Xavier Clarke's future at the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Xavier Clarke's future at the Saints

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

In the early May days when Xavier Clarke was sore in body and worried in mind after learning his season was over before it began, comfort came in the form of a visit from his coach, Ross Lyon.

Clarke, nursing a reconstructed knee and out of contract at the end of the year, was assured by Lyon that while this season would be a personal write-off there was going to be a St Kilda future involving him.

"I was pretty groggy, but Rossy pretty much said to me he would like to have me at the club next year, and as long as he's there he would do pretty much anything he can to keep me at the club," Clarke told Superfooty program Front and Square.

"I think I still have a lot to offer. I'm 25 and I would like to think I have three or four really good years in senior footy."

Clarke's knee injury came after extensive setbacks from hamstring complaints.

It occurred while playing an away match for the Saints' VFL affiliate Sandringham against Williamstown, when Western Bulldog-listed Wayde Skipper laid a strong tackle.

The diagnosis was a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"It is frustrating, I was injured last year for most of the year, missed a lot of games, and unfortunately now I've got the ACL," said Clarke.

"Big Skipper from the Bulldogs, he ran me down in a tackle and as he slung me I landed on my knee at the same time, and I knew straight away something was up, and unfortunately it was the worst."

Clarke said he had questioned his future in the game.

"You have those doubts, the last three to four years I haven't been able to play a full season of footy," he said.

"I have always worked on my body, put on weight, lost weight, tried a lot of different things and felt I had the balance right this season, and was pretty confident and looking to break back in to the side."

Clarke said watching his teammates win their first 10 matches was difficult and exciting.

"At the start it was hard, because you feel the club is on the right track to do something special, and you never know what that might be, but I am happy for the boys," he said.

St Kilda's decision to leave in-form defender Jason Gram out of its senior line-up two weeks ago was in keeping with a zero-tolerance stance on the pursuit of professionalism, Clarke said.

"The club in the last two or three years has built a strong reputation on being as professional as you can and doing everything you can and doing everything right to play great footy," Clarke said.

"We are in a position where the players are going really well and we can't afford to lay back and take things easy."

I like Ross's style.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Good news IMO

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

As much as I like X, I'm just not sure he has the body for AFL footy.

Each spot on the list is valuable (after all, there's only 38 spots) so everyone needs to be able to play when called upon. Will X be on the injured list more than he plays? The past few years unfortunately suggest so...

The Saints are coming!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

That is fantastic news.....

Only because I rate Xavier and want him at the club.

Others might think differently.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross will get himrightg. he will be an asset IMO.

“Yeah….nah””
james rose
Club Player

Having just done my ACL myself (I got off easy though, just a strain) I understand how important the support of the club you are at is, it is great to see Ross on the front foot with our players and making sure the mindset is there for a good recovery and hopefully that sets them up for good form when they return.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Wayde Skipper, you are a dog.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Beej
Saintsational Legend

He wouldn't be much value on the trade table when you think about it so Ross is right in giving him assurances of his future at the club.

Xavier will need to really knuckle down to get his body right and taking away any doubt over his future will be extremely important in helping him get through it.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Wayde Skipper, you are a dog.
do ya reckon he did it on purpose? really?

GrumpyOne

X is a quality individual and a bloody good football player.

He has had the year from hell so far this year...... Family tragedy, the collapse of the Unity Foundation, and now this injury.

I sincerely hope that he is given the opportunity to prove that he warranted his high draft selection.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Geeze I don't know with X. Showed alot of promise in his early days, but its been a dam long time since he was in among the best players. I don't think he is tough enough mentally and very injury prone. Is he worth it? Well Ross seems to think so, but how many chances do you give a player. Jayden Attard wasn't allowed that luxury.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Offer him the base salary contract, hasn't done a full Pre season in years don't know what he offers I would say depth but always seems to be injured isn't up to it IMO. But good to see the club supporting it's own

saintly
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:X is a quality individual and a bloody good football player.

He has had the year from hell so far this year...... Family tragedy, the collapse of the Unity Foundation, and now this injury.

I sincerely hope that he is given the opportunity to prove that he warranted his high draft selection.
when did the collapse happen?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

RL did ok with Gardi....

X Mark 2 will deliver the goods. :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:RL did ok with Gardi....

X Mark 2 will deliver the goods. :wink:
Regardless - it's the right message and a good message from RL to X. It's that kind of support that gets commitment and loyalty to a coach.

BTW - X mark 2 will be good ;)

hotdish
Club Player

Good to see RL supporting Xavier. At worst the club can delist him and re-draft him for free: I don't think many clubs will be looking to draft a 25 year old coming of a knee reco who has played 48 games in 5 seasons.

GrumpyOne

saintly wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:X is a quality individual and a bloody good football player.

when did the collapse happen?
The foundation went into bankruptcy around the end of april, from memory.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:Good to see RL supporting Xavier. At worst the club can delist him and re-draft him for free: I don't think many clubs will be looking to draft a 25 year old coming of a knee reco who has played 48 games in 5 seasons.
And even though this may sound harsh maybe we shouldnt either. It will depend on how much he wants or what we are prepared to pay because we are going to be right in the salary cap next season as we will not have use of the veterun list.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
hotdish wrote:Good to see RL supporting Xavier. At worst the club can delist him and re-draft him for free: I don't think many clubs will be looking to draft a 25 year old coming of a knee reco who has played 48 games in 5 seasons.
And even though this may sound harsh maybe we shouldnt either. It will depend on how much he wants or what we are prepared to pay because we are going to be right in the salary cap next season as we will not have use of the veterun list.
Assuming Max retires?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Assuming Max retires?
Well I think we should all prepare for it especially as he is being kept out of the side by a younger player who you would think will be with us again next year.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I know its a feel good story, and I really do feel for X, but Im not sure he has a future with the club, and whilst it is a good sign of unity to stick fat with a player during injury, Im not convinced he'll deliver the goods if he ever makes it back to full fitness...

It has been a long, long time since he has done well at senior level... At his very best he was never dominant, so its a serious long shot to hope that he has something to offer 2010 and onwards...

Personally, I'd hope we'd have many more that jump ahead of him in the pecking order by this time next year, as this would mean some serious development by our recent draftees, and unless he is on the very base wage, I dont think he should be retained....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

re veterans- 10 year?

so Lenny and Jason B will /or may both be eligible-

re Xavier- the foundation went into receievership and after paring back their programs Allan and Pter King have kept the Lighthouse houses under a new name. It would seem that Xavier is no longer involved.

the Foundation suffered the way of many organisations- hard to make ends met when your working on DONATIONS- unfortunate when they were providing two things- support to kids in schools and utilising sportsment from 2/3 codes in a useful manner.
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 04 Jun 2009 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Assuming Max retires?
Well I think we should all prepare for it especially as he is being kept out of the side by a younger player who you would think will be with us again next year.
max said last year that this year would be his last.

won't lenny be on the vet list next year?
who will be 30 next year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Assuming Max retires?
max said last year that this year would be his last.

won't lenny be on the vet list next year?
who will be 30 next year?
Got to be 30 this year.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
ace wrote:Wayde Skipper, you are a dog.
do ya reckon he did it on purpose? really?
All the best to X in his recovery and fantastic news the club is backing him.

The incident happened right in front of me at the Willi ground.

Brilliant chase by Skipper, tackled and turned X beautifully, and was rewarded with a free.

Purely unfortunate that X twisted on the way down in a manner which did his ACL.

Immediately you could see on his face he knew it was a bad one.