3 first round picks....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

3 first round picks....

How are they tracking are they going to eventuate????

Armitage......very hard inside mid, much in the Luke Ball mode

McEvoy.......mobile Ruck/Fwd with good size.

Lynch.......Smart 3rd fwd....

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Too early to tell with all three as it stands.

Armitage's next run in the side will make or break him.

McEvoy, we hope, will be a late developer.

Never seen Lynch play.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Armo...a bit behind. Needs to work harder. Was stiff to get injured pre-season or otherwise he may have ben selected. as it stands it is hard for him to force his way in as McQulater has been doing the chop across HF with great defensive pressure. Geary has been ok..but has probably been favoured as he is a better runner than Armo. Will have to bide his time or possibly may end up being traded to GC. I think RL favours a high work rate and disciline...and this has cost rmo senior games.

McEvoy on track. Stll a long way off...but he is a ruckman..so no need to panic.

Lynch. On track. Moves well and importantly knows when to move... Will be interesting watching him next year when he hasa few more kilos on. There is lot to like...ut he has been inconsistent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:...Armitage's next run in the side will make or break him...
When do we have to give up an absolute "gun" to the Gold Coast Wankers?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

maybe we are doing a slow and steady development like montagna, mqualter, fisher and blake?

maybe they aren't expecting or forcing players to be guns in the first 20 minutes they are at st kilda?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BallBanger
Club Player

2005 - Watts
2004 - McQualter
2003 - R.Clarke

Jury still out on 2 of these...

We've had a wretched run in selection of a grade players with our 1st draft pick
Last edited by BallBanger on Sun 21 Jun 2009 9:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaos theory
Club Player

Feel good about lynch; mcevoy should be good in a few yrs time, but I've got concerns about armo.

It seems almost unbelievable that he was taken about two picks behind selwood 3 years ago.....

Selwood is now elite, while armo still in the vfl & has some work to do....hope he has a big second half of the yr...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:maybe we are doing a slow and steady development
** We also have a good list at present with few injuries and many players in good form.

** This makes it harder for young players to force their way in.

** The Saints are looking for finals sucess this year...and not in several years asa priority and so this means that there is little emphasis on blooding players in the seniors.

** Our first round picks are not in the first few and being less gifted it id also harder to force there way in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armo was just average today but had the flu during the week. May make an average in and under player but will never be elite. Ben is way to early to call as is Lynch but signs are ok on him.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Armo was just average today but had the flu during the week. May make an average in and under player but will never be elite. Ben is way to early to call as is Lynch but signs are ok on him.
If Armo had the flu during the week he wouldn't have played today. He may have had a seasonal cold, but not the flu.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Armo was just average today but had the flu during the week. May make an average in and under player but will never be elite. Ben is way to early to call as is Lynch but signs are ok on him.
If Armo had the flu during the week he wouldn't have played today. He may have had a seasonal cold, but not the flu.
Had the flu during the week. Doesnt have it now so he played. Would have weakened him though.

Sam23
SS Life Member

i hate it when people call a cold 'the flu'

tis frustrating.

if he had 'the flu'

i highly doubt he would've played this w/e

Goddard.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:i hate it when people call a cold 'the flu'

tis frustrating.
Agreed. Armo had the flu.

marksnsparks
Club Player

I find it annoying when people write off young player too early. Armo has talent IMHO, but an attitude problem that dwarves that.

If he turns that around we could have another Stevie J...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:I find it annoying when people write off young player too early. Armo has talent IMHO, but an attitude problem that dwarves that.

If he turns that around we could have another Stevie J...
I keep hearing this attitude problem but what is it. Maybe when he started he wasnt as fit as he should have been but that was 3 years ago.

Sam23
SS Life Member

LEts be honest tho.

Our first round draft picks over the past 6 years has been ordinary and our recuiters need to look at themselves IMO.

Lets just leave Lynch and McEvoy out of it but the previous 4 def. don't look like being anything more than GOP?

Throw Brad Howard into the mix who will be delisted at years end and we've been shocking.

Goddard.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:LEts be honest tho.

Our first round draft picks over the past 6 years has been ordinary and our recuiters need to look at themselves IMO.

Lets just leave Lynch and McEvoy out of it but the previous 4 def. don't look like being anything more than GOP?

Throw Brad Howard into the mix who will be delisted at years end and we've been shocking.
What an incredibly stupid post.

Look at recruiting in entirety. Why not look at Steven and Heyne and then players like Fisher and even Gwilt.

Some first rounders just dont make it.

Armo is just twenty and will be a terrifice in and under.

Wake up before making such dumb statements. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BallBanger
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

Look at recruiting in entirety. Why not look at Steven and Heyne and then players like Fisher and even Gwilt.

Ignore jb s23..jb did not understand why you would not pick a smokie 2nd round in a strong draft when most likely you would get him later..somewhat hypocritical

Sam23
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:

Gwilt is a GOP.

Congrats.

We hit a smoky at 70 who is a GOP and not in our best 22.

While Raph, Armo battle it out in the reserves and Watts has been delisted.

McQualter also a GOP.

To defend our picks is ridiculous.

Please wake up before defending our recruiting with dumb statements.

Goddard.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Players drafted after Armitage from the class of 06

Andrejs Everitt
Nathan Brown
Mitch Brown
Riewoldt
Jetta
Urquhart
Proud
Tippett
Alwyn Davey
Nathan Krakouer
Houli
Reimers
Gray
Josh Hill
Sam Sheldon

Urquhart and Josh Hill apart, there's not much there in terms of future gun midfielders.

Armo's attack on the footy is something to behold. If he can find his feet, massive upside.

ace
Saintsational Legend

3 more first round draft picks

TRADED

2001, round 1, pick 17, traded for Heath Black :twisted:

2002, round 1, pick 6, traded for Barry Brooks :roll:

2006, round 1, pick 17, traded for Fergus Watts :shock:

How are they going?

Going, going, GONE.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Sam23
SS Life Member

Lets look at our drafting since 2006

David Armitage pick 9 - Looks like he may be a decent in and under type. Battling away in the reserves. Jury still out but doesn't look like he will ever be a great player, hasn't really developed at all since drafting. Still not a great fitness and can't even run out VFL games.

Brad Howard pick 27 - one that continues to gobsmack me. You can't just pick an AFL player with a second round pick because their quick. Shocking skills and no footy smarts. Players like Bachar Houli, Kyle Reimers, David Mackay went well after him who are all quick and are good footballers.

Jarryd Allen pick 57 - Injurys have hampered him so would be a bit harsh to comment.

Mathew Ferguson pick 74 - Simply was never going to make the cut and could've probably got Brad Howard here.

Fergus Watts pick 17 - Traded to get the CEO's son to the club. I'd say this has been discussed enough and not the recruiters fault.

Sam Gilbert pick 33 - Great pick! Really came along well.

Michael Rix pick 49 - This one really baffles me. Decided to draft a mature age ruckman who blind freddy could tell was a great VFL player, not quite good enough for AFL player. With quality players like Lonergan, Patful, Stokes, going after him.

Phillip Raymond pick 63 - delisted.

Justin Sweeney pick 71 - delisted.

Andrew McQualter pick 17 - Took a long time to develop and was delisted and then picked up and has developed into a GOP. Players who look to be great like NVB and Brent Prismall went well after him. Dissapointing.

Cain Ackland pick 33 - Laughable. Ivan Maric a capable mobile young ruckman went after him.

Mark McGough pick 49 - :?: :?: :?:

James Gwilt pick 63 - Has developed into an average player who has been on the cusp of our side this year. Good pick from pick 63.

Raphael Clarke pick 8 - This one screams of trying to get the brother to the team. Has been just OK since we drafted him. Fair enough it was a weak draft but our first round draft picks seem to have a similar tone.

Sam Fisher pick 55 - The best of the lot in terms of value for pick.

Craig Callaghan Pick 65 - lol

Really how do you rate that as good drafting JB.

Only GUN to come out of that lot has been Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert.

Please before telling me to think before making dumb comments have a look at the cold hard facts our drafting has been very ordinary.[/b]

Goddard.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:Lets look at our drafting since 2006

David Armitage pick 9 - Looks like he may be a decent in and under type. Battling away in the reserves. Jury still out but doesn't look like he will ever be a great player, hasn't really developed at all since drafting. Still not a great fitness and can't even run out VFL games.

Brad Howard pick 27 - one that continues to gobsmack me. You can't just pick an AFL player with a second round pick because their quick. Shocking skills and no footy smarts. Players like Bachar Houli, Kyle Reimers, David Mackay went well after him who are all quick and are good footballers.

Jarryd Allen pick 57 - Injurys have hampered him so would be a bit harsh to comment.

Mathew Ferguson pick 74 - Simply was never going to make the cut and could've probably got Brad Howard here.

Fergus Watts pick 17 - Traded to get the CEO's son to the club. I'd say this has been discussed enough and not the recruiters fault.

Sam Gilbert pick 33 - Great pick! Really came along well.

Michael Rix pick 49 - This one really baffles me. Decided to draft a mature age ruckman who blind freddy could tell was a great VFL player, not quite good enough for AFL player. With quality players like Lonergan, Patful, Stokes, going after him.

Phillip Raymond pick 63 - delisted.

Justin Sweeney pick 71 - delisted.

Andrew McQualter pick 17 - Took a long time to develop and was delisted and then picked up and has developed into a GOP. Players who look to be great like NVB and Brent Prismall went well after him. Dissapointing.

Cain Ackland pick 33 - Laughable. Ivan Maric a capable mobile young ruckman went after him.

Mark McGough pick 49 - :?: :?: :?:

James Gwilt pick 63 - Has developed into an average player who has been on the cusp of our side this year. Good pick from pick 63.

Raphael Clarke pick 8 - This one screams of trying to get the brother to the team. Has been just OK since we drafted him. Fair enough it was a weak draft but our first round draft picks seem to have a similar tone.

Sam Fisher pick 55 - The best of the lot in terms of value for pick.

Craig Callaghan Pick 65 - lol

Really how do you rate that as good drafting JB.

Only GUN to come out of that lot has been Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert.

Please before telling me to think before making dumb comments have a look at the cold hard facts our drafting has been very ordinary.[/b]
I cannot believe recruiters cannot use hindsight before they pick up players. We are excellent at using it on this site.

Sam23
SS Life Member

not a matter of using hindsight just a matter of seeing that our picks have not been good. no point sugar coating it.

Goddard.
Quixote
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:Players drafted after Armitage from the class of 06

Andrejs Everitt
Nathan Brown
Mitch Brown
Riewoldt
Jetta
Urquhart
Proud
Tippett
Alwyn Davey
Nathan Krakouer
Houli
Reimers
Gray
Josh Hill
Sam Sheldon

Urquhart and Josh Hill apart, there's not much there in terms of future gun midfielders.

Armo's attack on the footy is something to behold. If he can find his feet, massive upside.
Yeah good point, but Sam Sheldon (given Vossy's number) and Albert Proud are looking pretty good. Also wouldn't mind Alwyn Davey and Tippett is going to be a very handy forward.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo