCJ2
Club Player

Extraordinary development in twelve months from Gilbert. Genuine All Australian chance. He's clearly not the most polished by foot, but he has improved that incredibly - by a degree something I thought not possible. His hands below his knees and his tackling is superb. Is there a better tackler in the comp? Those arms must nearly drag along the ground!

We are a sniff
starsign
Club Player

Baker holds his spot just on his work off the ball, he shepards and bumps into the opposition taggers at every opportunity. Joey was tagged but the likes of baker and geary worked hard to create space for him.
good observation here in a great post overall

One would think Bakes knows indelibly from his own tagging work the value of this!

I am very impressed with Farren Rays work down back each week also
We have had a great get there!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

MasonCJ2 wrote:Extraordinary development in twelve months from Gilbert. Genuine All Australian chance. He's clearly not the most polished by foot, but he has improved that incredibly - by a degree something I thought not possible. His hands below his knees and his tackling is superb. Is there a better tackler in the comp? Those arms must nearly drag along the ground!
The best part is that we have ten years and more from him to come :D

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

MasonCJ2 wrote:Extraordinary development in twelve months from Gilbert. Genuine All Australian chance. He's clearly not the most polished by foot, but he has improved that incredibly - by a degree something I thought not possible. His hands below his knees and his tackling is superb. Is there a better tackler in the comp? Those arms must nearly drag along the ground!
By the way you must be involved in the legal profession to have a name like that MasonCJ :wink:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
kaos theory
Club Player

Baker reminded us of why he is valuable to the team. His 1%er were fantastic.

Geary came back to form as well...

Agree on gilbert, needs to stay back...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gilbert to johnson
make the prick accountable
or
baker to johnson
smash him (god i hate the prick) and cop one for the team :P

gilbs, what a story, what a gun....must stay down back...
with chipper getting the tag and the 'drag away' by opp players gilbert has stepped up (again) and is instrumental in our backline formation.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

like the thought of chips going forward or another option is to use him on the big forward like the job he did on brown.

It's also important to note in our discussions about structure that if dempster comes in baker could work into the middle as a hard working inside midfielder.

Kudos to ross for trying something with gilbo forward and backing his players. Didn't work but worth the try. He backs his players more then any other coach I have seen.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:It's also important to note in our discussions about structure that if dempster comes in baker could work into the middle as a hard working inside midfielder.
i like..... and a possible thing
dempster in, takes johnson (if max doesnt get up)
bakes then to a middle rotation
ohhh
baker and lingy in the middle

is it sunday yet?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
Solar wrote:It's also important to note in our discussions about structure that if dempster comes in baker could work into the middle as a hard working inside midfielder.
i like..... and a possible thing
dempster in, takes johnson (if max doesnt get up)
bakes then to a middle rotation
ohhh
baker and lingy in the middle

is it sunday yet?
Bakes days as a midfielder are well and truely over. Not fit enough to play there anymore and to slow by hand and foot. He is cramping playing full time in the backline.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hmmm
if he's that bad then he shouldnt be picked plugger

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:hmmm
if he's that bad then he shouldnt be picked plugger
No I still see him as a very important player but there is no way he could go with anyone in the middle.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

BAKES needs more urgency when he receives the ball...

BAKES needs more urgency when he receives the ball ! On a lot of occasions he is caught flat footed and dynamic movement doesn't seem his first thought. Because of this he and Max for that matter immediately look to give off the ball and on a lot of occasions deliver to someone in a worst position than themselves.

If their first reaction was to get on their bike and move to space rather than stand flat footed they would create space for their team mates and would be a lot more effective.

BAKES is playing his role down back but if he could carry the ball and draw opposition it would take the pressure of his team mates.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!