Gilbo up forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

send out the runner
Club Player

Gilbo up forward

Now that Gwilt has been dropped( even though I thought he has been servicable), this may be a great opportunity to play Sam up front. He has a great overhead mark, can put enormous pressure on the Carlton defense and has plenty of speed.

The beauty of Gilbo, Sam, Goddard, Blake and even Zac is we can put anyone of them up forward - al a Goddard against the Weagles. I feel we will be pleasantly suprised tonight to see something different up forward.

Personally I like Gilbo down back for his run and carry, his defensive marking and his brilliant tackling.

Loving the anticipation of who's on who and where they will line upon with such a big game........ Already got the white board out for two weeks time!! .........Match up heaven

Milton66
SS Life Member

If we can afford him, I'd put BJ fwd. But he might be earmarked for the middle. Sam is too valuable down back IMO, if we are to keep both MAx and Zac.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
aussiejones
Club Player

Putting Gilbo up forward ...even for a qtr ...to spice things up a bit ( ok we are a settled side )
Or even Goddard again ....it worked last time.

It is essential we get off to a good start tonight

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Who's he gonna displace up forward? The downside is, given his influence down back, it might give away goals at the other end and produce nothing.

Carlton can't match us player for player, so I don't see the need to play with the line-up too much tonight.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Good call, I think you're right. Going back to pre-season when Max was fit, Gilbo was up front. Now Max is back, Dawson is kicking butt, it's a good time for Gilbo to go forward. Still love him down back too :)

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand this obsession about moving players playing well in defence to the midfield or up forward for no apparant reason..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:I don't understand this obsession about moving players playing well in defence to the midfield or up forward for no apparant reason..
Thank goodness. There is another one.

send out the runner
Club Player

So who takes Gwilts spot up forward? Milney will fill the spot our changing mids took up while he was on leave.

What or who do you suggest ?

older saint
SS Life Member

Agree- why do we needto change the most miserly backline in the AFL.

Gilbert needed for Betts
Goddard to surprise up forward early ala WC game.

UNLESS

Milne last WD and Gwilt back in

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:I don't understand this obsession about moving players playing well in defence to the midfield or up forward for no apparant reason..
Doesn't anyone read what I put up on here? :cry:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'll add you as well. Well thats 3 that have no idea now.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'll add you as well. Well thats 3 that have no idea now.
:lol:

Heyne is gonna make a late debut for Kosi tonight...just wait.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I reckon a lot of posters on here underestimate what forwards do and therefore seem to think just about anybody can play forward. Maybe this was true once upon a time. But, in the modern game, with most teams playing one or more spare men in defence, those guys who play forward all of the time have to work extra hard for each and every touch they get, as well as sometimes having to roll back into defence when the opposition's loose men go on a run.

I have watched Kosi, Riewoldt and Milne run themselves ragged every week. Gwilt spent more time than them on the bench, and still struggled to keep up. Schneider also runs hard some of the time, but his effort tails off for part of the game.

Can Gilbo or Dawson do any better than Gwilt? I doubt it. And I don't think we'll see it tonight. I reckon we'll see BJ and a resting Gardi alternating up front, with McEvoy being expected to do more than 50% of the ruck work.

If this arrangement doesn't work out especially well (and I'm worried that the lineup selected for tonight will lack some of the attacking edge we have had so far this season), I reckon the selectors will contemplate bringing back Gwilt next game and using Blake as the second ruckman (with Dawson playing CHB).

Anyway, time will tell.
Last edited by meher baba on Fri 12 Jun 2009 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but in my opinion Gilbert is not a forward.....at all.

saintlee
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:Or even Goddard again ....it worked last time.
He played up forward for a while against the Roos and did nothing....so its been a mixed bag for BJ up forward....although it certainly worked against the weagles....

aussiejones
Club Player

Re Goddard Looks a bit out of form ...so perhaps a change of role ?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbo up forward

send out the runner wrote:The beauty of Gilbo, Sam, Goddard, Blake and even Zac is we can put anyone of them up forward - al a Goddard against the Weagles. I feel we will be pleasantly suprised tonight to see something different up forward.
Zac? How do we know he can play forward? He's had one shot this year which was a mongrel but admittedly was a goal. That's the first goal of his career. He averages 3.9 marks a game (of course, playing back) so we have no real reason to suspect that he might be a great marking player. Why would we have confidence in playing him forward?

None of the rest except Goddard have ever shown anything as forwards at the highest level - including Blake, who's been thrown forward numerous times without ever really giving much down there.

Yes, we can throw them forward, they're big enough to do something vaguely useful, but let's not talk about them as great white hopes until they actually give us some reason to do so.

saintlee
Club Player

bergholt wrote:Zac? How do we know he can play forward? He's had one shot this year which was a mongrel but admittedly was a goal. That's the first goal of his career. He averages 3.9 marks a game (of course, playing back) so we have no real reason to suspect that he might be a great marking player. Why would we have confidence in playing him forward?
I could be wrong on this, but I believe Zac came to Hawthorn as a forward way back when, however given they had Buddy and Roughie, and no full back, he was developed as a backman....

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

think Gilbo will stay in defence covering the spot Clarke had.

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbert is in All Australian form as a back, why play him forward ? If anyone goes forward it will be B.J.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Halo-9 wrote:think Gilbo will stay in defence covering the spot Clarke had.
ah yeah I forgot Raph was out :oops:

hotdish
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote: why play him forward ?
BECAUSE HE TRAINED AS A FORWARD ALL PRE-SEASON!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote: why play him forward ?
BECAUSE HE TRAINED AS A FORWARD ALL PRE-SEASON!
and within two quarters of rnd 1 showed himself to be a far better defender!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
send out the runner wrote:The beauty of Gilbo, Sam, Goddard, Blake and even Zac is we can put anyone of them up forward - al a Goddard against the Weagles. I feel we will be pleasantly suprised tonight to see something different up forward.
Zac? How do we know he can play forward? He's had one shot this year which was a mongrel but admittedly was a goal. That's the first goal of his career. He averages 3.9 marks a game (of course, playing back) so we have no real reason to suspect that he might be a great marking player. Why would we have confidence in playing him forward?

None of the rest except Goddard have ever shown anything as forwards at the highest level - including Blake, who's been thrown forward numerous times without ever really giving much down there.

Yes, we can throw them forward, they're big enough to do something vaguely useful, but let's not talk about them as great white hopes until they actually give us some reason to do so.
Just had to dig this one up, sorry bergholt, I wouldn't have believed it myself!

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!! Absolute gold.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Rossy reads the forum, even during the match :lol: