7 wins to secure top 4 spot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

7 wins to secure top 4 spot

The way I see it we need to win 7 of the last 11 games to secure a top 4 spot.
Of course the Bulldogs would have to win all 11 games in the second half of the season and make up at least 60% +.
Looking at our draw I have two big question mark games, Geelong & Hawthorn (mainly because it is played in Launceston).
Small question mark games are Carlton and Sydney in Sydney.
However if we play at even 85% of our best we will beat both Carlton and Sydney easily.
Carlton's defence is very suspect and their forwards can be shut down, which has been our specialty this year.
Sydney can bog you down on that toy ground up there, but we can close them down more effectively that they can do us.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually 7 wins secure a top 2 spot, sorry just came off a twelve hour shift.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 7 wins to secure top 4 spot

3rd generation saint wrote:The way I see it we need to win 7 of the last 11 games to secure a top 4 spot.
Of course the Bulldogs would have to win all 11 games in the second half of the season and make up at least 60% +.
Looking at our draw I have two big question mark games, Geelong & Hawthorn (mainly because it is played in Launceston).
Small question mark games are Carlton and Sydney in Sydney.
However if we play at even 85% of our best we will beat both Carlton and Sydney easily.
Carlton's defence is very suspect and their forwards can be shut down, which has been our specialty this year.
Sydney can bog you down on that toy ground up there, but we can close them down more effectively that they can do us.
5 wins will enough but we wouldnt want to go into the finals with 5 out of 11. We need to go into the finals with at least 7 wins in the second half of the year. Toughest games in order would be geelong, hawks, dogs and sydney.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Lets just take it one week at a time & if we're good enough the rest will take care of its self imo

Leo.J
SS Life Member

17 wins is usually enough for top 2.

In 07 and 03 - 15 was enough.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

IMO the top 5 will be out of the Saints, Cats, Dogs, Hawks, Pies.

So top 4 will get you a home final most probably...but thats still an eternity away and we don't want to be getting ahead of ourselves now do we?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Actually 7 wins secure a top 2 spot, sorry just came off a twelve hour shift.
I'm really not very good at maths but....we are currently 4 games and a crap load of % away from 3rd so surely with only 11 games to go in the season we would really only need to win 6 more to hold 2 spot and that would mean the doggies would have to go undefeated for the rest of the season which is very unlikely!! I think 5 more will seal 2nd spot

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Be positive you negative lot.
I'm looking for 11 out of 11 coming home to secure top spot with 22 zip.
Carn the Sainters.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Just to put our % in perspective..

We are 66% clear of the 3rd best % (carlton 116%)

Collingwood won by 11 goals on Monday and only increased fom 100% to 107%

As each round goes by it becomes harder to increase your %..thats Grade 4 maths

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Cro
Club Player

saint66au wrote: As each round goes by it becomes harder to increase your %..thats Grade 4 maths
We did a pretty good job on ours Round 22 last year. :wink:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Whether we finish first or fourth doesn't really mean a thing this year (unless an interstate team get in). So the whole scenario debate is meaningless. Unless we are scared of meeting the cats first up?

If we did fall to third or fourth it means one or two teams will have had a far better second half to their season than us so we would probably fear anyone in that circumstance.

The whole final 8 system is poor and doesn't reward the top team, and on some occasions (last year, and probably this year) doesn't differentiate between the top four, excepting that fourth is generally an easier opponent than third or second. I'd rather have my team finish fourth but with better current form, than finish first but tailing off.

Basically 5 wins will secure a top 4 spot and then the focus is on hitting the finals with our best 22 fit and firing.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "