Att: AFL, Ch 7, Ch 10, mcg, Etihad Stadium !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Att: AFL, Ch 7, Ch 10, mcg, Etihad Stadium !!

When you go to work on the 2010 FIXture, please consider what was done to StKilda commercially with the 2009 FIXture. Remember, we were preliminary finalists in 2008;

You dealt us 5 games at the start of the season, all against non-Victorian clubs

You dealt us 3 ONLY Friday night games in 2009. All three being away games. Two of these were at AAMI Stadium v Port & Adelaide, the other being in front of 51,000 fans v Carlton at Etihad Stadium.

You dealt us an experimental Monday Night game v Collingwood (another away game) where we drew a crowd of 48,000+. It was not our fault that Collingwood could not compete on the night and we won by 88 points

You dealt us 5 Sunday Twilight games. These are the poorest drawing games for a wide variety of reasons. The 1st of the 2 games v Essendon in this timeslot drew a crowd of 46,000+

You tried to change the venue, then changed the time of our Rd 14 clash with Geelong to cater for the demand and interest in this game. That alone speaks volumes on the interest in our (and Geelong's) brand of footy

You dealt us an away game v Hawthorn in Tasmania. This would have pleased Hawthorn and The Tasmanian Government

We were the 1st club to put our hands up to help fill the void on the Gold Coast when Nth Melbourne pulled out (the $400,000 helped)

You dealt us ONE game ONLY at the MCG. Rd 22 v Melbourne, who is one of the poorest drawing clubs in the AFL.

We are currently sitting on TOP of the AFL Ladder at 12-0 and a percentage of 173%. It is universally accepted that we are playing a very exciting brand of footy

All that us passionate saints people ask is for A FAIR DEAL when you compile the 2010 FIXture. We want the chance to prove to you and the rest of the football world THAT, GIVEN A FAIR DEAL StKILDA CAN STAND ON IT'S OWN TWO FEET !!
Last edited by Eastern on Mon 15 Jun 2009 9:17am, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dont worry we will get an excellent fixture next year as we have done the right things by the networks. Players are always available and RL has been great as well. I think we realised that we didnt let enough players be available to the media last year.

Having said all that it may be good regarding times played and being on FTA but we may have to play some very good sides with less than 7 day breaks which is the consequence of friday night footy.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Dont worry we will get an excellent fixture next year as we have done the right things by the networks. Players are always available and RL has been great as well. I think we realised that we didnt let enough players be available to the media last year.

Having said all that it may be good regarding times played and being on FTA but we may have to play some very good sides with less than 7 day breaks which is the consequence of friday night footy.
We have hardly played any Friday night footy and in some cases we are still only getting a 5-6 day break.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Dont worry we will get an excellent fixture next year as we have done the right things by the networks. Players are always available and RL has been great as well. I think we realised that we didnt let enough players be available to the media last year.

We have hardly played any Friday night footy and in some cases we are still only getting a 5-6 day break.
:oops:
Last edited by Eastern on Sun 14 Jun 2009 8:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
saint75 wrote:

2 x Friday Nights this year. Both as the away side v Port & Carlton !!
Ahhh 3 ....Crows at AAMI in Round 2

Your Seniors moment is excused :roll: 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Read again..............I've learnt how to use the "edit" button :lol: :wink: !!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

We played a crap brand of footy last year, so of course we were never going to get alot of TV coverage this year

that should change next year tho

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

Eastern wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Read again..............I've learnt how to use the "edit" button :lol: :wink: !!
The saying that you can't teach OLD dogs new tricks is proven wrong again. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Very good opening Post....send it off to AFL headquarters!

reincarnated

Re: Att: AFL, Ch 7, Ch 10, mcg, Etihad Stadium !!

Eastern wrote:When you go to work on the 2010 FIXture, please consider what was done to StKilda commercially with the 2009 FIXture. Remember, we were preliminary finalists in 2009;

You dealt us 5 games at the start of the season, all against non-Victorian clubs

You dealt us 3 ONLY Friday night games in 2009. All three being away games. Two of these were at AAMI Stadium v Port & Adelaide, the other being in front of 51,000 fans v Carlton at Etihad Stadium.

You dealt us an experimental Monday Night game v Collingwood (another away game) where we drew a crowd of 48,000+. It was not our fault that Collingwood could not compete on the night and we won by 88 points

You dealt us 5 Sunday Twilight games. These are the poorest drawing games for a wide variety of reasons. The 1st of the 2 games v Essendon in this timeslot drew a crowd of 46,000+

You tried to change the venue, then changed the time of our Rd 14 clash with Geelong to cater for the demand and interest in this game. That alone speaks volumes on the interest in our (and Geelong's) brand of footy

You dealt us an away game v Hawthorn in Tasmania. This would have pleased Hawthorn and The Tasmanian Government

We were the 1st club to put our hands up to help fill the void on the Gold Coast when Nth Melbourne pulled out (the $400,000 helped)

You dealt us ONE game ONLY at the MCG. Rd 22 v Melbourne, who is one of the poorest drawing clubs in the AFL.

We are currently sitting on TOP of the AFL Ladder at 12-0 and a percentage of 173%. It is universally accepted that we are playing a very exciting brand of footy

All that us passionate saints people ask is for A FAIR DEAL when you compile the 2010 FIXture. We want the chance to prove to you and the rest of the football world THAT, GIVEN A FAIR DEAL StKILDA CAN STAND ON IT'S OWN TWO FEET !!
All those starts just confirm you are a whinger, you are drawing two different situations, us being 12-0 and us getting a poor draw

did the afl know that we were going to be 12-0? i think they did and gave us a 'poor' draw anyway

how was anyone to know

spyglass
Club Player

Eastern wrote:. Remember, we were preliminary finalists in 2009;
I hope not...I see a slightly more optimistic result

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:You dealt us an away game v Hawthorn in Tasmania. This would have pleased Hawthorn and The Tasmanian Government
This may have also pleased somebody else! :D :D :wink: :wink:

BallBanger
Club Player

reincarnated wrote:
Eastern wrote:When you go to work on the 2010 FIXture, please consider what was done to StKilda commercially with the 2009 FIXture. Remember, we were preliminary finalists in 2009;

All those starts just confirm you are a whinger, you are drawing two different situations, us being 12-0 and us getting a poor draw

did the afl know that we were going to be 12-0? i think they did and gave us a 'poor' draw anyway

how was anyone to know
Commercial draw...
We only play the following one also: -
Carlton
geelong
richmond
collingwood
hawthorn

Essendon we play twice...now this is 1 out of 6 of the biggest drawing clubs in Melb we play twice.
I have not checked but I bet collingwood essendon carlton would get to play most of these teams twice every year...while playing each other and collingwood promising to play melb awaygame (queens birthday) north away so they have to wear away jumper it leaves us subsiding these clubs by playing the poorer drawing clubs..
Not to mention we are the least televised free to air as well equal (vic club) with melb in number of sunday games...
We are also the most televised live pay tv melb club against the gate.

Now i know we were very boring last yr but carlton have been on the bottom for most of the decade playing sht/dull footy but still making claims to commercially good draws.

Thomas even said on f/c that he did not know why supporters did not rebel.

This is fact not whinging

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

spyglass wrote:
Eastern wrote:. Remember, we were preliminary finalists in 2008;
I hope not...I see a slightly more optimistic result
Bugga. Got a year ahead of myself :oops: . Corrected now !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:

how was anyone to know
Please accept my apologies for posting something that people like your good self don't quite have the intelligence to understand. Let me dumb it down a bit for you;

I was talking about the "COMMERCIAL" aspect of the 2009 FIXture. That is the Friday Nights, MCG games, blockbusters etc that the club has a chance of making a profit from. It was widely acknowledged that we got the poorest COMMERCIAL FIXture in the AFL for 2009. This, after we were preliminary finalists in 2008. I then went on to point out that StKILDA IS capable of drawing HUGE crowds and HUGE Television audiences, if and when given the opportunity.

If you call "Wanting a FAIR DEAL" for MY club WHINGING then so be it. I must have a very different set of standards to you. You might believe that it's OK for Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond & Hawthorn to take the cream off the top of the FIXture year in & year out. I DON'T !!
Last edited by Eastern on Mon 15 Jun 2009 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Launcestonsaint wrote:
Eastern wrote:You dealt us an away game v Hawthorn in Tasmania. This would have pleased Hawthorn and The Tasmanian Government
You weren't forgotten. I was talking of the unimportant people, not the IMPORTANT people :lol: :wink: !!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
reincarnated wrote:

how was anyone to know
Please accept my apologies for posting something that people like your good self don't quite have the intelligence understand. Let me dumb it down a bit for you;

I was talking about the "COMMERCIAL" aspect of the 2009 FIXture. That is the Friday Nights, MCG games, blockbusters etc that the club has a chance of making a profit from. It was widely acknowledged that we got the poorest COMMERCIAL FIXture in the AFL for 2009. This, after we were preliminary finalists in 2008. I then went on to point out that StKILDA IS capable of drawing HUGE crowds and HUGE Television audiences, if and when given the opportunity.

If you call "Wanting a FAIR DEAL" for MY club WHINGING then so be it. I must have a very different set of standards to you. You might believe that it's OK for Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond & Hawthorn to take the cream off the top of the FIXture year in & year out. I DON'T !!
Put me down as a whinger then also. We have been pulling exceptionally good crowds to the grounds and on TV (even when they claimed we were playing 'boring' footy last year). Not good enough by the AFL and it needs to be addressed next year!

bigmicka
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Having said all that it may be good regarding times played and being on FTA but we may have to play some very good sides with less than 7 day breaks which is the consequence of friday night footy.
We play very good sides on less than 7 days break now. What would be the difference AA?

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
reincarnated

Eastern wrote:
reincarnated wrote:

how was anyone to know
Please accept my apologies for posting something that people like your good self don't quite have the intelligence to understand. Let me dumb it down a bit for you;

If I were you I wouldn't slag off a someone due to intelligence, there is no correlation between me labelling you a whinger and my intelligence

Other sides are much more sexy than us presently, hence why we do not get the 'commercial' deals we obviously desire, the draw isn't great for us in terms of getting the right people and larger cash to the club however the only way to do that considering we aren't a big four is a flag win, nothing more nothing less

Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton are always going to be the mainstays and the bigger clubs in terms of exposure (not always members) within Melbourne however i believe there is a chance of us (with careful decision making) to dethrone Richmond and become a big 4 club

Currently we are imbetween the big 4 as they stand and the battlers that in 20 years a few may not be around, this is a good step as only a few short years ago we were considered among them, which wasn't good for the medium term future

We have built (again through good management in a few steps) a solid football club that has the ability to strengthen off the field through performances on the field, nothing else will assist this now

As stated previously the only way for us to increase 'commercial' revenue/exposure is through on field performances, no amount of lobbying and whinging from corporates or supporters will assist this

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
Launcestonsaint wrote:
You weren't forgotten. I was talking of the unimportant people, not the IMPORTANT people :lol: :wink: !!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Eastern wrote:
reincarnated wrote:

how was anyone to know

If I were you I wouldn't slag off a someone due to intelligence, there is no correlation between me labelling you a whinger and my intelligence

Other sides are much more sexy than us presently, hence why we do not get the 'commercial' deals we obviously desire, the draw isn't great for us in terms of getting the right people and larger cash to the club however the only way to do that considering we aren't a big four is a flag win, nothing more nothing less

Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton are always going to be the mainstays and the bigger clubs in terms of exposure (not always members) within Melbourne however i believe there is a chance of us (with careful decision making) to dethrone Richmond and become a big 4 club

Currently we are imbetween the big 4 as they stand and the battlers that in 20 years a few may not be around, this is a good step as only a few short years ago we were considered among them, which wasn't good for the medium term future

We have built (again through good management in a few steps) a solid football club that has the ability to strengthen off the field through performances on the field, nothing else will assist this now

As stated previously the only way for us to increase 'commercial' revenue/exposure is through on field performances, no amount of lobbying and whinging from corporates or supporters will assist this
I'm pretty sure there was an advertisment put in The Age by the Club in late 2007 when we were searching for a Major Sponsor that quoted a very impressive figure in relation to being one of the most watched CLubs on TV.

IMHO the whole issue of the draw/fta tv coverage comes down to what the TV channels want. If our games provide them with ratings then they'll want more of our games - simple as that.

I don't recall seeing a similar figure for season 2008 but I'd be surprised if there was a drop-off in television viewers to our games.

In the second half of last year, we played pretty 'sexy' (to use your terminology) footy and were very exciting to watch, so it would seem to dispel the proposition that our lack of fta coverage is due to us playing 'unsexy' footy and therefore losing tv ratings.

It may well have more to do with CH7 and 10 trying to placate Foxtel (who tip in a shyteload of money for the rights) by offfering them more of our games to braodcast?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Maybe your theory is right MrMagic......St Kilda is a very soft target to screw with the draw......you can't touch the big clubs without them having a big sook to the media, who will listen.

On the other hand, we all know what happens when St Kilda sooks about the draw - we get shafted harder!

Clearly, the AFL owe our club an apology for the appauling commercial draw.

I don't give a F*** if our footy was a bit dull last year, it's no excuse to be shafted commercially as bad as Melbourne.

The fact that the rank-and-file (read: non-Saintsational!) Saints fans haven't whinged much to the media/SEN/3AW etc shows how apathetic they are IMO....